Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Horses and other Equids

Started by BlueKrono, September 26, 2022, 05:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

I've been looking for a horse model with long, shaggy hair on its coat to represent a prehistoric ice age horse. None of the prehistoric horse models or Icelandic breed models I've seen really have that long coat, like a wooly rhino or mammoth. Does such a model exist?
I like turtles.

Gwangi

The best horse to represent an Ice Age horse would be the Przewalski's horse, shaggy or not. Ice Age cave paintings depict horses that are visually similar to the Przewalski's. Safari makes one and there are several retired ones out there, I have and reviewed CollectA's. Probably the shaggiest would be the one by Schleich (pictured below). But keep in mind that these horses would have only appeared shaggy during the winter and they would have had a summer coat when it was warmer, so the amount of shagginess probably need not be as important as other factors. There are probably figures of shaggy domestic horses but they probably won't have the appearance of a wild horse from prehistory.

Winter

Summer

Cave painting from Lascaux, France.

BlueKrono

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I'm not necessarily looking for an accurate prehistoric horse. Just looking for a shaggy one to do a diorama of this scene illustrated by Stephen Gammell, my favorite watercolor painter:
I like turtles.

Dusty Wren

My only experience with Stephen Gammell is his illustrations in the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books (which I adored as a kid and still have on my shelf), so it is surprising and charming to see him illustrate some shaggy horses ^-^