Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Is it a sin to purchase bootlegs/copies of sculpts that are already out of produ

Started by JimoAi, December 30, 2020, 12:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

For example, if the original figure is retired and it goes for high prices online, is it bad if you were to purchase a high quality bootlegs?

JimoAi

bmathison1972

Different people have their own individual philosophies. If you want to purchase a bootleg, that is up to you. I don't like to do it personally, but I also do not condemn other people for doing it. I understand that sometimes availability and cost are important concerns for the collector.

stargatedalek

Personally I think purchasing bootlegs can be fine as a way to get access to otherwise rare and unavailable figures. I used to also support the use of them for custom fodder, but I no longer do out of safety concerns as working with the plastic or paint of these figures can be dangerous.

Some bootlegs are sold by more professional companies, and so get CE marked, and these are going to be fine for customizing, but most are made using cheap or even toxic materials. It's going to be a lot worse for someone filing or cutting away at that plastic, or painting over that paint, than for a child playing with the toy.