Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on February 18, 2023, 05:52:50 AMIn my own collection database, I had the Schleich gemsbok as a 1:22 figure...

I have the average height at shoulder as being from 115-125 cm, and the figure is about 7.3 cm at shoulder

bmathison1972

Species: Eupatorus gracilicornis Arrow, 1908
Common name(s): five-horned rhinoceros beetle

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Diversity of Life on Earth - Beetles Vol. 2
Year of Release: 2021
Size/Scale: Wingspan (as displayed here) 18.0 cm. Body length (including horns) approximately 10.0 cm for a scale of 2:1-1:1 (slightly over 1:1 for a large male specimen)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third time we've seen E. gracilicornis in the Museum. Like other Diversity of Life on Earth figures, this beetle is large, requires assembly, is articulated when assembled, and may be expensive. The model may be displayed with the flying wings exposed (as shown here) or in a neutral pose, and there is a base (not shown) to display the flying beetle off the ground.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed in rotting wood; adults feed on nectar, plant sap, and overripe fruit
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: The life cycle of E. gracilicornis is not fully understood. In captivity, the time period from oviposition to pupation is approximately eight months. However, newly emerged adults will not mate. It has been speculated that the adults have a very long inactive period before they mate; others have suggested there is a missing trigger that is necessary in nature but might be lacking in an artificial environment, such as a cold period, drier diapause, etc.

bmathison1972

Species: Canis lupus familiaris Linnaeus, 1758
Common name(s): Labrador Retriever

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Papo
Series: Farm Life
Year of Production: 2013
Size/Scale: Shoulder height approximately 4.6 cm for a scale of 1:12.4-1:13.5 based on a male (see below)
Frequency of breed in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is one of the most commonly produced dog breeds. Other nice examples include those by Mojö Fun (2018, adult and pup), Nature's Wonders HD (2007), and Safari Ltd. (2007, in golden and black). When I started the 'synoptic' non-arthropod part of my collection, today's Papo Labrador was my choice for a domestic dog. I will admit, and this has been hinted at recently on the forum, I am not a dog person at all. I am 100% a cat person. But, I have always found the Labrador Retriever to be an attractive, smart, and friendly breed and a good ambassador to my collection for a domestic dog. As I have grown to appreciate domestic animal figures better, I have added a few more dogs, such as CollectA's Beagle and Boxer, both from 2021. The 2023 Schleich Bichon Frisé is currently en route to me and I plan on getting CollectA's Rough Collie later this year. I may get more dog breeds as they release, but only if both the breed and quality of the figure appeal to me. The scale above is based on measurement standards of the American Kennel Club for a male dog, which this figure is sculpted as.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Breed originated in England, and is now popular nearly worldwide
Habitat: Human habitations, farms, ranches
Diet: General omnivore
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Domesticated
Miscellaneous Notes: The Labrador Retriever originated in England, being descended from St. John's water dogs that were imported from Newfoundland and crossed with British hunting dogs. Historically it was used for hunting, as a good pointer and flusher, and it remains popular for that purpose today. Because of its intelligence and good temperament, it is both a popular pet dog and a good guide dog. They can also perform tasks that help otherwise disabled persons, such as activating an emergency phone or removing cash from am ATM. And because it is a good swimmer, the Labrador Retriever is used for water rescue and lifesaving.

Gwangi

I have no interest in collecting domestic dog breeds, even casually. I may get a Chesapeake Bay retriever (if someone makes one) just because of where I live, but I'll never have a shelf lined with dog breeds. It's not because they're dogs per say, I'm not just interested in collecting pets. I love cats but I'm not interested in cat breed figures either. When it comes to domestic animals I'm mostly just drawn to livestock.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 19, 2023, 03:55:25 PMI have no interest in collecting domestic dog breeds, even casually. I may get a Chesapeake Bay retriever (if someone makes one) just because of where I live, but I'll never have a shelf lined with dog breeds. It's not because they're dogs per say, I'm not just interested in collecting pets. I love cats but I'm not interested in cat breed figures either. When it comes to domestic animals I'm mostly just drawn to livestock.

That's what I thought when I started lol  ;D  8)

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 19, 2023, 09:07:42 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 19, 2023, 03:55:25 PMI have no interest in collecting domestic dog breeds, even casually. I may get a Chesapeake Bay retriever (if someone makes one) just because of where I live, but I'll never have a shelf lined with dog breeds. It's not because they're dogs per say, I'm not just interested in collecting pets. I love cats but I'm not interested in cat breed figures either. When it comes to domestic animals I'm mostly just drawn to livestock.

