News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Birds of Paradise: updated for Wallace Standardwing

Started by Lanthanotus, April 19, 2021, 08:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Despite their awe-inspiring presence, the family of birds of paradise is incredibly underrepresented in the toy or model market.
I am happy I could at least review one model as a fitting pair, but those are life sized paper models.
Inspired by forum member Isidro`s work I deceided to make my own "toy" bird, though it may be less durable than those paper models, given the fine feathering...

... now, here it is.... wire armature with cyanacrylat glue and baking soda, Fixit Sculpt and Super Sculptey. Due to a lack of patience (and experience) the model lacks intricate details, but for
a first bird model I am happy with it, despite for examle the underside of the wings is very crude and the armature visible.

Model represents a male of Paradisaea apoda, the  most funny bird.

Vaquita

Wow, that model is spectacular! I especially love the flank plumes. They must have been a pain in the neck to sculpt.

Lanthanotus

Thank you, Vaquita :)

In fact after trying several methods those feathers weren't that hard to sculpt, they are rather simple but look fair, but they are very fragile and therefor a pain to paint. I'd like the model more durable, but that would require another material to be used. Maybe I do another one with Tyvek paper for those feathers.

Isidro

It's fabulous, you catch very well the shape and proportions of each part for a first figure!!! I know several other people that tries to make their own animal figurines but fail getting the correct general appareance and proportions. You nailed it!
And I'm glad that my work inspired you to do homemade models!!
I would love to have a Paradisaea species in my collection, but as I would do it much smaller than yours, I would be unable to do the flank feathers enough accurately for my taste. If I would be able to do one I would chose the Blue bird of paradise, that is my favourite! :)

Lanthanotus

Thanks Isidro.

I usually do not consider scale much and especially the bird toy models in my collection are in no scale to each other, so I went for something handy.
Saw your South American toy and selfmade models which fit so perfectly together, unfortunately there`s not a lot of Papua New Guinean species on the
market anyway.

sirenia

Fantastic work @Lanthanotus !

I agree, this group really needs better representation in toy form. Ever read Drawn from Paradise? Worthwhile read to learn more about them.

Advicot

Truly great work on this fabulous species. The sculpting and painting are just wonderful!  :D
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Lanthanotus

Thanks sirenia and Advicot :)

I saw the Drawn from Paradise book but for now deceided to get the book by Ed Scholes and Tim Lamann. I'm sure I'll need more to read after that though.

sirenia

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 21, 2021, 07:22:11 PM
Thanks sirenia and Advicot :)

I saw the Drawn from Paradise book but for now deceided to get the book by Ed Scholes and Tim Lamann. I'm sure I'll need more to read after that though.

I do recommend it, as it contains a lot of useful information. I used it in my masters dissertation.

Lanthanotus

The Lamann & Scholes still being on its way I got me this one as it also includes Bowerbirds and I have a good history with Princeton University Press. Full color painted images of all species, male, female and young plumage, aswell as thorough descriptions of habitat, dispaly, breeding etc. Most species are also depicted in photos.

Well, and here`s my second trial in sculpting a bird. I have to say I am more satisfied with my Greater Bird of Paradise. The Wallace Standardwing (Semioptera wallacii) figure is probably instantly recognizable for its unique featuers ( that is, if anyone is familiar with the bird in the first place and you may excused if you are not :D), but the neck`s too long, the standards not in the right shape and the breast/flankfeathers are .... well... hard to catch in a sculpt I think. Gonna try another one soon I guess, maybe also a bit smaller. Also need to work on a reasonable texture for the plumage.

Isidro

Its absolutely perfect in terms of shape, proportions and also paintjob. One of my most favourite species of birds of paradise!