Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

I had no idea that sexes inhabited different environments, despite being a very well known species! In fact, I didn't knew any animal species in which males and females are to be found in different habitats!

bmathison1972

Species: Dendrobates tinctorius (Cuvier, 1797)
Common name(s): dyeing dart frog; blue poison dart frog

About the Figures:
Manufacturers: Yujin; Colorata
Series: Frogs in Colour Pictorial Book; Tropical Rainforest Frogs
Years of Production: 2009; 2019 (2005)
Size/Scale: Snout-to-vent (SVL) length of Yujin figure approximately 3.0 cm for a scale of 1:1.2-1:1.6; SVL of Colorata figure approximately 3.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: The figure on the right represents the form 'azureus' (blue poison dart frog) and was made by Colorata for the Tropical Rainforest Frogs collection; mine is the 2019 release of a figure that originally came out in 2005. The figure on the left was produced by Yujin for the Frogs in Colour Pictorial Book in 2009.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Guiana Shield of South America (Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Brazil); the form azureus is endemic to forested areas of the Sipaliwini Savanna in Suriname
Habitat: Rainforest, often in canopy gaps or in riparian areas; usually on or near the ground on rocks with moss, fallen branches, dead logs, etc.
Diet: Insects (particularly ants) and other terrestrial arthropods
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: The primary toxins carried by D. tinctorius are alkaloids referred to as pumiliotoxin (PTX); the frog acquires the toxins from the ingestion of fire ants and mites. PTX interferes with muscle contractions by affecting calcium channels, resulting in motor difficulties, clonic convulsions, paralysis, and even death. PTX can also affect sodium and potassium channels, impairing contractions of cardiac and respiratory muscles resulting in cardio-respiratory distress.

bmathison1972

Species: Dasyuroides byrnei Spencer, 1896
Common name(s): kowari; kariri; brushy-tailed marsupial rat

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Cadbury
Series: Yowies Series 2
Year of Production: 1998
Size/Scale: Head-to-body length approximately 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:2.7-1:3.6
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Australian Yowies, some assembly is required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia. Endemic to desert areas of the Lake Eyre Basin, including the Sturt Stony Desert and Simpson Desert
Habitat: Gibber plains, usually those situated alongside grasslands, braided river channels, and sand dunes
Diet: Primarily terrestrial invertebrates; also rodents, small birds and bird eggs, reptiles, carrion
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Vulnerable
Miscellaneous Notes: Despite their small size, kowaris are voracious predators and use smell to detect prey. They primarily feed on terrestrial invertebrates but will hunt any small animal they encounter. They get their water from the food they consume. Kowaris are themselves prey for quolls, dingoes, and owls, as well as introduced predators such as red foxes and feral cats and dogs.

bmathison1972

I finally get to use my latest Dioramansion background:

Species: Nipponia nippon (Temminck, 1835)
Common name(s): Japanese crested ibis; crested ibis; toki

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Natural Monuments of Japan
Year of Production: 2002
Size/Scale: Height (exclusive of base) 5.5 cm tall for a scale of approximately 1:12.7-1:14.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: Some assembly is required. All figures of this species I am aware of are 'gashapon'-style figures out of Japan. Kaiyodo produced this species as least two other times and others have been produced by Bandai, Eikoh, Colorata, Kitan Club, and Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Historically throughout much of East Asia and Japan. Current natural populations occur only in Shaanxi Province, China. Successful reintroductions have occured in other parts of China and Japan (Sado Island)
Habitat: Forested freshwater wetlands, agricultural fields, rice paddies; nesting usually occurs in treetops overlooking their habitat
Diet: Fish, amphibians, freshwater invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Endangered
Miscellaneous Notes: Nipponia nippon once occurred over much of East Asia and Japan. By 1980, their already naturally small populations were nearly decimated by overhunting, pesticide use, habitat destruction, and winter starvation. In 1981 they were considered extinct in the wild until natural populations were found in Shaanxi Province, China. Between 2008 and 2022, nearly 500 ibises were reintroduced to Sado Island in Japan. In April 2012, at least three chicks were discovered to have hatched in the wild on Sado Island, marking the first time N. nippon has been born in the wild in Japan in nearly 36 years. Since 2013, over 350 birds also live in Changnyeong-gun, a wetlands conservation center in South Korea, and there are tentative plans to try to reintroduce birds into the wild on the Korean Peninsula.