That's what I thought when I started lol  ;D  8)

I'm a long way off from a collection that matches yours, at least as far as extant animals go. I've got some time before I need to start collecting pets.  :))

bmathison1972

Species: Hypselodoris bullockii (Collingwood, 1881)
Common name(s): Bullock's nudibranch; purple nudibranch

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Incredible Creatures
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Body length 6.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon to rare
Miscellaneous Notes: While no nudibranchs are commonly made, this is probably the best-represented species in toy form, having also been made by Kitan Club/Ikimon (multiple times) and Play Visions. Safari didn't market this sea slug at the species level, but the identification makes the most sense based on morphology and familiarity of the species.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-Pacific
Habitat: Coral reefs, at depths of 1-31 meters (usually 15-25 meters)
Diet: Specialized predator on sponges
Miscellaneous Notes: Hypselodoris bullockii is a simultaneous hermaphrodite, meaning two individuals will mate with and cross-fertilize each other.

bmathison1972

Species: Mandrillus sphinx (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): mandrill

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Papo
Series: Wild Animals
Year of Production: 2011
Size/Scale: Body length (exclusive of tail) approximately 6.0 cm for a scale of 1:11.7-1:15.8 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon to common
Miscellaneous Notes: Mandrillus sphinx is a species that seems to get just enough representation as a toy/figure. Not super common, but usually readily available. The two most recent, which are also nice, are those by Safari Ltd. (2019) and Schleich (2022), the former of which is rather large if I remember correctly. Scale-conscious collectors may want to look to something smaller, like Furuta or Eikoh. Calculating scales on primate figures is inherently challenging. The scale above has based on a body length range of 70-95 cm for an adult male.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Equatorial West Africa (Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Congo); south of the Sanaga River and West of the  Ogooué and Ivindo Rivers
Habitat: Primary tropical rainforest; on occasion secondary forest, patchy gallery forest, and other areas with thick bush
Diet: Primary plants, including fruit, seeds, leaves, pith, and flowers; occasionally fungi and small animals, such as insects, snails, worms, reptiles, amphibians, and small mammals
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Vulnerable
Miscellaneous Notes: Mandrillus sphinx lives in large social groups called supergroups or hordes, which can contain as many a a few to several hundred individuals, making them the largest cohesive groups of non-human primates. A horde will consist of an alpha male, subordinate males, females, and offspring, and on average only less than 2% of the horde consists of adult males. These hordes are considered stable and not merely gatherings of smaller groups. Hordes consist of matrilineal family groups and females play an important role on maintaining social order. Only the alpha male is permanently associated with the social group; other males join as females become sexually receptive. Outside of the breeding season, non-alpha males are solitary and do not form bachelor groups.

bmathison1972

Species: Ambystoma tigrinum (Green, 1825)
Common name(s): eastern tiger salamander

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yell
Series: Channel Crocodile Gacha Gacha
Year of Production: 2022
Size/Scale: Snout-to-vent length approximately 3.5 cm for a scale of 1:3.3 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: The scale above was calculated based on snout-to-vent length (SVL). I had trouble finding consistent references on the range, and some I suspect were actually total body length. The scale above is calculated based on an SVL of 11.4 cm for a mature adult salamander as provided by the Virginia Herpetological Society. One should note that other figures marketed as 'tiger salamanders' might represent other species of Ambystoma based on the current taxonomy of the genus.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Eastern North America; introduced to central California where it has hybridized with the California tiger salamander (A. californiense)
Habitat: Larvae and neotenic adults are aquatic, living in freshwater ponds and pools. Non-neotenic adults are terrestrial, living in coniferous, deciduous, and mixed woodlands, damp fields, marshy areas
Diet: Larvae feed on freshwater invertebrates, tadpoles, other salamander larvae, small fish; adults feed on terrestrial invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Like other mole salamanders, the larva of A. tigrinum is aquatic and the adult is typically terrestrial. The development from larva to adult can vary based on environmental conditions. For example, in seasonal pools in the north, larvae metamorphose quickly, becoming 'small adult morphs', while in larger, ancestral pools in warmer climates, the larvae may not metamorphose until they reach their full adult size (waterdogs). Some populations do not metamorphose at all, and become sexually mature in their larval form (neotenic) and spend their entire lived in the water.

Gwangi

Another animal that would be perfect for Safari's IC line. This one is cute though.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 22, 2023, 01:10:22 PMAnother animal that would be perfect for Safari's IC line. This one is cute though.

The had a congener, the marbled salamander, in the Tennessee Aquarium Collection, which is essentially a branch of the IC line. But a 1:1 tiger would be ideal, yes!

And thank you @Gwangi for helping me research the SVL for this species :)

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 22, 2023, 01:32:05 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 22, 2023, 01:10:22 PMAnother animal that would be perfect for Safari's IC line. This one is cute though.

