Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: Orycteropus afer (Pallas, 1776)
Common name(s): aardvark

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Wildlife
Year of Production: 2015 (2005)
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding tail) approximately 8.9 cm for a scale of 1:11.8-1:14.7
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: My figure is the 2015 repaint of a model that originally came out in 2005. Largely ignored in recent years, the aardvark is getting some attention again, with a release already this year by Schleich and an anticipated release later this year by Mojö Fun. There does appear to be a minor inaccuracy on this Safari figure, if I am interpreting things correctly. There appears to be five claws on the front feet, where in the real animal there is only four.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Sub-Saharan Africa
Habitat: Grasslands, savanna, open woodlands, bushland
Diet: Ants, termites
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Orycteropus afer is well adapted for a myrmecophagous lifestyle. It's front claws are adapted for digging into ant and termite nests. It has a long, slender snout and a very keen sense of smell. It has a very long sticky tongue (up to 30 cm long) for picking up ants and termites deep within the tunnels of their nests. It swallows its prey whole and the insects are digested in the pyloric region of the aardvark's gizzard-like stomach.

bmathison1972

Species: Aepyceros melampus (Lichtenstein, 1812)
Common name(s): impala; rooibok

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Papo
Series: Wild Animals
Year of Production: 2016
Size/Scale: Height at shoulder approximately 6.5 cm for a scale of 1:11.5-1:14
Miscellaneous Notes: For such a familiar species, it has been largely ignored in the modern era by Western companies. Bullyland released a decent version recently, in 2021.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southern Africa
Habitat: Open woodlands, grassland, savanna
Diet: Primarily grasses; also herbaceous plants, forbs, fruits, and Acacia seed pods. Generally speaking, A. melampus is a grazer in the wet season and a browser in the dry season.
Miscellaneous Notes: Aepyceros melampus has different social structures depending on the season. During the wet season, there are three distinct groupings: 1) territorial males, with or without breeding females, 2) bachelor herds of non-territorial adult and juvenile males, and 3) females and their dependent offspring. During the mating season, territorial males keep smaller, tighter territories that are more aggressively defended.

bmathison1972

Species: Hemitragus jemlahicus (Smith, 1826)
Common name(s): Himalayan tahr

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Wildlife
Year of Production: 2016
Size/Scale: Height at shoulder approximately 5.7 cm for a scale of 1:11.4-1:17.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique to very rare (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: According to Toy Animal Wiki, Marx produced a Himalayan tahr in the 1950s or 1960s in conjunction with McDonalds. The toy looks small and is monochromatic, and I am not sure if that is a community-based identification or was intended by Marx. Either way, today's CollectA model is the only one produced by a major manufacturer in the modern era.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Himalayan Mountains of southern Tibet, northern India, western Bhutan, and Nepal; introduced to Argentina, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada (Ontario), and USA (New Mexico) for hunting
Habitat: Alpine and subalpine wooded hills and mountain slopes; seasonally H. jemlahicus will also use mixed oak forests and alpine meadows
Diet: Primarily grasses; seasonally, leaves of woody plants and fruit
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Near Threatened
Miscellaneous Notes: In some places where H. jemlahicus has been introduced for hunting, it has had a negative impact on native ecosystems. This has been particularly true in New Zealand, which doesn't have native grazers or browsers. The increased herbivory may also cause a decrease in soil nutrients, making it more difficult for plants to grow at all. Hunting is currently the primary method of control of tahr population in New Zealand; however, in the 1960s sodium monofluoroacetate was used to poison tahrs. The use of the chemical was discontinued due to its adverse affects on other mammals, such as cats, dogs, pigs, and deer (all also introduced) an political pressure by hunters.

bmathison1972

Species: Ostracion immaculatum Temminck & Schlegel, 1850
Common name(s): bluespotted boxfish; Japanese boxfish

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Shinagawa Aquarium
Year of Production: 2008
Size/Scale: Bottlecap base 3.3 cm in diameter. Body length approximately 4.3 cm for a scale of 1:5.8
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Minimal assembly is required and the fish is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific (Japan)
Habitat: Coral reefs, at depths of 1-45 meters
Diet: Algae, benthic invertebrates, small fish
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Like other boxfish, O. immaculatum produces pahutoxin (ostracitoxin) in its mucus secretions, a heat-stable neurotoxin with ichthyotoxic and hemolytic properties.

