News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: Bathynomus doederleini Ortmann, 1894
Common name(s): giant deep-sea isopod

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Ikimon
Series: Nature Techni Colour - Gusokumushi and Oogusokumushi
Year of Production: 2015
Size/Scale: Body length approx. 6.0 cm for a scale of 2.1:1-1:2.3 (within scale 1:1 for a smaller adult specimen)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: These figures came as strap figures, but luckily the strap is easily unscrewed leaving a tiny non-obtrusive hole. On the paperwork, the pale yellow figure translates to albino, but I wonder if it is intended to represent a teneral (freshly-molted) specimen. It's surprising Japanese companies have made so few of this species compared to B. giganteus, especially since the latter doesn't occur in the waters around Japan whereas the type locality for B. doederleini is near Enoshima, Japan.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: West Pacific, from Japan to the Philippines
Habitat: Bathydemersal; along continental shelves and slopes at depths of 100-680 meters
Diet: Primarily a scavenger on dead animals on the sea floor
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: I had difficulty finding information on this species; there is a lot less information readily available than there is on the related B. giganteus.

bmathison1972

Species: Parantica sita (Kollar, 1844)
Common name(s): chestnut tiger

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Ikimon
Series: Science Techni Colour - Private Specimen of a Lepidopterist Acrylic Mascot 1
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Wingspan approx. 5.6 cm for a scale of 1:1.6-1:1.8
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen P. sita in the Museum, but the first as an adult. In fact, to my knowledge this is the only adult available of this species. The other two figures I am aware of, by Shine-G and Kaiyodo, are larvae. The figures in this series are essentially photographs of butterflies and moths embedded in acrylic. Flip the figure over and the underside reveals an image of the ventral side of the animal, too. They are also sold as keychains (hence the hole in the acrylic above the head).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Himalayan Mountains in Central Asia; East and Southeast Asia to Taiwan, Malaysia, Japan
Habitat: Open forests and rainforests, hills, grasslands
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the family Apocynaceae (dogbanes, milkweeds); adults take nectar from flowers
Miscellaneous Notes: There are six subspecies of P. sita, including P. s. sita (southwestern China and the Indo-China Peninsula), P. s. niphonica (Japan, Korean Peninsula, Taiwan), P. s. tytia (Nepal and northeastern India), P. s. ethologa (Indo-China Peninsula and Malay Peninsula), P. s. oblita (Palawan Island), and P. s. melanosticta (southern Indo-China Peninsula).

bmathison1972

Species: Chalcosoma atlas (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): Atlas beetle

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King - small series, standard
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length (including cephalic horn) approx. 4.7 cm for a scale of 1:2.5 for a large major male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third time we've seen C. atlas in the Museum (it's not as commonly made as the related C. chiron). Morphologically, it looks a little more like C. chiron but was marketed as C. atlas using translation software. The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures representing 65-75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The dates of release are currently unknown to me (c. 2008). The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the sets, please see the overview by forum member Beetle guy here.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia
Habitat: Primary and secondary tropical broadleaf forests, plantations
Diet: Larvae feed in decaying wood and detritus; adults feed on tree sap and overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Like several large dynastine beetles, C. atlas is named after a character in Greek Mythology. In this case it is the Titan Atlas, who was condemned to hold up the sky and heavens for eternity after the Titanomachy, a battle between the Titans and the Olympians.

bmathison1972

Species: Branchinella kugenumaensis (Ishikawa, 1895)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Microcosmos
Year of Production: 2014
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding appendages) approx. 3.5 cm long for a scale of 1.5:1-1.3:1 (see below).
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: The animal is removable from its base. I had a hard time finding a defined range for the size of this species and the range above is calculated based on average lengths of 23.5 mm and 26.5 mm for males and females, respectively, from a published study that looked at 70 specimens. It could probably scale 2:1 but it's probably too big for 1:1.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and East Asia, from India to Korean Peninsula, Taiwan, China, Japan
Habitat: Vernal and ephemeral pools and ponds, seasonal flood waters, rice paddies
Diet: Filter feeders of organic particles and microrganisms
Miscellaneous Notes: Like other fairy shrimp, B. kugenumaensis typically lives in vernal and ephemeral pools and ponds characterized by drought and inundation. When the pools are full of water, fairy shrimp are active, feeding and reproducing. As the water dries up, the eggs enter a state of diapause. The allows the eggs to stay viable until the water returns, which in some areas can be years or even decades!

bmathison1972

Species: Lama pacos (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): Huacaya alpaca

