News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Diversity of Life on Earth by Bandai

Started by bmathison1972, March 26, 2022, 01:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

In 2020, Bandai started a new line of figures called Diversity of Life on Earth. This line seems to be an extension of their Dango Mushi line. So far, the figures are large, require assembly, and when completed are heavily articulated. They are models for serious collectors and not toys to be played with. So far, most of the sets have been either insects (wasps, mantids, scarab beetles, stag beetles, caterpillars) or arachnids (peacock spiders, scorpions); however, there has been at least one set of tortoises (there is an additional set of turtles and a set of lizards, but I am not sure if they are part of this line, Dango Mush, or another line). In 2022 they are supposed to be releasing a Nile crocodile in this line as well as a set of crocodile skinks.

I am going to start this topic with the figures I have. Because of the large size, I only have arthropods so far. I don't have every figure in every set. Because of their size and cost, I tried to just get one of each species, exclusive of differences such as sexual dimorphism.

One characteristic of this set, at least the insects, is that the gashapon capsule transforms into a base on which to display them. Most of the insects are flying insects and have the option of being displayed with their wings open or closed.

Figures with an asterisk (*) are, at the time of this initial post, unique in figure form (at least as a sculpt)

First up, let's look at the two collections of wasps (I believe a third set will be coming out later this year). I got all the figures in these two sets, although had I known how big they were, I may have passed on the Vespa mandarinia figure since it is so similar to the Kaiyodo Revogeo model. The figures are not the same sculpt, as indicated by among other things, variation in size. Volume 1 had three figures; Volume 2 had four.

Wasps Volume 1 (2020), left to right:
1. Asian giant hornet, Vespa mandarinia
2. Japanese yellow hornet, Vespa simillima
3. common Asian yellowjacket, Vespula flaviceps

Wasps Volume 2 (2020):
1. European hornet, Vespa crabro
2. black-tailed hornet, Vespa ducalis [the attachment point on the arm of the base broke, hence it's not on its base]
3. black hornet, Vespa dybowskii*
4. cuckoo yellowjacket, Vespula austriaca*

Another set of wasps is due later this year.

Next, we'll look at the stag beetles. So far there have been three sets, although I don't have every figure.

Volume 1 came out in 2020 and consisted of the following four species. Bandai used the Prosopocoilus dissimilis body and pronotum for all four, which results in some morphologic inaccuracies. It wasn't too bad for the P. zebra but was an obvious error for the P. giraffa (one of the reasons I didn't get that one).

1. Prosopocoilus dissimilis, black (didn't get this one)
2. P. dissimilis, brown
3. P. giraffa (I didn't get this one)
4. P. zebra

Volume 2 came out in 2021 and consisted of the following species:
1. Prosopocoilus inclinatus, larva
2. Lucanus maculifemoratus
3. Hexarthrius mandibularis
4. Rhaetulus didieri

Volume 3 came out early this year and features the following:
1. Dorcus hopei binodulosus
2. Allotopus rosenbergi
3. A. rosenbergi, black (I didn't get this one)
4. Prosopocoilus dissimilis, brown (I didn't get this one)
5. P. dissimilis, black (I didn't get this one)

Figures of the ones I bought, displayed in a Cornell drawer, clockwise from top center: P. dissimilis, R. didieri, A. rosenbergi, H. mandibularis, D. hopei binodulosus, L. maculifemoratus, P. inclinatus (larva), P. zebra.

While we are on the topic of beetles, let's look at the two sets of 'Beetles' (although to date they are all members of Scarabaeidae).

Volume 1 came out in 2021. I initially didn't get any of these, but I plan on getting one of the short-horned Dynastes hercules models from @Beetle guy
1. Japanese rhinoceros beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma, black
2. A. dichotoma, red-brown
3. Hercules beetle, Dynastes hercules, yellow, major male
4. D. hercules, black, major male
5. D. hercules, yellow, minor male (?; shorter horns)
6. D. hercules, black, minor male (?; shorter horns)

Volume 2 came out in late 2021 and features these species:
1. Caucasus beetle, Chalcosoma chiron
2. five-horned rhinoceros beetle, Eupatorus gracillicornis
3. Hercules beetle, D. hercules, blue
4. D. hercules, black
5. Japanese rhinoceros beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma

Volume 3 will be out later this year.

Figures of the ones I bought so far, displayed in a Cornell drawer (with room for future additions), clockwise from upper right: E. gradillicornis, D. hercules (blue), A. dichotoma, D. hercules (black), C. chiron.

Next we'll look at the two volumes of the Japanese giant mantis.