bmathison1972

Species: Genetta abyssinica
Common name(s): Abyssinian genet; Ethiopian genet

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Play Visions
Series: Genets, Civets, and Mongoose
Year of Production: 1998
Size/Scale: Total figure length 8.0 cm. Head-to-body length (exclusive of tail) 4.5 cm for a scale of 1:8.9-1:11.1
Miscellaneous Notes: The Genets, Civets, and Mongoose collection by Play Visions is one of the most sought-after collections in our hobby, offering several unique species, such as the banded palm civet, spotted linsang, aquatic genet, ring-tailed mongoose, and Asian palm civet, in addition to today's Abyssinian genet.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Horn of Africa (Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan)
Habitat: Coastal plains, dry lowlands and high plateaus, deciduous shrubland, montane forest, Afromontane grassland, moorlands
Diet: Small animals, including rodents, small birds, small reptiles, insects and arachnids
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Data Deficient
Miscellaneous Notes: Populations of G. abyssinica have become fragmented due to transformation of its native habitat into cropland, which is apparently unusable to the diminutive carnivoran.

bmathison1972

Species: Catonephele numilia (Cramer, 1775)
Common name(s): Grecian shoemaker; blue-frosted banner; blue-frosted Catone

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Toy Major
Series: Butterflies
Year of Production: 1996
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.3 cm for an average scale of 1.6:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The Toy Major butterflies are somewhat of an enigma. There are 12 sculpts, labeled A-L on the underside as well as the copyright year of 1996. Each sculpt has been painted multiple times, resulting in anywhere from 24-36 figures (maybe more?). Also, the different repaints may have been released over multiple years while retaining the 1996 mark. They were sold in sets of various numbers. They are not marketed at the species level, but most are painted to look like recognizable species (the identifications are mine or by other forum members). Several species produced by Toy Major have been produced by other companies of the same era (Club Earth, early Safari Ltd., etc.), as these companies tend to copy one another, and it is sometimes difficult to determine who came first. Today's figure shares a paint job with the Club Earth model that was specifically stamped as a Grecian shoemaker. Catonephele numilia is sexually dimorphic and, especially the females, extremely variable throughout its range. Today's figure was painted after a female specimen.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and South America, from eastern Mexico to Brazil and Argentina
Habitat: Tropical wet deciduous forests, often in the canopy or around forest edges
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genus Alchornea; adults feed on overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Catonephele numilia exhibits marked sexual dimorphism and extreme variation. Males are typically black with two large orange spots on the forewing and a single large orange spot on the hindwing. Females have a large cream-colored bar across the forewing and no prominent maculae on the hind wing, although in some populations have broad areas of red on the hind wings. The shape of the forewings is different between the sexes, too; males have broad forewings while females have angulate forewings.

bmathison1972

Species: Takifugu niphobles (Jordan & Snyder, 1901)
Common name(s): grass puffer; Kusa-fugu

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Freshwater Fish Pictorial Book 2
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 5.5 cm for a scale of 1:2.7-1:4.5
Miscellaneous Notes: Yujin released this collection more than once; I believe mine is from the original set. The fish is removable from its habitat-style base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific
Habitat: Demersal, usually in coastal waters at depths of 0-20 meters; occasionally entering brackish and freshwater habitats
Diet: Marine invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Takifugu niphobles is not specifically targeted as a food fish, but is popular in aquaria. However, because the fish, like many of its relatives, produces a tetrodotoxin, it can be potentially dangerous for fish it shares an aquarium with, as well as the pet's owner.

bmathison1972

Species: Allomyrina dichotoma (Linnaeus, 1771)
Common name(s): Japanese rhinoceros beetle; kabutomushi