SerAndrew

Kitan is far superior.
Actually, one of the models made me start collecting japanese figures.

bmathison1972

Species: Calappa philargius (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): spectacled box crab

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Diversity of Life on Earth - Crabs
Year of Production: 2021
Size/Scale: Carapace width 7.0 cm for a scale of 1:1.4-1:2 for a male (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: Some assembly may be required and the final product is articulated. Elements from this figure were shared with a Calappa lophos figure in the same set, but they are not exactly the same (at least the dorsal part of the carapace is different). The scale above is based on the carapace width of a male (10-15 cm), which the figure appears to be based on the morphology of the abdomen. Notice the left eye appears backwards; I am not sure if that was an assembly error in the factory, or if it was intentional to demonstrate how crabs can move their eyes. Either way, I cannot seem to easily correct it (assuming it's incorrect).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-Pacific
Habitat: Benthic, at depths of 0-100 meters
Diet: Hard-shelled invertebrates such as bivalves, gastropods, and other crabs
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Members of the genus Calappa, including C. philargius, have their right pincer specially adapted for breaking open the hard shells of their mollusk and crustacean prey.

bmathison1972

Species: Todarodes pacificus (Steenstrup, 1880)
Common name(s): Japanese flying squid; Japanese common squid; Pacific flying squid

About the Figure:
Series: Chocoegg Animatales Series 4
Year of Production: 2000
Size/Scale: Total figure length 7.0 cm. Mantle length 4.5 cm for a scale of 1:11 for a maximum-sized female specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Chocoegg figures, some assembly is required and the squid is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Western and Northern Pacific, from Vietnam and Japan in the West to southern Alaska and Canada in the East.
Habitat: Pelagic, at depths of 0-500 meters (usually 0-100 meters)
Diet: Larvae feed on phytoplankton and zooplankton; adults feed on fish and marine invertebrates, including their own species
Miscellaneous Notes: Todarodes pacificus gets its common name 'flying squid' from its ability to propel itself above the surface of the water, sometimes upwards of 30 meters, to avoid predators or possibly to conserve energy while migrating over long distances.

bmathison1972

Species: Megaphasma denticrus (Stål, 1875)
Common name(s): giant walkingstick

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Imperial Toys
Series: unknown
Year of Production: 1998
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding appendages) 15.5 cm for a scale of 1.7:1-1.2:1 for a male specimen (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: I don't know much about this toy; I stumbled upon it on eBay back in early 2016 or so. It is not marketed at the genus or species level, but based on shape, presence of spurs on middle and hind femora, and the structure of the genitalia (it's sculpted after a male), M. denticrus seems like the best option. Also, many of Imperial Toys' insect figures are based on North American taxa. This is a figure I would have much rather photographed outside, but a Utah winter isn't appropriate for this species. For today's pic, I used a living Ficus that I keep in my living room, with a Bakku Background diorama display in the background.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and South-central United States
Habitat: Woodlands, forests, grasslands, grape farms
Diet: Foliage of grasses, hardwood trees, grape vines; common natural host plants include Tilia (basswood), Betula (birch), Cornus (dogwood), Celtis (hackberry), Quercus (oak), Carya (hickory, pecan), and Prunus (wild cherry)
Miscellaneous Notes: Megaphasma denticrus is a master of disguise, spending the day hidden among twigs they resemble and becoming active at night to feed. Females of M. denticrus do not have ovipositors capable of depositing eggs in plant tissue. Instead, females will lay their eggs in the branches of trees and then flick them to the ground. Hatching occurs in the spring, and young nymphs must find their way back to and up a host tree. Even as adults, M. dentricus is not capable of flight, so migration and expansion to new host trees usually only advances a few hundred meters per season. As such, infestations on ornamental trees and grape plants usually do not cause widespread damage.