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Papo
Series: Wild Animals
Year of Production: 2019
Size/Scale: Height at withers (shoulders) approx. 5.5 cm for a scale of 1:14.7-1:18
Miscellaneous Notes: While only a handful alpacas have been made by modern western companies, several of the more familiar companies have produced them, including Bullyland (2004), CollectA (2022), Safari Ltd. (2008, adult and young), and Schleich (2012, male, female, and young; 2021, female with two young). While most alpaca figures appear to be modeled after the Huacaya alpaca, the 2018 Safari version might represent the Suri alpaca. I am not aware of any definitive figures of a vicuña (Lama vicugna), the wild ancestor of the alpaca.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Domestication occurred in the Andean Altiplano in South America and today the alpaca is bred nearly worldwide.
Habitat: Andean Altiplano
Diet: Grasses, bunch grasses, woody shrubs
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Domesticated
Miscellaneous Notes: The alpaca is believed to be descended from the vicuña (Vicugna vicugna) and domestication occurred thousands of years ago. Mummies of alpaca in Moquegua Valley in southern Peru date back 900-1000 years. Today there are two main breeds of alpaca, Huacaya and Suri. They are separated by the structure of the fibers in their coats. Huacaya alpacas have denser thicker coats and are better suited to the higher altitudes of the Andes. The Suri alpacas have a thinner, more lustrous coat and are better adapted for lower elevations. It is believed that the Suri was the dominant form in pre-Columbian Peru while the Huacaya originated in post-colonial Peru.

bmathison1972

Species: Pieris rapae (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): small cabbage white; cabbage butterfly; small white

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Caterpillars Vol. 5
Year of Production: 2023
Size/Scale: Body length approx. 6.2 cm for a scale of 1.8:1
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen P. rapae in the Museum. The last time was an adult by K&M International, and that identification was community based. Today's larva, however, was specifically marketed as P. rapae.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Believed native to the Eastern Mediterranean, with natural spread throughout Europe and Asia following the expansion of brassicaceous crops; unintentional introductions to North America, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii
Habitat: Highly variable, but usually in areas with open spaces, including open forests, bogs, fields, meadows, disturbed areas, parks, gardens
Diet: Larvae primarily feed on plants in the family Brassicaceae (crucifers), with secondary hosts in the families Capparidacaea (capers) and Resedaceae (mignonettes); adults take nectar from flowers
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated (NatureServe status is Secure)
Miscellaneous Notes: In parts of North America and Asia where P. rapae is considered an exotic agricultural pest, the parasitic braconid wasps Cotesia rubecula and C. glomerata have been introduced for biocontrol.

bmathison1972

Species: Dorcus hopei binodulosus Waterhouse, 1874

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Re-ment
Series: Insect Kingdom Magnets
Year of Production: 2010
Size/Scale: Body length (including mandibles) approx. 6.5 cm, within scale 1:1 or about 1:1.2 for a large major male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the eighth time we've seen D. h. binodulosus in the Museum; it is one of the most commonly beetle produced species by Japanese manufacturers. As the name of the set implies, the figure has a magnet on the underside. Unfortunately, the magnet is a little more obtrusive than magnets on other figures by other companies, such as those in the Ikimon/Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour line.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan, Korean Peninsula
Habitat: Broadleaf forests
Diet: Larvae breed in rotting wood; adults feed on tree sap
Miscellaneous Notes: Dorcus hopei binodulosus is popular with beetle breeders as it is very easy to rear in terraria. Its popularity has led to a nearly 300 million dollar industry in Japan alone!

bmathison1972

Species: Ardea herodias Linnaeus, 1758
Common name(s): great blue heron

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: K&M International
Series: Wild Republic - River Nature Tube
Year of Production: 2000
Size/Scale: Figure approx. 8.5 cm tall. Using culmen as a metric (n=1.5 cm) scale comes to 1:8.2-10.1
Miscellaneous Notes: Not too long ago, this figure replaced the Safari Ltd. TOOB version in my collection. I prefer the detail in color in the Safari model, but it's too small. The K&M heron scales better with the Papo grey heron and other pelecaniform birds in my collection. I would gladly replace it if and when a better standard-sized version became available. If anyone choses to pursue this figure on eBay or other sites, make sure you get one with 'in-hand' photos showing the paint job. Recently, the complete tubes have a mostly unpainted version!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: North America south to northwestern South America, Caribbean, and Galapagos; rare vagrant to the Azores and continental Europe
Habitat: Fresh and saltwater marshes, mangrove swamps, lake edges and shorelines, flooded meadows, rivers, streams, canals
Diet: Primarily fish; also amphibians, reptiles, small mammals, invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Ardea herodias is one of the largest and most widespread birds in North America. It breeds throughout much of the continental United States, the Baja Peninsula, and the Western Caribbean, although it's mainly only found in the mountainous regions of the West and Southwest during migration. It winters throughout Central America to extreme northern South America, the Galapagos, and the Eastern Caribbean. Since I started birding in 2020, I have visited 18 states plus DC and have documented the species in 15 states.