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Chocoegg Animatales Series 1
Year of Production: 1999
Size/Scale: Body length (including cephalic horn) 4.5 cm for a scale of 1:1.8 for a large major male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the 13th time we have seen A. dichotoma in the Museum. Being one of the original Chocoegg Animatales figures, some assembly is required. This is the 'original' Kaiyodo figure and might be one of the oldest figures of this very commonly-made species, at least by a major, well-known company in the modern era.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, including China, Korean Peninsula, Taiwan, and Japan
Habitat: Tropical and subtropical hardwood forests
Diet: Larvae feed on organic detritus in soil; adults are attracted to sap and overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Allomyrina dichotoma is very popular in Japanese culture, and appears in cartoons, commercials, card games, and is bred in terraria. It is believed to be the influence for the kaiju Megalon in the 1973 Toho film, Godzilla vs. Megalon. The cultural significance of this species accounts for it being one of the most commonly-made animal species by Japanese companies.

bmathison1972

Species: Bathynomus giganteus Milne-Edwards, 1879
Common name(s): giant deep-sea isopod

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Nihon Auto Toy
Series: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length 13.0 cm for a scale of 1:1.5-1:3.8
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the fifth time we have seen B. giganteus in the Museum. I don't know much about this figure; I bought on the Japanese Yahoo! auctions years ago. It was one of two individually packaged figures sold in 'blister' packs. The two figures represent the same sculpt, only differing in color, with the other figure closer to white; I traded the white version years ago and only retained this grayer version.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: West Atlantic Ocean, from the southeastern USA to northern Brazil
Habitat: Bathydemersal, at depths of 310-2140 meters (usually 365-730 meters)
Diet: Primarily a scavenger on dead animals on the sea floor
Miscellaneous Notes: Bathynomus giganteus is an example of deep-sea gigantism (also known as abyssal gigantism), whereby deep-sea animals tend to be much larger than related animals living in shallower waters.

bmathison1972

Species: Gyrineum perca (Perry, 1811)
Common name(s): winged triton; maple leaf triton; winged frog shell

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Play Visions
Series: Small Sea Shells
Size/Scale: Shell length approximately 3.8 cm for a scale of 1:1-1:2.6 (within scale 1:1 for a small specimen)
Miscellaneous Notes: Unlike most other Play Visions toys, these small shells are not marked with either a common name or a year of production, and the species designations are my own or from input by others on the forums.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-Pacific
Habitat: Benthic; usually in muddy, gravely, and sandy habitats at depths of 50-200 meters, occasionally deeper
Diet: Benthic marine invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Gyrineum perca and many of its congeners are benthic predators on sponges, hydroids, worms, and bivalves, while others feed primarily feed on algae.

bmathison1972

Species: Dorcus tityus Hope, 1842

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King, standard series - small
Size/Scale: Body length (including mandibles) approximately 4.0 cm for a scale of 1.4:1 based on the type specimen (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the sixth species of Dorcus we've seen in the Museum. Sega marketed this figure as D. tityus, but the validity of that species in uncertain to me (see below). The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures representing 65-75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The dates of release are currently unknown to me (c. 2008). The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the sets, please see here.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: India, Bangladesh (see below)
Habitat: Hardwood forests
Diet: Unknown; presumably larvae breed in rotting wood and adults feed on tree sap
Miscellaneous Notes: I had trouble researching information on this species. An online database of the Lucanidae of the world places D. tityus as a synonym of Serrognathus lineatopunctatus (Serrognathus is generally considered a subgenus or synonym of Dorcus). Dorcus tityus, proper was described from a unique specimen collected around Sylhet (Bangladesh); however, D. lineatopunctatus sensu lato has a broader distribution in South and East Asia, including India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, China, Thailand, and Vietnam. I wrote to the author of that site, who is a colleague of mine, and he indicates D. tityus is a valid species, even though his database doesn't reflect this at the moment. He also said it should probably be in the genus Serrognathus and that molecular analyses might better resolve the relationships between Dorcus and Serrognathus.