sphyrna18

Awesome entry in the museum!  It's always amazed me that there really aren't any walkingstick figures available, and there really never have been.  Such a simple design and an intriguing animal, you would think that every major company would have one in their lineup.  Excellent review!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sphyrna18 on February 02, 2023, 09:13:59 PMAwesome entry in the museum!  It's always amazed me that there really aren't any walkingstick figures available, and there really never have been.  Such a simple design and an intriguing animal, you would think that every major company would have one in their lineup.  Excellent review!

Thanks, Chad.

Next up:

Species: Chauliodus sloani (Bloch & Schneider, 1801)
Common name(s): Sloan's viperfish

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Colorata
Series: Deep Sea Fish
Year of Production: 2015 (2009)
Size/Scale: Total figure height 9.0 cm (see below). Body length approximately 8.0 cm for a scale of 1:4.4
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Some assembly is required and the fish is removable from its base; the acrylic rod can be cut to the desired length of the collector and the total height above is specifically for mine as shown in this image. Today's figure is the 2015 release of a figure that originally came out in 2009, although there is no significant difference between the two releases.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Worldwide in temperate and tropical oceans and seas
Habitat: Bathypelagic, at depths of 200-4,700 meters (usually 494-1,000 meters)
Diet: Other fish, crustaceans; larger specimens tend to be more strictly piscivorous while smaller specimens consume a larger amount of crustaceans
Miscellaneous Notes: Chauliodus sloani can unhinge its lower jaw, allowing it to consume prey up to around 60% its own body size. Common prey of C. sloani are lanternfishes, and it uses a photophore at the end of its specialized dorsal fin to lure them. Chauliodus sloani has a long straight intestine and a distendible stomach; it might eat on average only once every 12 days or so, and as such it has a relatively slow metabolism.

bmathison1972

Species: Ambystoma mexicanum (Shaw & Nodder, 1798)
Common name(s): axolotl

About the Figure:
Manufacturers: Kaiyodo; Yowie Group
Series: Choco Q Animatales Pet Series 4; Wild Water Series
Years of Production: 2004; 2019
Size/Scale: Body length of Kaiyodo figure approximately 7.2 cm for a scale of 1:4.2. The body length of the Yowie is approximately 6.0 cm, which would come to a scale of 1:5; however, it has a shorter tail than the Kaiyodo figure and other metrics put it at a similar scale as the Kaiyodo figure.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The figure on the left is by Kaiyodo for the fourth release of the Choco Q Animatales Pet Series in 2004. Being one of the original Choco Q figures, some assembly is required. Although it represents the wild type morph, being in one of the pet collections the sculpt also came painted as two domestic variants, leucistic (pale pink with black eyes) and golden albino (gold with golden eyes). To my knowledge, this is the only figure of this species that comes painted as a wild type. The figure on the right is by Yowie Group for their Wild Water Series in 2019. The Kaiyodo figure was my initial purchase, as I originally only wanted the wild type. Later when I decided I also wanted the more familiar leucistic variant, I chose the Yowie Group figure as I wanted a different company and style (I didn't just want two different paint variants of the same sculpt). Ikimon also produced leucistic and golden albino variants, but Yowie Group figures are cheaper and easier to get in the US and I like the charm of the Yowies!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Mexico. Originally endemic to Lake Xochimilco and Lake Chalco in the Valley of Mexico; today only Lake Xochimilco remains
Habitat: freshwater high-altitude lakes
Diet: Freshwater invertebrates, fish, amphibians (even their own species)
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Critically Endangered
Miscellaneous Notes: Ambystoma mexicanum is a paedomorphic salamander and is unusual in that it doesn't undergo metamorphosis before reaching adulthood. Most other members of the genus Ambystoma undergo traditional metamorphosis, whereby the adults lose their larval gills and live as adults on land. However, the axolotl lacks the thyroid stimulating hormone that is necessary to undergo metamorphosis. As such, the adult axolotl retains its larval gills and continues to live in water for the remainder of its life.

