News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

EU User Consent Policy

Started by AnimalToyForum, March 01, 2023, 11:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

You know those annoying pop-ups that appear on most websites that you have to click before browsing the site? Well, I'm legally obliged to add one to my websites because my sites (like all sites) use cookies to function. I've received a demand and deadline to add them to the Animal Toy Forum/Blog and so now I have to.

Nothing else is changing, it will just be a button (or buttons) to click, and I'll try and make it as unobtrusive and not off-putting as possible.

AnimalToyForum

Apologies for duplicate posts if you're seeing this on the DTF.

So, I think I've installed everything required for GDPR compliance successfully. Time will tell.

There are now two pop-ups to click (on the blog). One, in a bar at the bottom, for Wordpress. The other, which appears in the centre of the page, is for Google Adsense.

There is also now a Privacy Policy page for the blog at https://animaltoyforum.com/blog/privacy-policy/ The bar at the bottom links to it.

The Google pop-up will also appear on the forum, if that's your landing page for the animaltoyforum domain. The forum's separate Privacy Policy page, which all members will have agreed to when registering, is on this page below the Registration Agreement: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?action=agreement

Please let me know if you encounter any problems with any of this, or have any questions.

My feelings about the pop-ups. The Wordpress bar at the bottom is okay but the Google Adsense one is so intrusive, just horrible. I find it deeply upsetting that this is the first thing visitors to the site must now see instead of, say, oh I don't know, a dinosaur toy review. But that's how it is.

A bonus for all you people with adblockers: an additional Google Adsense pop-up may appear requesting you to allow ads on the Dinosaur Toy Blog specifically. So, if you're feeling kind, click that, because every pair of eyes that views an ad counts and helps the site tick along. You might even see an ad that interests you. I wish the Google ads were more relevant but apart from the occasional NHM Dippy exhibition or dinosaur toy ad, they seem mostly random.

bmathison1972

I haven't noticed anything yet. I did have to click a cookies banner on the bottom of the Blog yesterday, but no other popups. I get popups with the STS forum from work but not home. Wonder if it's the same thing. I'll check next time I am at work!

NSD Bashe

I've not seen anything at all like that, is it just for the EU?

AnimalToyForum

It should be for everyone. Do you both have adblockers?

NSD Bashe

Not that I know of...  I assume I would have to have installed those intentionally?

AnimalToyForum

Yeah, you'd know if you had adblockers. I'm not sure why you haven't seen the popups, I think they are meant to appear for everyone, and I've tested them, but then I'm in the UK. Maybe the popup does only show for users in the EU/UK, which seems likely if neither you nor @bmathison1972 have encountered it.

Once you've clicked "consent" it becomes a bar at the bottom of the page. If you look at the very bottom of this page, is there a bar that says "Privacy and cookie settings"?

bmathison1972

I have seen the 'cookie/consent' banner at the bottom of the Blog page, once each on my home and work computers. But otherwise I have never seen a pop-up. When I get to work on Monday I'll see if I see it again, since I did a complete shutdown of my computer before I left work Friday (curious if it's a once a time thing or if it resets after a shutdown/reboot).

Interestingly, I get lots of annoying popups on the STS forum but only on my work computer, never at home.

I use both Malwarebytes and C-Cleaner at home; I wonder if one of those is keeping things at bay

NSD Bashe

Quote from: animaltoyforum on March 04, 2023, 02:48:35 PMYeah, you'd know if you had adblockers. I'm not sure why you haven't seen the popups, I think they are meant to appear for everyone, and I've tested them, but then I'm in the UK. Maybe the popup does only show for users in the EU/UK, which seems likely if neither you nor @bmathison1972 have encountered it.

Once you've clicked "consent" it becomes a bar at the bottom of the page. If you look at the very bottom of this page, is there a bar that says "Privacy and cookie settings"?

No...  just a tiny little green bar that says the copyright info

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 04, 2023, 07:21:48 PMI have seen the 'cookie/consent' banner at the bottom of the Blog page, once each on my home and work computers. But otherwise I have never seen a pop-up. When I get to work on Monday I'll see if I see it again, since I did a complete shutdown of my computer before I left work Friday (curious if it's a once a time thing or if it resets after a shutdown/reboot).

Interestingly, I get lots of annoying popups on the STS forum but only on my work computer, never at home.

I use both Malwarebytes and C-Cleaner at home; I wonder if one of those is keeping things at bay
Quote from: NSD Bashe on March 04, 2023, 10:17:28 PMNo...  just a tiny little green bar that says the copyright info

I think we can conclude that only EU/UK members see the Adsense banner. That's presuming @NSD Bashe is outside of the EU/UK.

NSD Bashe

Yeah I'm in America.  I guess we don't get the pop ups here