News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

How exactly do crocodiles drown their prey?

Started by andrewsaurus, November 16, 2022, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus

Do they simply hold their breath longer than the prey can, while holding it on the bottom under the water?  Or do they need to breathe and float just under the surface with their nostrils out of the water while holding the prey's head underwater?

AnimalToyForum

Interesting question. I don't know, but I would suspect crocodiles are adapted for holding their breath for longer as part of this behaviour. I'll look into this!

andrewsaurus

That would be great.  I thought it would be easy to find the answer online but I have yet to find any details of how the croc (or alligator) drowns its prey; just statements saying it does without any specifics given.

I did find a link about a prehistoric crocodile that is believed to have the same adaption of modern crocodiles, which is a valve in its nose somewhere that closes, preventing the crocodile from inhaling water while it breathes as it holds its prey under water, with the croc keeping its nostrils above the water.   That seems to answer the question but as I thought about it, I just don't see a crocodile being able to keep its nostrils out of the water while holding a wildly struggling large animal in its mouth.....even a panicking child can drown a full grown man trying to rescue him/her in the water.

NSD Bashe

I would think that an animal adapted for life in the water as a crocodile might well be able to hold its breath longer than a prey animal that spends its life on land, especially if the prey's neck is being crushed down and it's in a panic to get away.  No expert or anything, just what I would expect in part.

EpicRaptorMan

It depends. Anywhere from 10-30 minutes for a typically. Upto 2 hours for resting or 8 hours in cold temperatures and resting.

A zebra or wildebeest certainly couldn't last this long especially when they're being bitten and torn limb from limb.

GojiraGuy1954

I don't think Drowing is what kills the prey most of the time considering Saltwater Crocodiles have a bite force of 3,700 PSI and often attack in gangs