Gwangi

Every time I go to a reptile show I'm tempted by the axolotls, but they require relatively cool water and I'm not sure I can provide that in the hot, humid region that is Maryland's eastern shore. Love them though. My daughter has a couple plush ones, there are a ton of plush axolotls out there. They seem popular, I think it's about time Safari jump on that bandwagon. Would love one for the IC line.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 04, 2023, 02:33:45 PMEvery time I go to a reptile show I'm tempted by the axolotls, but they require relatively cool water and I'm not sure I can provide that in the hot, humid region that is Maryland's eastern shore. Love them though. My daughter has a couple plush ones, there are a ton of plush axolotls out there. They seem popular, I think it's about time Safari jump on that bandwagon. Would love one for the IC line.

I've thought for a while, too, that an axolotl would be the perfect addition to Safari's IC line; even if I didn't buy it, as it would probably be out of my size/scale preferences, I think it would be a very popular item!

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 04, 2023, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 04, 2023, 02:33:45 PMEvery time I go to a reptile show I'm tempted by the axolotls, but they require relatively cool water and I'm not sure I can provide that in the hot, humid region that is Maryland's eastern shore. Love them though. My daughter has a couple plush ones, there are a ton of plush axolotls out there. They seem popular, I think it's about time Safari jump on that bandwagon. Would love one for the IC line.

I've thought for a while, too, that an axolotl would be the perfect addition to Safari's IC line; even if I didn't buy it, as it would probably be out of my size/scale preferences, I think it would be a very popular item!
It would def be a hot seller

BlueKrono

Quote from: JimoAi on February 04, 2023, 03:04:44 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 04, 2023, 02:40:42 PM

It would def be a hot seller

Schleich is already on it with their new axolotl discovery set. They're a bit fantasy though. It would be great to see another neotenic salamander from Safari.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Species: Coccinella hasegawai Miyatake, 1963

About the Figure:
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Japanese Alps
Year of Production: 2014
Size/Scale: Body length 3.0 cm for a scale of 5:1-4.2:1
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third species of Coccinella we've seen in the Museum, and there is yet one more that hasn't been showcased! Having been a while since I obtained this figure (nearly a decade!), I cannot remember if assembly is required or not (it is for other figures in the set).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan (Central Honshu), Russia (South Kurils)
Habitat: Montane forest
Diet: Small, soft-bodied insects
Miscellaneous Notes: I had trouble researching biological information on this species and some of the above information is inferred from other members of the genus. Coccinella hasegawai appears to be endemic to the Japanese Alps on the island of Honshu (Japan) and mountianous regions of the volcanic islands Iturup and Urup (Kuril Islands, Russia). Presumably, like other coccinellids, they feed on soft-bodied auchenorrhynchan insects such as aphids, psyllids, and scales.

bmathison1972

Species: Golofa eacus Burmeister, 1847

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: DeAgostini
Series: World Insect Data Book
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding appendages) approximately 4.0 cm, within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: The DeAgostini insects are cast from actual specimens and are therefore all in the 1:1 range. The figures were sold as premiums with books and come in a plastic display box with their Latin and Japanese names. I am not sure what year the figures were released, and it is possible they were released over multiple years. The original set from Japan consisted of 60 species (59 male Scarabaeoidea and one dragonfly), plus four 'secret' figures representing females of select scarab males. When the set was released in Italy, three of the standard set were replaced with other species, including a leaf insect. Between the two releases and secrets, I think there are 67 figures total representing 63 species. The figures are secured to the base of the box with a small screw, but can be safely removed if one choses to display them outside of the box. I photographed today's beetle from a lateral point of view without the lid so the reader can appreciate the cephalic and thoracic armature of the male specimen.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: South America (Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Bolivia, Argentina)
Habitat: Tropical and subtropical rainforest
Diet: Larvae breed in rotting wood, including that of Ceiba; adults have been recorded feeding on young stems of Chusquea (South American bamboo)
Miscellaneous Notes: Very little is known about the biology of scarab beetles in the genus Golofa; the information above is from random studies and data on host trees and adult diet are probably not complete.