Volume 1 came out in 2020 and features five figures, all representing the Japanese giant mantis, Tenodera aridifolia:
1. female, green
2. female, brown
3. male, green
4. male, brown
5. clear/transparent

I only bought a brown female and a green male. Both can be displayed with their wings open, but I only did it for the male:

Volume 2 offered more species diversity (even though it was still called 'Japanese giant mantis'):
1. Japanese giant mantis, Tenodera aridifolia, male
2. T. aridifolia, female
3. dead leaf mantis, Deroplatys truncata, light brown*
4. D. truncata, dark brown*
5. Southeast Asian dead leaf mantis, Deroplatys lobata, light brown
6. D. lobata, dark brown

I only bought one each of the two Deroplatys, the dark D. truncata and light D. lobata (only the latter is displayed with its wings open):

Here is a dorsal shot of both, showing texturing:

Next up is the first (and to date only) set of caterpillars, released in 2021. Three species, all larvae of members of the genus Papilio. The figures can be displayed with their osmeterium extended or retracted (the osmeterium is within the head and can be displayed by pulling the head down, extending the osmeterium, and then positioning the head back in place). I should point out; I am not sure if these are formally part of the Diversity of Life on Earth series. They were initially advertised as such, but the accompanying papers don't have the DoLoE logo; it's possibly these were reassigned to the Dango Mushi line.

Left to right/back to front:
1. Asian swallowtail, P. xuthus
2. great Mormon, P. memnon*
3. spangle, P. protenor

Now let's look at the arachnids.

First up, Peacock Spiders, released in 2021. There are males of four species of Maratus, with a female of one of them. The abdomens of the males can be displayed flared out, or not. Except for the abdomen, the sculpts are the same, technically meaning the female M. volans is inaccurate.

From left to right, back to front:
1. coastal peacock spider, Maratus speciosus*
2. lobed peacock spider, M. lobatus*
3. flying peacock spider, M. volans*
4. masked peacock spider, M. personatus*
5. M. volans, female*

Lastly, the 2022 set of Scorpions. There are three species; with two of the species in two different sizes (I only got the smaller of those two):

1. emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator, 17 cm
2. Tanzanian red clawed scorpion, Pandinoides cavimanus, 17 cm
3. P. imperator, 10 cm
4. P. cavimanus, 10 cm
5. large-clawed scorpion, Scorpio maurus*

Left to right: P. cavimanus, P. imperator, S. maurus. These three all appear to be the same sculpt but just different colors.

That's all I have for now. I encourage others to post their figures from this line here, if you have them! Thanks!

bmathison1972

Got some new figures in the two most recent DoLoE sets.

First, Potter Wasps. This is the line-up:

1. Eumenes micado
2. lesser banded hornet, Vespa affinis
3. giant Asian hornet, Vespa mandarinia
4. Phimenes flavopictus

I got all three except the V. mandarinia, since I am well-stocked in that species. They other three are NEW in toy forum! For the two potter wasps, the nest serves as the gashapon capsule!

Next, volume 2 of Crabs. The line-up:

1. giant Japanese spider crab, Macrocheira kaempferi
2. red-clawed crab, Chiromantes haematocheir (red)
3. Chiromantes haematocheir (yellow)
4. floral egg crab, Atergatis floridus

I only got the spider crab and the red Chiromantes haematocheir. I didn't need two color versions of the latter, and the floral egg cra is the same from the first set. Mouthparts and every leg joint are articulated.

bmathison1972

Recently released, Beetles Vol. 3:

1 Goliathus goliatus
2 Dynastes neptunus
3 Dynastes grantii (white)
4 Dynastes grantii (black)
5 Xylotrupes gideon (reddish brown)
6 Xylotrupes gideon (black)

I initially only got the G. goliatus and brown X. gideon. Unlike other Beetles to date, the brown X. gideon did not come with wings (the black version did, I believe). I will have a white D. grantii coming later, as Brett accidentally ordered a couple extras (and it's a personal favorite since I grew up with them in Arizona).

EpicRaptorMan

I was once in the market for a good Japanese spider crab, but after going through the trouble with my Colorata Spiderfish I think I'm done with figures that require assembly.

bmathison1972

The third volume of the Mantids recently released. This is the line-up:

1. giant Asian mantis, Hierodula patellifera (brown adult)
2. Hierodula patellifera (green adult)
3. Hierodula patellifera (brown nymph)
4. Hierodula patellifera (green nymph)
5. orchid mantis, Hymenopus coronatus (pink nymph)
6. Hymenopus coronatus (white nymph)

The H. patellifera is a new species in toy/figure form. I only purchased the following three: 1) green adult H. patellifera, 2) brown nymph H. patellifera, and 3) white H. coronatus (the last one didn't photograph well on this pale background)

Beetle guy

Hi Blaine, The D. hercules you described as minor males (short horn) are actually Dynastes hercules bleuzeni.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on October 10, 2022, 07:24:29 PMHi Blaine, The D. hercules you described as minor males (short horn) are actually Dynastes hercules bleuzeni.

OK thanks; in that case I may not get one. I don't care about subspecies in my D. hercules :)

bmathison1972

Volume 4 of stage beetles recently released. I only got the three in the pic with an asterisk:

1. Mesotopus tarandus
2. Cyclommatus metallifer (bronze)*
3. Cyclommatus metallifer (black)
4. Dorcus rectus*
5. Anoplophora chinensis (=malasiaca)* (interesting, not a stag beetle but my favorite in the set)

AnimalToyForum

They really are amazing. Both the creatures and the figures of them. :o

bmathison1972

Recently released, Ikimono Encyclopedia Advanced Crab

Supposedly, these are more refined than earlier crabs (they do hold together more snuggly, it seems at least for now). And the sculpts are crisp and the painting is more complete.

