Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

taxonomy of the zebra shark

Started by bmathison1972, October 07, 2021, 02:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

This paper came out in 2019, suggesting that Forster's name Stegostoma tigrinum should have priority over S. fasciatum:

https://bioone.org/journals/copeia/volume-107/issue-3/CG-18-115/The-Sandy-Zebra-Shark--A-New-Color-Morph-of/10.1643/CG-18-115.full

I looked over it and don't see a reason not to accept it, unless I am missing something ( @Halichoeres - I am curious on your take). Wikipedia accepts this change already, but surprisingly WoRMS does not, and the latter is usually on top of name changes.

Gwangi

Interesting, I guess I should probably edit my reviews of the species.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on October 07, 2021, 02:13:13 PM

@Gwangi - if need be, I will edit the tags. I can edit them behind the scenes and will affect them for all posts (unless you can do that and want to - not sure how the rights of an editor differ from those of a poster).

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 07, 2021, 02:21:28 PM

@Gwangi - if need be, I will edit the tags. I can edit them behind the scenes and will affect them for all posts (unless you can do that and want to - not sure how the rights of an editor differ from those of a poster).

Be my guest.  :))

Isidro

Please notice that this thread is not about taxonomy of the zebra shark, but about nomenclature of the zebra shark. Taxonomy and nomenclature are often confused because the first affect the second, but they are two completely different things.

There is a thing in the Zoological Nomenclatural Code that is a protected scientific name (nomen protectum), applied when an animal have been known very widely with a binomial for long time, and when recently there is a discovery of an older scientific name that was almost non used, the well known name stays as the valid one despite being younger.  The classic example of this is the clouded sulphur butterfly, so common in Europe, Colias crocea, that have the previous but unused name of Colias edusa, thus Colias crocea is a nomen protectum and is the valid scientific name of this species. I think that something similar happen with the maguari stork, that according to priority should be called Ciconia galeata instead Ciconia maguari. I think the case of Stegostoma fasciatum is applicable.

Notice also that, if we had to follow the principle of priority and forget the nomen protectum concept, according to the article linked above the valid scientific name of the zebra shark should be Stegostoma varium, from a basionym (Squalus varius) published nothing less than in 1759 with a valid description associated. So there is no reason for accept Stegostoma tigrinum.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on October 07, 2021, 02:50:11 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 07, 2021, 02:21:28 PM

Be my guest.  :))

Done