The had a congener, the marbled salamander, in the Tennessee Aquarium Collection, which is essentially a branch of the IC line. But a 1:1 tiger would be ideal, yes!

And thank you @Gwangi for helping me research the SVL for this species :)

You're welcome!  ^-^  The Tennessee Aquarium Collection is a holy grail of mine. I saw the Safari red salamander in the children's playroom at a local museum. I wanted to pocket it but I didn't of course. lol

bmathison1972

Species: Canis lupus familiaris (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): Boxer

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Farm Time
Year of Production: 2021
Size/Scale: Height at shoulder approximately 4.7 cm for a scale of 1:12.4-1:13.5 (see below)
Frequency of breed in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: Our second dog breed in less than a week! Like the recent Labrador Retriever, there have been several Boxer figures made over the years. Two other of the nicer and more recent versions are those by Papo (2011) and Safari Ltd. (2018). There are two kinds of boxers, the American Boxer and German Boxer; this figure was sculpted after the former. The scale above is calculated based on measurement standards of the American Kennel Club for a male dog, which the figure is sculpted as.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Breed originated in Germany and today is bred around the world, especially in Europe and North America.
Habitat: Human habitations, farmlands, country estates
Diet: General omnivore
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Domesticated
Miscellaneous Notes: The Boxer originated in Germany in the 19th century by crossing the now extinct Bullenbeisser with British Bulldogs. It was originally bred for hunting large animals such as wild boar, bear, and deer. The first Boxer Club was founded in 1896 in Munich, Germany and its official standard was published in 1904. The breed was introduced to other European countries in the late 19th century and the United States at the end of the 19th century or start of the 20th century. The American Kennel Club first registered the breed in 1904. During World War I, the breed was used as a messenger dog, pack carrier, guard dog, and attack dog. Introduced to other parts of the world after World War II, it started to become a popular companion, show, and guard dog. Today there are two main kinds of Boxer, the German Boxer and the American Boxer, the former of which is generally more muscular and has a larger head than the latter.

bmathison1972

Species: Somatochlora hineana Williamson, 1931
Common name(s): Hine's emerald

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Great Lakes TOOB
Year of Production: 2020
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.0 cm for a scale of approximately 1:1.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Safari didn't market this figure at the species level; it is a community-based identification I agree with based on the morphology, particularly the dark body with bright green eyes, in combination with the theme of the TOOB (Great Lakes).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northeastern North America; relict populations around Lake Michigan in Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ontario, and in southern Missouri
Habitat: Nymphs live in cool, shallow, slow-moving surface water of wetlands, marshes, fens, and bogs that are fed by alkaline, mineral-rich groundwater; adults forage in open woodlands and fields
Diet: Nymphs feed on aquatic insects, freshwater isopods, snails, oligochaetes, and tadpoles; adults prey on flying insects
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern (classified as Endangered by the Endangered Species Act of 1973)
Miscellaneous Notes: Somatochlora hineana spends most of its life as an aquatic nymph, for as long as 2-4 years. During the late summer, when their shallow pools of water start to dry up, S. hineana will utilize crayfish burrows to avoid desiccation.

bmathison1972

Species: Danaus plexippus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): monarch; milkweed butterfly

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: K&M International
Series: Wild Republic - Butterflies Nature Tube
Year of Production: 2004
Size/Scale: Wingspan 5.7 cm for a scale of 1:1.5-1:1.8
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the eighth time we have seen D. plexippus in the Museum, not surprising given that it is probably the most commonly made species of lepidopteran. K&M International didn't market any of the figures in this tube collection to the species level, but I don't think there is any doubt on the identity of this particular model.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: North, Central, and South America, the Caribbean, the Azores, Canary Islands, North Africa, Australia, Philippines, and South Pacific islands; rare stray to the United Kingdom
Habitat: Fields, forests, parks, gardens, disturbed areas
Diet: Larvae feed on milkweeds in the family Apocynaceae, especially members of the genus Asclepias; adults take nectar from a variety of flowers
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: There are currently six species of D. plexippus: 1) D. p. plexippus (migratory subspecies from most of North America and Hawaii); 2) D. p. megalippe (non-migratory subspecies from Florida and Georgia in the USA to the Caribbean and South America to the Amazon River); 3) D. p. nigrippus (South America); 4) D. p. leucogyne (St. Thomas); 5) D. p. portoricensis (Puerto Rico); 6) D. p. tobagi (Tobago).