bmathison1972

Species: Pavo cristatus Linnaeus, 1758
Common name(s): Indian peafowl

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Papo
Series: Wild Animals
Year of Production: 2013
Size/Scale: Height (exclusive of base and tail fan) 6.0 cm. Tail fan 12.0 cm wide. Scale difficult to calculate, but head-to-tail length approximately 8.0 cm for a scale of 1:12.5-1:14.4
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon to common
Miscellaneous Notes: Most companies have produced an Indian peafowl at least once, and they invariably represent a male on display as shown here today. I had trouble picking one for my collection, but I think I made the right choice with this Papo model. The only thing is I wish the tail fan was less symmetric and less evenly rounded; some variation would have been a little more realistic. The 2012 model by Schleich has such variation and even translucent areas between the fan feathers!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Native to the Indian subcontinent, including Sri Lanka; introduced to many other parts of the world, including the United States, Europe, parts of Central and South America, South Africa, Madagascar, parts of Southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand
Habitat: Open deciduous and mixed forest, cultivated fields, suburban areas; outside of its natural distribution, it is often associated with farms and other agricultural settings.
Diet: Seeds, terrestrial invertebrates, frogs, reptiles, small mammals
Miscellaneous Notes: Pavo cristatus is polygamous. Males maintain small territories and allow females to visit their territories, but do not actively guard harems, nor do females seem to favor specific males. Males attract females their elaborate courtship displays which include dazzling iridescent colors and their large 'tail' fans (although the feathers are not technically true tail feathers, but rather modified upper tail coverts). The large train of feathers is believed to be due to sexual selection by females.

bmathison1972

Species: Goliathus orientalis Moser, 1909
Common name(s): eastern Goliath beetle

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: SO-TA
Series:  1/1 Goliath Beetles
Year of Production: 2022
Size/Scale: Body length 10.0 cm, within scale 1:1 for a large specimen
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen G. orientalis in the Museum, and the last time we did, that version (DeAgostini) was still unique! Today's figure was marketed as G. meleagris, which is now considered a synonym of G. orientalis. The same sculpt was used for three other species of Goliathus in the set. Assembly is required and honestly the legs do not hold together well at all; I had to reinforce all mine with glue, and not just a school glue but something stronger. Forum member Beetle guy told me offline that the sculptor of the figures apologized on social media for the assembly issues.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: South-central Africa (Democratic Republic of the Congo, western Tanzania, northern Zambia, eastern Angola)
Habitat: Savanna; usually in shady areas with trees
Diet: Larvae live in soil and feed on detritus; adults are attracted to ripe fruit and sap flows on trees
Miscellaneous Notes: The validity of G. orientalis as a distinct species is a matter of debate. Some authorities consider G. orientalis (and its subspecies) as subspecies of G. goliatus.

bmathison1972

Species: Takydromus smargdinus Boulenger, 1887
Common name(s): emerald grass lizard; green grass lizard

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Ikimon
Series: Nature Techni Colour - Lizard and Gecko Collection
Year of Production: 2015 (2010)
Size/Scale: Figure 10.5 cm long. Snout-to-vent length approximately 4.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: This set was released three times, originally by Kitan Club in 2010 and then again by Ikimon in 2015 and 2021. Figures in this set were sold as both magnets (as mine here) and strap figures, resulting in a total of six releases of this sculpt over the years. Takydromus smargdinus was also produced by Yujin in 2002.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan; endemic to several islands in the Ryukyu Archipelago
Habitat: Forest edges, agricultural fields; usually on vegetation or in trees
Diet: Insects and spiders
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Near Threatened
Miscellaneous Notes: Takydromus smargdinus is classified by the IUCN as Near Threatened due to predation by invasive weasels and mongooses.

bmathison1972

Species: †Shastasaurus pacificus Merriam, 1895

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Prehistoric Life
Year of Production: 2023
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 26 cm for a scale of 1:27 (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: CollectA didn't indicate which species this figure represents. Without evidence to the contrary, I am considering it the type species, S. pacificus, at least for the purposes of my collection. CollectA discussed S. sikanniensis in promotional material, but made no specific claim that the figure was intended to represent that species. The scale above is calculated based on an estimated body length of 7 meters for the actual animal. If this figure was to represent the larger S. sikanniensis, the scale would be closer to 1:80. However, it should be noted that S. sikanniensis may actually be better attributed to the genus Shonisaurus or another genus all together.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Triassic (Carnian-Norian) of present-day western North America
Habitat: Pelagic
Diet: Presumably primarily cephalopods; also fish, marine reptiles
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Shastasaurus pacificus had a long, toothless mouth, suggesting it may have been a suction feeder that fed primarily on soft-bodied cephalopods that lacked a protective shell.