The line-up:

1. Baptozius vinosus
2. box crab, Calappa hepatica
3. red-clawed crab, Chiromantes haematocheir
4. giant mud crab, Scylla serrata

I got all but the C. haematocheir (since I have two nice, large versions of that species). The B. vinosus is new in toy/model form and the C. hepatica has only been made by My Favorite Animals as a resin figure

bmathison1972

A couple sets were released in December, 2022

First up, Caterpillars Vol. 2.

The line-up (I only got the three with an asterisk*):

1. great purple emperor, Sasakia charonda*
2. lobster moth, Stauropus fagi*
3. Chinese peacock, Papilio bianor*
4. Asian swallowtail, P. xuthus

Next, Ikimono Encyclopedia Ants

The line-up (*-new species in toy form); I got all three:
1. bullet ant, Paraponera clavata*
2. Japanese carpenter ant, Camponotus japonicus
3. Camponotus obscuripes*

bmathison1972

recently released, Giant Devil's Flower Mantis

1. Idolomantis diabolica, adult female
2. I. diabolica, adult male
3. I. diabolica, first instar nymph*
4. I. diabolica, last instar nymph*

I only got the two nymphs, as I have a large 1:1 adult by Bandai Spirits. The two nymphs are the same sculpt, but different colors. I haven't snooped around enough yet to see if that's accurate or not.

Beetle guy

The dark nimph is the first nymph stadium, the brown the last nymph stadium. I got the Male and female as well. They are way better than the Bandai Life with insects one!
To beetle or not to beetle.

TheOwl98

Whoa, devil's flower mantids!? Been waiting for those! I figured it had to happen eventually, seeing as the previous volume was orchid mantids.

TheOwl98

Quote from: Beetle guy on February 05, 2023, 10:31:26 PMThe dark nimph is the first nymph stadium, the brown the last nymph stadium. I got the Male and female as well. They are way better than the Bandai Life with insects one!

Oh for sure! These are vastly superior to the Bandai Spirits one. The level of detail is insane.
This may be the best mantis set yet.

bmathison1972

Recently got 9 more figures from recent DoLoE sets; five of the nine represent new species or subspecies in toy/figure form!

Beetles Volume 4. I only got the three with an asterisk:

1. Cheirotonus jansoni*
2. Chalcosoma moellenkampfi
3. Golofa porteri*
4. Japanese rhinoceros beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma
5. Allomyrina dichotoma takarai
6. Goliath beetle, Goliathus goliatus quadrimaculatus (new subspecies as a figure)*

Mini Mantids and Locusts; I only got the three with an asterisk:

1. giant dead leaf mantis, Deroplatys dessicata (new species as a figure)*
2. Japanese giant mantis, Tenodera aridifolia, green
3. T. aridifolia, brown
4. ghost mantis, Phyllocrania paradoxa, green (new species as a figure)*
5. P. paradoxa, brown*
6. migratory locust, Locusta migratoria, stationary
7. L. migratoria, migratory

Stag Beetles Vol. 5; I only got the three with an asterisk:

1. European stag beetle, Lucanus cervus, brown
2. L. cervus, black
3. Prosopocoilus mirabilis (new species as a figure)*
4. Homoderus mellyi*
5. monster tiger beetle, Manticora latipennis (new species as a figure)*

Fembrogon

I recently acquired my very first figures from this remarkable line, and I've been having a ball playing around with them and trying out photoshoots. Here are a couple of basic shots for now:

Lineup:
Ikimono Encyclopedia Advanced: Crested gecko, Correlophus Cilatus (also known as the eyelash gecko)
  • Normal
  • Patternless
  • Bicolor
  • Dalmatian
Released September 2022, in the 4th week.
Sculpting is identical between figures.

From what I can tell, the Diversity of Life (Ikimono Encyclopedia) series has a few subcategories to their releases. Most of the larger, articulated figures like these geckos and many of the arthropods are listed under the "advanced" category, whereas a few others are "minis" (like some of the mantids listed above), or the occasional XL "premium" releases. There's also a "repti" category of smaller, more chibi-style articulated lizards, including a set of cresties. Personally I think these more realistic versions are more appealing.

bmathison1972

Thank you for adding to this thread, @Fembrogon

bmathison1972

The 2023 collection of Advanced Ladybugs:

1. Coccinella septempunctata
2. Harmonia axyridis
3. Illeis koebelei
4. Aiolocaria hexaspilota

bmathison1972

Some 'Diversity' additions:

First from Beetles Vol. 5 (2023), the dung beetle Copris ochus and the rabbit beetle Eupatorus birmanicus. The Copris is a new species in toy/figure form and the Eupatorus has only been made once before, to the best of my knowledge, as a boxed DeAgostini figure.

From Mantids Vol. 4 (2023), the tropical shield-back mantid, Choeradodis rhomboidea. This is actually a new species, too, as the 2021 figure by Takara represents C. stalii.