News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Sharks and ray help

Started by JimoAi, October 04, 2020, 03:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Hi, ATF, I would like to ask for your opinion. This Ray from the safari LTD Venomous creatures toob is a Bat Ray but it doesn't have the accurate colours of a bat ray. Instead, it looks more like a Purple Eagle Ray(Myliobatus hamlyni) or the Common Eagle Ray (Myliobatus aquila). What re your thoughts. Could I substitute it as either species due to the difference in colour and the small size of the figure?

bmathison1972

Hi JimoAI,

TOOB figures often lack detailed paint jobs. Really, I think it can represent any of those three species, so for your collection you can probably chose whichever you want. I would like to get this figure, too, and I'll probably retain it as a bat ray when I do.

JimoAi

The original represents a bat ray more in it's colour but it's probs retired. Good luck finding it. I think it also work as a baby bat ray but I'm going with Myliobatus hamlyni since my collection has a specific scale. Thanks so much for clarifying

JimoAi

Another one from a toob :the Safari ltd oceans toob eagle ray. Does it look more like a longheaded eagle ray(Aetobatus flagellum) or the Naru eagle ray (Aetobatus narutobiei). @bmathison1972 would appreciate your help again. Thanks

bmathison1972

I haven't seen this TOOB figure in-hand; maybe @sbell has a better idea

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 06, 2020, 11:47:14 AM

I have the ornate ray, and as long as you get a first run toob, it is absolutely an ornate eagle ray Aetomylaeus vespertilio. Which is how it's labelled. The paint markings are unmistakable (unusual for a Safari toob figure).

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on October 06, 2020, 01:30:57 PM

I have the ornate ray, and as long as you get a first run toob, it is absolutely an ornate eagle ray Aetomylaeus vespertilio. Which is how it's labelled. The paint markings are unmistakable (unusual for a Safari toob figure).

@sbell I think this is a different TOOB; your ornate eagle ray is in the Endangered Ocean TOOB; this one is a generic ocean TOOB

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 06, 2020, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: sbell on October 06, 2020, 01:30:57 PM

@sbell I think this is a different TOOB; your ornate eagle ray is in the Endangered Ocean TOOB; this one is a generic ocean TOOB

I should have opened the picture bigger!

There are different paint versions. In it's brown form it's probably a common eagle ray.

JimoAi

But commons have a flatenned about while the oceans toob has a pointed

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on October 06, 2020, 01:54:34 PM
But commons have a flatenned about while the oceans toob has a pointed

Given the age of the figure, it was made back when Safari didn't label their figures. It's probably meant to be a spotted eagle ray but not painted right. They honestly didn't put in as much thought in as we do!

JimoAi

Longheaded and nara eagle rays are basically spotted eagle rays without the spots and much smaller so it works as a good substitute I guess

stargatedalek

I don't remember where it came from, but I have one of that mold that is painted as a spotted eagle ray. I'll have to dig it out.

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 15, 2020, 04:09:19 PM
I don't remember where it came from, but I have one of that mold that is painted as a spotted eagle ray. I'll have to dig it out.

I apparently don't. But I do have one that is black with white shoulders. Not sure what that is supposed to actually represent:

JimoAi

Hi, once again but may I know if it's possible the safari ltd stingray as a rough tail or short tail stingray?

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on October 21, 2020, 02:19:16 PM
Hi, once again but may I know if it's possible the safari ltd stingray as a rough tail or short tail stingray?

Safari is specifically marketing this as the common stingray, Dasyatis pastinaca

There are some minor issues with that; when I get home I'll check the ID I have for the figure in my collection, but I may have ended up going with Safari's ID.

JimoAi

Whoops I meant substitute it as a rough tail and/ or short tail. I'm sorry it's a typo

JimoAi

Anyone knows the exact species of the Papo Sawfish?

Advicot

Don't I take long uploading photos!

JimoAi

@bmathison1972 just curious. Why did you go with the 2018 safari ltd manta ray instead of the monterey bay aquarium manta ray. The Monterey bay aquarium has the better accuracy and size imo and you don't collect the recent schleich sharks? They're some of the best imo.

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on November 11, 2020, 10:10:49 AM
@bmathison1972 just curious. Why did you go with the 2018 safari ltd manta ray instead of the monterey bay aquarium manta ray. The Monterey bay aquarium has the better accuracy and size imo and you don't collect the recent schleich sharks? They're some of the best imo.

I can't remember. I might have avoided most MBA figures thinking they were too big at the time; also the 2018 model was new.

Schleich's recent GWS are nice. But, I think the Safari 2016 sculpt is still better.