News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Non-Cetacean Animal collection

Started by callmejoe3, September 07, 2020, 11:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

I think what I'll do is get the Mojo/Maia and Borges octopus and also the IC Safari Ltd figure.

bmathison1972

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 08, 2021, 06:08:04 PM
I think what I'll do is get the Mojo/Maia and Borges octopus and also the IC Safari Ltd figure.

I might have to replace the CollectA one then :)

callmejoe3

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 08, 2021, 07:32:20 PM

I might have to replace the CollectA one then :)

Never saw anyone take photos of the underside yet, so for all we know, the thing may have a beak.

JimoAi

For common octopus, I have the Eikoh figure

JimoAi

This is the blue octopus from Safari? Kinda reminds me of Squidward from spongebob in the colour  71KoAQkCZVL.jpg

Advicot

Never watched Spongebob, but after a quick search I agree sort of
Don't I take long uploading photos!

callmejoe3

Here's the Mojo/Maia and Borges Octopus

The mantle's about 3cm long, so it's roughly in the 1:20 scale when scaled to say, a physically mature giant Pacific octopus.

Unfortunately, there's no beak or mouth sculpted.

Overall, it's a nice figure considering not too many people talk about this one. No regrets.

JimoAi

How big is the monterey bay aquarium whale shark when measured with a curve ruler? Thanks for your help.

bmathison1972

looks good, callmejoe; I might get it to replace the CollectA one (but I will use it as a common octopus and the green Safari as a Giant Pacific)

JimoAi

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 15, 2021, 08:24:53 AM
How big is the monterey bay aquarium whale shark when measured with a curve ruler? Thanks for your help.

Sorry I've missed your question. The whale shark measures at about 26cm from the snout to the tip of the upper lobe, but there's about a ~1cm variation depending on which cast you own.

JimoAi

Are you referring to the newer cast or older cast?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 15, 2021, 06:22:08 PM

The older cast is the one that measures about 26cm. The other one is probably about 25 or 25.5

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 15, 2021, 06:31:29 PM

The older cast is the one that measures about 26cm. The other one is probably about 25 or 25.5
When the tail is stretched out and measured along the more curved side?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 15, 2021, 06:36:14 PM

Just measured it. My smaller cast is 24.5cm. That's measuring along its left side (the concave side that won't over-estimate the total length) and accounting for the curve of the upper lope.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 15, 2021, 06:46:31 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 15, 2021, 06:36:14 PM

Just measured it. My smaller cast is 24.5cm. That's measuring along its left side (the concave side that won't over-estimate the total length) and accounting for the curve of the upper lope.
So the more curved side is an over estimate?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 16, 2021, 02:24:52 AM

Both sides are technically ''curved'', the side that's convex (curved outward)is an over-estimate. Think of it like this, when bending something inflexible like a wooden stick, the outer side breaks first. That's because the length of the outer side is being stretched out as the stick tries to bend, but because the material is inflexible, it breaks. Since materials like soft metal and rubber are more pliable, the outer side can bend (stretch) without breaking. The same holds true for a fleshy animal. As a consequence, when an animal is posed in a single curve, the convex (outer) side of the curve will over-estimate the true length of the animal because that side is being stretched out more than the concave (inner) side.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 16, 2021, 02:45:41 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 16, 2021, 02:24:52 AM

Both sides are technically ''curved'', the side that's convex (curved outward)is an over-estimate. Think of it like this, when bending something inflexible like a wooden stick, the outer side breaks first. That's because the length of the outer side is being stretched out as the stick tries to bend, but because the material is inflexible, it breaks. Since materials like soft metal and rubber are more pliable, the outer side can bend (stretch) without breaking. The same holds true for a fleshy animal. As a consequence, when an animal is posed in a single curve, the convex (outer) side of the curve will over-estimate the true length of the animal because that side is being stretched out more than the concave (inner) side.
So, is it possible to take the average of both sides?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 16, 2021, 03:19:51 AM
So, is it possible to take the average of both sides?

There's no value in taking the average, measuring the concave side alone will give you the accurate length of the animal since it's neither being compressed nor stretched in this situation. In the case of the whale shark, that's the left side.

JimoAi

It did work with an articulated mosasaur I have. Maybe it doesn't work. Will get the moterey bay whale shark to replace my Papo one due to better eyes and better size in my opinion as I have things like pnso tyrannosaurus and Mosasaurus to scale with it. PS: I have ordered a monterey bay mother humpback whale