Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Monterey Bay Aquarium cast variants.

Started by callmejoe3, December 27, 2020, 05:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 02, 2021, 01:47:36 PM
The tiger and hammerhead are still in production IMG_20210202_214501.jpg

Well that's good news, I thought it would have been weird to discontinue the hammerhead after having remastered it in 2016. I guess that also explains why both figures seem to be easy to find in retailers. I guess there must have been some sort of error with the site that prevented those figures from showing up on search results.

I that means 14 out of 24 figures are still in production after 30 years. That's a good haul.

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 30, 2021, 10:23:35 AM

IMG_20210130_182203.jpg
The older figures have a smaller black 4 digit number. Here's the IC snapping turtle and carnegie tylosaurus for example

It seems for some reason the Monterey Bay figures took a while to get those updates.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on February 02, 2021, 06:39:47 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on February 02, 2021, 01:47:36 PM
The tiger and hammerhead are still in production IMG_20210202_214501.jpg

Well that's good news, I thought it would have been weird to discontinue the hammerhead after having remastered it in 2016. I guess that also explains why both figures seem to be easy to find in retailers. I guess there must have been some sort of error with the site that prevented those figures from showing up on search results.

I that means 14 out of 24 figures are still in production after 30 years. That's a good haul.
They are now on search results

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 02, 2021, 06:55:51 PM

They are now on search results

I know, I just checked, but for the last few months they weren't.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on February 02, 2021, 06:41:17 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 30, 2021, 10:23:35 AM

IMG_20210130_182203.jpg
The older figures have a smaller black 4 digit number. Here's the IC snapping turtle and carnegie tylosaurus for example

It seems for some reason the Monterey Bay figures took a while to get those updates.
Which monterey bay figure was the oldest to have a 4 digit number?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 03, 2021, 05:22:27 AM

As I posted before, the dolphin, April 2019.

None of the other figures I have, some of which I bought new post-2010, have those date stamps. The only MBA figures I own that have them are the 2016 remasters: Bottlenose, Giant Squid, and Narwhal (<- Though I think the remaster for this one came out in 2017 or 2018 from what I can tell from the catalogs).

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on February 03, 2021, 02:25:17 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on February 03, 2021, 05:22:27 AM

As I posted before, the dolphin, April 2019.

None of the other figures I have, some of which I bought new post-2010, have those date stamps. The only MBA figures I own that have them are the 2016 remasters: Bottlenose, Giant Squid, and Narwhal (<- Though I think the remaster for this one came out in 2017 or 2018 from what I can tell from the catalogs).
Would check my carnegie Allosaurus of it had a 4 digit number but too and I sold it. Will check the safari ltd figures I had when I was a kid again

JimoAi

I got these 2 for my birthday and are they supposed to be in scale? They are  both made in 2018 and are the remastered 2016 ones

IMG_20210207_213843.jpg

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 07, 2021, 01:40:19 PM
  I got these 2 for my birthday and are they supposed to be in scale? They are  both made in 2018 and are the remastered 2016 ones

IMG_20210207_213843.jpg

Yeah, they're both at the 1:40 scale. It's a 10-meter whale shark vs a 14.5-meter humpback. Even though the largest whale sharks are thought to attain lengths of up to 18-meters, they're smaller than most physically mature humpbacks and gray whales on average.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on February 07, 2021, 02:04:49 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on February 07, 2021, 01:40:19 PM

IMG_20210207_213843.jpg

Yeah, they're both at the 1:40 scale. It's a 10-meter whale shark vs a 14.5-meter humpback. Even though the largest whale sharks are thought to attain lengths of up to 18-meters, they're smaller than most physically mature humpbacks and gray whales on average.
my Papo whale shark is slightly longer by a few millimeters

JimoAi

What's the measurements of the new monterey bay great white when measured along the curve? Thanks. It looks like a great white attacking a seal or something with the goblin shark pose

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 09, 2021, 03:32:46 AM
What's the measurements of the new monterey bay great white when measured along the curve? Thanks. It looks like a great white attacking a seal or something with the goblin shark pose

I don't have the new one, but the one I own from the early 2000s measures about 27.5 cm measuring from the snout to the upper lobe.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on February 09, 2021, 05:29:07 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on February 09, 2021, 03:32:46 AM

I don't have the new one, but the one I own from the early 2000s measures about 27.5 cm measuring from the snout to the upper lobe.
when did safari ltd change the casts before 2016?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 09, 2021, 07:49:21 AM
when did safari ltd change the casts before 2016?

Sorry, I misread your comment. I forgot that I labeled my 2000s Great White as ''New'', and that's what you probably meant in your original question. The one I have, AFAIK, is the same as what's currently being sold, as I have seen no indication that it has been updated or refreshed. There are only two variants that I know of, the 1990s figure that's darker, and the current one.

JimoAi

The 2016 one seems to be more bluish grey

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 09, 2021, 05:49:41 PM
The 2016 one seems to be more bluish grey

There is no ''2016'' Great white. The great white wasn't one of the figures that got remastered ( Look on the page where I posted the catalog scans, there's no ''remastered'' by its name). The one I got from the 2000s is the same as the one currently displayed on Safari Ltd's website. The same applies for the following figures:

Gray whale
Tiger Shark
Possibly the Beluga

JimoAi

Oh well, might as well use it as the Mega Tapa from The original endless ocean games or as Jaws next to the schleich female orca
https://endlessocean.fandom.com/wiki/Magu_Tapa

JimoAi

Why do you think of the monterey bay Aquarium great white as a whole? I think it's always in an attacking pose. Could i also see the top view of the tail? Thank you

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 10, 2021, 08:50:51 AM
Why do you think of the monterey bay Aquarium great white as a whole? I think it's always in an attacking pose. Could i also see the top view of the tail? Thank you

Overall, I think it's a pretty nice figure, especially for the time it came out. At the same time, I think it's arguably the worst-aging figure out of the entire MBA collection. I mean this in the sense that there has been a wide variety of better great white shark figures since the MBA figure's release, especially within the last 10 years. The biggest issue is the sculpt for the mouth and the dentition, which aged this figure the most (mouth detail is a general weak spot for the MBA figures, hence why the mouth-closed animals have aged better). Most of the other species from the MBA line are either fairly on-par with later releases or still stand as among the best existing figures for their respective species. I have similar feelings on the gray whale, but it still benefits from the fact that there aren't a lot of gray whale toys out there beyond the Maia and Borges and CollectA figures.

Here's the photo you asked for

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on February 10, 2021, 08:53:59 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on February 10, 2021, 08:50:51 AM

Overall, I think it's a pretty nice figure, especially for the time it came out. At the same time, I think it's arguably the worst-aging figure out of the entire MBA collection. I mean this in the sense that there has been a wide variety of better great white shark figures since the MBA figure's release, especially within the last 10 years. The biggest issue is the sculpt for the mouth and the dentition, which aged this figure the most (mouth detail is a general weak spot for the MBA figures, hence why the mouth-closed animals have aged better). Most of the other species from the MBA line are either fairly on-par with later releases or still stand as among the best existing figures for their respective species. I have similar feelings on the gray whale, but it still benefits from the fact that there aren't a lot of gray whale toys out there beyond the Maia and Borges and CollectA figures.

Here's the photo you asked for

I think that the mouth isn't as bad if you put something like a prey item like a seal or a tuna to attack. What do you think?