bmathison1972

Species: Graphium deucalion (Boisduval, 1836)
Common name(s): yellow zebra

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: K&M International
Series: Wild Republic - Butterflies Nature Tube
Year of Production: 2004
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.5 cm for a scale of 1:1-1:1.2 (slightly under 1:1; see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Today's figure is from the same collection as yesterday's monarch! I mentioned yesterday that figures in this set weren't marketed at the species level; elucidating some of the identifications were easy, others were challenging (assuming they were all indeed influenced by actual species). While there was little doubt on the identity of yesterday's model, today's was much more challenging. Graphium deucalion was first proposed by a forum member (Bowhead Whale I believe; I can't remember) and to this day I still think it's be best option. I had difficulty researching the wingspan of this species; the information used to calculate the scale above was provided by websites that sell mounted specimens ofG. deucalion.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indonesia; several islands in the Sundas and Moluccas, including Sulawesi, Banggai, Biak, Morotai, Halmahera, Ternate, Bacan, and Obi
Habitat: Tropical broadleaf forests
Diet: Larval diet unknown, but presumed to be plants in the family Aquifoliaceae (holly); adults take nectar from flowers nutrients from mud puddles
Miscellaneous Notes: I had difficulty researching information on this species, including its wingspan and larval host plants. There appears to be three subspecies of G. deucalion: 1) G. d. deucalion (Sulawesi, Morotai, Halmahera, Ternate, Bacan, Obi); 2) G. d. leucadion (Ternate, Halmahera, Bachan); 3) G. d. marabuntana (Banggai).

Lanthanotus

Happy to see this thread still alive after me being absent for quite a time.
And I enjoy seeing so many new backdrops... I wonder what your photo studio looks like @bmathison1972 :D

bmathison1972

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 26, 2023, 05:59:56 PMHappy to see this thread still alive after me being absent for quite a time.
And I enjoy seeing so many new backdrops... I wonder what your photo studio looks like @bmathison1972 :D

Welcome back, @Lanthanotus - we have missed you! My photostudio? A cell phone with dioramas on the kitchen counter LOL

bmathison1972

Species: Megasoma actaeon (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): Actaeon beetle

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: DeAgostini
Series: World Insect Data Book
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length (including cephalic horn) 10.2 cm, within scale 1:1 for a large major male.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This is our fourth look at M. actaeon in the Museum. The DeAgostini insects are cast from actual specimens and are therefore all in the 1:1 range. The figures were sold as premiums with books and come in a plastic display box with their Latin and Japanese names. I am not sure what year the figures were released, and it is possible they were released over multiple years. The original set from Japan consisted of 60 species (59 male Scarabaeoidea and one dragonfly), plus four 'secret' figures representing females of select scarab males. When the set was released in Italy, three of the standard set were replaced with other species, including a leaf insect. Between the two releases and secrets, I think there are 67 figures total representing 63 species. The figures are secured to the base of the box with a small screw, but can be safely removed if one choses to display them outside of the box.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: South America
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed in rotting logs, compost, and rich soil; adults are attracted to overripe fruit and sap flows
Miscellaneous Notes: Large horned dynastine scarab beetles are often named after characters in Greek and Roman mythology. In this case, M. actaeon is named after Actaeon, a famous Theban hero, son of the priestly herdsman Aristaeus and Autonoe in Boeotia, who was trained by the centaur Chiron.

bmathison1972

Species: Bitis gabonica (Duméril et al., 1854)
Common name(s): Gaboon viper

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Play Visions
Series: Exotic Snakes
Year of Production: 1999
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 19.0 cm for a scale of 1:6.6-1:10.8
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique (?, see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: The Gaboon viper was also produced twice by K&M International in 1999 for the Wild Republic Destination Congo Adventure Tube and the Wild Republic Congo Adventure Play Set, both of which used the same model. However, the two K&M figures have nasal horns suggesting they are a better fit for the related rhinoceros viper, B. rhinoceros. Bitis rhinoceros was considered a subspecies of B. gabonica until around 1999, so the K&M figures were probably in production before the nomenclatural change was broadly known.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Sub-Saharan Africa
Habitat: Rainforest, tropical savanna
Diet: Small animals, including ground-living or ground-feeding birds, rodents, frogs, small antelope
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Vulnerable
Miscellaneous Notes: Bitis gabonica is not a very aggressive species, but its venom can be deadly and it delivers a large quantity of venom when it does bite. The major compounds that are believed to be responsible for the most severe clinical symptoms include a hemorrhagin, a cardiotoxin, and a peripheral vasodilator. Initial symptoms from a bite to a human include swelling, intense pain, severe shock, blistering, uncontrolled defecation and/or urination, swelling of the tongue and eyelids, convulsions, and unconsciousness. Tissue necrosis may be extensive. Sudden hypotension, heart damage, and dyspnea can also occur. Blood may become uncoagulable, and internal bleeding may result in hematuria and hematemesis. Healing can be slow and surgical excision or even amputation may be required for an affected limb.