bmathison1972

Species: Golofa porteri Hope, 1837

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Diversity of Life on Earth - Beetles Vol. 4
Year of Production: 2023
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding cephalic horn) 6.3 cm. Body length (including cephalic horn) approximately 9.5 cm. Front femur 2.8 cm for a scale of 1.2:1 (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: Like other figures in the Diversity of Life on Earth line, this model is large, requires assembly, and may be expensive; it is not a toy to be played with. Smaller versions of this species were made by Sega and Kabaya. I had difficulty researching information on the metrics of this species. One website indicates the length is 5-10 cm, but I do not know if that includes the cephalic horn or not. A published study describing an example of teratology in G. porteri indicates the length of a normal front femur is 2.4 cm. That put the scale of this figure slightly over 1:1, which seemed big to me. However, looking at 'in hand' pics of the actual animal online, it looks like it really is that large.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central America and northern South America, from Guatemala to Venezuela
Habitat: Tropical and subtropical rainforest
Diet: Larvae develop in rotting wood; adults have been documented feeding on Chusquea (South American bamboo)
Miscellaneous Notes: I had difficulty researching information on this species. In Colombia, adults have been observed feeding and mating on Chusquea. Males use their elongated pronotal and cephalic horns in combat to secure feeding sites and mates.

bmathison1972

Species: Cynoscion nebulosus Cuvier in Cuvier & Valenciennes, 1830
Common name(s): speckled trout; spotted seatrout

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Toy Fish Factory
Series: Gulf Coast Collection
Year of Production: 2019
Size/Scale: Body length 6.5 cm for a scale of 1:3.8-1:5.5; upwards of 1:15 for a maximum-sized specimen
Miscellaneous Notes: This is one of four 'unique' species in the Gulf Coast Collection, the others being redfish, Atlantic tarpon, and common snook. And the fifth species in the set, great barracuda, is surprisingly rare in toy form!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: West Atlantic, from Maryland to Florida, and the Gulf of Mexico
Habitat: Estuarine coasts, seagrass beds, salt marshes, tidal pools; demersal, at depths of 1-18 meters
Diet: Smaller fish eat primarily marine crustaceans; larger fish prey on other fish
Miscellaneous Notes: Cynoscion nebulosus is a very popular game fish, both for commercial and recreational fishermen. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, C. nebulosis is annually within the top ten species for recreational fishing in the United States.

bmathison1972

Species: Dipsastraea pallida (Dana, 1846)
Common name(s): knob coral

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Corals in Colour
Year of Production: 2005
Size/Scale: Width approximately 2.5 cm for a scale of 1:12-1:40 for a large colony
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): unknown
Miscellaneous Notes: The Yujin corals are small and made out of a limestone-calcium carbonate sandstone, rather than the usual PVC. They can make great accessories for other sealife figures.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-Pacific
Habitat: Coral reefs, at depths of 6-50 meters
Diet: Nutrients derived from symbiotic zooxanthellae; also planktonic microorganisms via filter feeding
Miscellaneous Notes: Dipsastraea pallida is hermaphroditic. Mature gametes are shed into the coelenteron and spawned through the mouth. Fertilization takes place in the open water. The zygote develops into a planktonic planula larva. Metamorphosis begins with early morphogenesis of tentacles, septa, and pharynx before larval settlement on a substrate.

MudpupWaterdog

The Gulf Coast Fish set is my favorite of the Factory's sets. Any word from Toy Fish Factory on if they're going to continue making any new sets? I remember before he was on Amazon he had his own website with some plans for future sets listed, but it's been so long that I figured something happened and he wasn't able to produce on the scale he had wanted.

bmathison1972

Quote from: MudpupWaterdog on March 28, 2023, 01:00:21 AMThe Gulf Coast Fish set is my favorite of the Factory's sets. Any word from Toy Fish Factory on if they're going to continue making any new sets? I remember before he was on Amazon he had his own website with some plans for future sets listed, but it's been so long that I figured something happened and he wasn't able to produce on the scale he had wanted.

Not sure; @sbell would probably know if TFF was up to anything new