Gwangi

That's an odd figure. I know it's standing in reeds or something but it looking like it either has no legs or it's stuck in a log. This is my first time seeing it, didn't even realize it was a great blue heron at first.

I cannot believe that Safari has not produced a standard size great blue heron yet.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on July 21, 2024, 12:39:49 AMThat's an odd figure. I know it's standing in reeds or something but it looking like it either has no legs or it's stuck in a log. This is my first time seeing it, didn't even realize it was a great blue heron at first.

I cannot believe that Safari has not produced a standard size great blue heron yet.

Honestly, most of the tube set is pretty low quality. I have it but will probably let it go.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on July 21, 2024, 12:39:49 AMThat's an odd figure. I know it's standing in reeds or something but it looking like it either has no legs or it's stuck in a log. This is my first time seeing it, didn't even realize it was a great blue heron at first.

Yes, it's supposed to be standing in reeds. It's odd but it has a charm to it. You'll like tomorrow's figure much more I promise  ;)

Quote from: sbell on July 21, 2024, 01:24:26 AM

Honestly, most of the tube set is pretty low quality. I have it but will probably let it go.

Yeah, it's an odd set. The two standout figures are this heron and the marbled salamander. There is a sockeye salmon and piranha, but they are pretty poor quality, too.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2024, 03:34:11 AM

Yes, it's supposed to be standing in reeds. It's odd but it has a charm to it. You'll like tomorrow's figure much more I promise  ;)

Quote from: sbell on July 21, 2024, 01:24:26 AM

Yeah, it's an odd set. The two standout figures are this heron and the marbled salamander. There is a sockeye salmon and piranha, but they are pretty poor quality, too.

I probably got it for the piranha and salamander, but neither are good enough really.

bmathison1972

Species: †Coelodonta antiquitatis (Blumenbach, 1799)
Common name(s): woolly rhinoceros

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Year of Production: 2019
Size/Scale: Height at shoulder approx. 7.5 cm for a scale of 1:19.3-1:21.3
Miscellaneous Notes: This is Safari's second standard-sized woolly rhino, following the Missing Link model from 1997. Another impressive figure is recent years in the 2023 rendition by Mojö Fun.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle Pleistocene–Late Pleistocene of northern Eurasia
Habitat: Mammoth steppe, lowlands, plateaus, river valleys
Diet: Grazer of grasses, sedges, flowers in the summer; browser of woody plants in the winter
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Extinction of C. antiquitatis is believed to have resulted from the Bølling–Allerød warming, when an increase in precipitation transformed the low-growing grass and herb environment into habitats dominated by trees and shrubs, thus diminishing food options. The habitat and climate changes also resulted in habitat fragmentation which may have lead to extensive inbreeding of smaller, isolated populations of the woolly rhino. Although early humans did hunt wooly rhinos, they probably did not play a major role in the animal's extinction. However, because of smaller rhino populations due to habitat fragmentation, hunting of these smaller populations could have lead to faster rate of extirpation which would have contributed to the overall extinction of the species.

Gwangi

I do like this figure more but I still don't have it!  :o 

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on July 21, 2024, 01:43:27 PMI do like this figure more but I still don't have it!  :o 

Really @Gwangi ?!?! I would have guessed this was an 'immediate' purchase for you when it came out  :o  :o  :o

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2024, 03:43:16 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 21, 2024, 01:43:27 PMI do like this figure more but I still don't have it!  :o 

Really @Gwangi ?!?! I would have guessed this was an 'immediate' purchase for you when it came out  :o  :o  :o

Few things are immediate purchases for me. I prioritize things I'm going to review above all else. As long as I get it before it retires I'm content.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on July 21, 2024, 03:59:55 PM

Few things are immediate purchases for me. I prioritize things I'm going to review above all else. As long as I get it before it retires I'm content.

It feels like the time between release and retire gets shorter these days...and yet we still don't have the new Therizinosaurus...

bmathison1972

Also, for some companies (notably, Papo and Mojo), quality and paint jobs get worse over time. I have learned that if I think I'll want a figure, get it as soon as it's released. But that's just me.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2024, 07:41:12 PMAlso, for some companies (notably, Papo and Mojo), quality and paint jobs get worse over time. I have learned that if I think I'll want a figure, get it as soon as it's released. But that's just me.

Yeah, that too. Especially toob figures

Gwangi

Quote from: sbell on July 21, 2024, 07:04:26 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 21, 2024, 03:59:55 PM

It feels like the time between release and retire gets shorter these days...and yet we still don't have the new Therizinosaurus...

Yeah, it certainly seems that way!

Decreasing quality in paint jobs in a legit concern but I've rarely fallen victim to it.