bmathison1972

Species: Gallus gallus domesticus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): German Leghorn; Italiener

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Schleich
Series: Farm World
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Height (excluding base) approximately 5.5 cm for a scale of roughly 1:7.4
Frequency of breed in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Indeterminant (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: When I first bought this rooster I was looking for a 'traditional' barnyard rooster, for when I started the synoptic non-arthropod part of my collection. When I later decided to expand my collection to include other breeds of poultry, I set out trying to identify this breed. For a while, I had it databased as 'German Bantam' but since have come to learn that bantam isn't a breed, but rather a small variety that can occur among several breeds. In researching what breed this rooster might represent, and under the assumption it was a German breed given that Schleich is based out of Germany, possible options included German Langshan (Deutsches Langschan), Bergische Kräher, German Leghorn (Italiener), Vorwerk (Vorwekhuhn), and possibly several others. I chose to have mine represent the Leghorn, given the length of the comb and wattle and the white feathers at the base of the tail. I am not sure if this is what Schleich intended (their website doesn't indicate), but it is what I finally settled on. Several toy roosters have this general appearance and might represent the same breed.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Breed originated in northern Italy and is now bred throughout much of the world (see below)
Habitat: Farmlands, pastures, urban backyards
Diet: Grains, seeds, insects
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Domesticated
Miscellaneous Notes: Leghorn chickens were first bred in the Tuscan region of northern Italy, although the origin of the breed and when it originated is not fully understood. Leghorns were exported to the United States in the early-mid 1800s and included in the American Standard of Perfection in 1874. Leghorns were introduced to Britain from the U.S. in 1870. It is now bred in many countries throughout the World as a major producer of white eggs. The German Leghorn was also bred to increase its weight in order to become a dual purpose chicken (meat and eggs).

bmathison1972

Species: Idea leuconoe Erichson, 1834
Common name(s): paper kite; large tree nymph

About the Figure:
Manufacturers: Safari Ltd.
Series: Butterflies of the World Collectors Case
Years of Production: 2001
Size/Scale: Wingspan 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:2.4-1:2.8
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This is our fourth look at I. leuconoe in the Museum. This figure came with an obvious anatomical error, the presence of tails on the hind wings (see inset). I normally don't like to alter figures, but since this was such a simple fix to make it a slightly more accurate figure, I cut the tails off. Despite the presence of tails, we know it was intended to be I. leucone as the figures in the set were marketed at the species level. This same sculpt (including the presence of tails) with a very similar paint job was used by K&M International for their Butterflies Nature Tube. K&M didn't market their butterflies at the species level, but I am assuming it was influenced by the Safari figure and also represents I. leuconoe; I possess this toy as well, and it will be reviewed in the Museum at a later date. Safari Ltd. also produced I. leuconoe (sans tails) in 1997 for the Authentics Butterflies collection; that figure was showcased in the Museum back on November 6, 2021.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia, the Philippines, Taiwan, southern Japan, northern Australia
Habitat: Lowland forests, mangrove swamps
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genera Parsonsia, Tylophora, and Cynanchum; adults take nectar from flowers.
Miscellaneous Notes: The contrasting black and white color of the wings is an example of aposematism, whereby an animal will exhibit bright and often flashy contrasting colors to let a would-be predator know they are venomous, poisonous, or at least distasteful to eat.

Isidro

It's like sculpting an oryx and assume that it's a lion. You can cut the horns of the oryx for fix the error like you did on the tails of the butterfly, but it will still looks like absolutely not a lion...