News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Non-Cetacean Animal collection

Started by callmejoe3, September 07, 2020, 11:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 16, 2021, 12:34:51 PM
It did work with an articulated mosasaur I have. Maybe it doesn't work. Will get the moterey bay whale shark to replace my Papo one due to better eyes and better size in my opinion as I have things like pnso tyrannosaurus and Mosasaurus to scale with it. PS: I have ordered a monterey bay mother humpback whale

Sounds like a good plan.

JimoAi

Do you have the Papo whale shark next to the monterey bay one?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 16, 2021, 02:35:25 PM
Do you have the Papo whale shark next to the monterey bay one?

No, I just have 2 MBA whale sharks, I don't own the Papo one.

JimoAi

Is it possible if you post a top view of the old MBA whale shark and the new one so it's easier for me to judge form there? Thanks

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 18, 2021, 04:59:51 PM
Is it possible if you post a top view of the old MBA whale shark and the new one so it's easier for me to judge form there? Thanks

Here. The older one on top, the newer one on the bottom.

However, keep in mind the ''newer'' one I have is not the newest version of the whale shark. It got a refresh in 2016, the two I have to appear to be from the 1990s and early 2000's.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 18, 2021, 05:28:07 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 18, 2021, 04:59:51 PM

Here. The older one on top, the newer one on the bottom.

However, keep in mind the ''newer'' one I have is not the newest version of the whale shark. It got a refresh in 2016, the two I have to appear to be from the 1990s and early 2000's.
The snout seems to be more reduced to the newer one

JimoAi

Have you considered getting some bony fishes?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 19, 2021, 10:51:58 AM
Have you considered getting some bony fishes?

I have, but not too many are of immediate interest. chondrichthyans and invertebrates like mollusks and crustaceans interest me more.

callmejoe3

Update. Since I've recently completed the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection, I've decided to get atleast a good chunk of the Carnegie collection. The Mammoth I've had since I was a kid, the 2008 diplodocus is an early birthday present, and the rest I bought together in a lot with SidB on the dinotoyforum. I have a new display area for my non-cetacean animals and this shelf is for the Carnegie collection figures.

Blue whale with the sauropods.

Apatosaurus (~56cm): ~22 meters
Old Diplodocus(~73cm): ~29 meters <- For these two, precise measurements were hard due to back curvatures.
New Diplodocus (74cm): 29.6 meters
Blue whale (78cm): 31.2 meters

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 25, 2021, 07:10:09 AM
Update. Since I've recently completed the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection, I've decided to get atleast a good chunk of the Carnegie collection. The Mammoth I've had since I was a kid, the 2008 diplodocus is an early birthday present, and the rest I bought together in a lot with SidB on the dinotoyforum. I have a new display area for my non-cetacean animals and this shelf is for the Carnegie collection figures.

Blue whale with the sauropods.

Apatosaurus (~56cm): ~22 meters
Old Diplodocus(~73cm): ~29 meters <- For these two, precise measurements were hard due to back curvatures.
New Diplodocus (74cm): 29.6 meters
Blue whale (78cm): 31.2 meters

You should ty the newer carnegie ones.

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 25, 2021, 10:47:12 AM

These I bought specifically for vintage collection purposes. I have a separate shelf for when I want to collect newer figures that are more accurate. The remakes generally aren't worth it because they're generally harder to find. I mainly went for this because it was a convenient lot. The only newer Carnegie dinosaur I was interested in was the 2008 Diplodocus because it was AFAIK, the longest 1:40 scale sauropod I could find.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 25, 2021, 12:10:41 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 25, 2021, 10:47:12 AM

These I bought specifically for vintage collection purposes. I have a separate shelf for when I want to collect newer figures that are more accurate. The remakes generally aren't worth it because they're generally harder to find. I mainly went for this because it was a convenient lot. The only newer Carnegie dinosaur I was interested in was the 2008 Diplodocus because it was AFAIK, the longest 1:40 scale sauropod I could find.
Cool. Which accurate and updated Prehistoric life do you own?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 25, 2021, 01:10:05 PM

Not too much yet, though I'm eyeing the Safari Ltd Mastodon and CollectA mosasaurus. I think instead of dinosaurs, I'd focus on marine reptiles and Cenozoic mammals.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 25, 2021, 01:17:09 PM

Not too much yet, though I'm eyeing the Safari Ltd Mastodon and CollectA mosasaurus. I think instead of dinosaurs, I'd focus on marine reptiles and Cenozoic mammals.
I have some recommendations for marine reptiles: the safari ltd nothosaurus and dolichorynchoos if you can track down the Prehistoric sea life toob and if you're conscious of the 1.40 scale, collectA excalibosaurus and temnodmontosaurus, collectA's new Elasmosaurus and xiphactinus(not a reptile), safari LTD's tylosaurus, collectA pliosaurus of you mind the lack of tail fluke and the collectA thalassomedon tho it's a little over the 1:40 scale. The pnso mosasaurus is a bit over 1:40 though

JimoAi

Interestingly, this is my 10th year collecting prehistoric marine life

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 25, 2021, 02:26:18 PM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 25, 2021, 01:17:09 PM

I have some recommendations for marine reptiles: the safari ltd nothosaurus and dolichorynchoos if you can track down the Prehistoric sea life toob and if you're conscious of the 1.40 scale, collectA excalibosaurus and temnodmontosaurus, collectA's new Elasmosaurus and xiphactinus(not a reptile), safari LTD's tylosaurus, collectA pliosaurus of you mind the lack of tail fluke and the collectA thalassomedon tho it's a little over the 1:40 scale. The pnso mosasaurus is a bit over 1:40 though

Thanks for the recommendations!

callmejoe3

My Safari Ltd 2016 Great White showed up. Looks great and is nicely to scale with my other figures. At about 17 cm, it corresponds to a 6.8-meter shark. A pretty exceptional size, but realistic within what's been scientifically confirmed. Here's how it looks compared to some other Safari figures I have in my 1:40 scale collection.

2014 Pilot whale- 15cm/6.4m

Dolphin TOOB Bottlenose dolphin- 9.6cm/3.8m

Monterey Bay Aquarium collection killer whale mother- 16.3cm/6.5m

bmathison1972

glad you like like; I really do, too!

JimoAi

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on February 18, 2021, 03:25:44 AM
It's really 17cm??

When measuring from snout to the upper lobe of its caudal fin, yes. It does seemingly appear shorter than the orca and pilot whale, but when lining them up close, the tail ends up making it longer despite the other two clearly having more volume.