Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal Toy Blog changes

Started by AnimalToyForum, August 25, 2019, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on March 11, 2024, 02:18:09 AM
Quote from: AnimalToyForum on March 11, 2024, 12:58:46 AMI worked out what was going on. @sbell had input an excerpt in the excerpt field, so it was using that (without the star rating) on the blog main page, rather than generating one automatically from the first paragraph (including the star rating). I've deleted the excerpt and the stars have returned!

I'll make sure I delete the excerpt field from the side bar to avoid this happening again.

I can see why he did this, to make the second paragraph (the review proper) appear on the blog main page rather than the general intro about migrating the fish reviews. Maybe the solution is to move the general statement to the bottom of each review instead.

That's exactly why I did it -- since the boilerplate intro for the Yujin walkarounds didn't make much sense as intro words on the main page.

I'll need to go in and clear...a lot of them...

Looks like the Bandai silver arowana also doesn't have the ratings on the main Blog page.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2024, 08:27:57 PM
Quote from: sbell on March 11, 2024, 02:18:09 AM
Quote from: AnimalToyForum on March 11, 2024, 12:58:46 AMI worked out what was going on. @sbell had input an excerpt in the excerpt field, so it was using that (without the star rating) on the blog main page, rather than generating one automatically from the first paragraph (including the star rating). I've deleted the excerpt and the stars have returned!

I'll make sure I delete the excerpt field from the side bar to avoid this happening again.

I can see why he did this, to make the second paragraph (the review proper) appear on the blog main page rather than the general intro about migrating the fish reviews. Maybe the solution is to move the general statement to the bottom of each review instead.

That's exactly why I did it -- since the boilerplate intro for the Yujin walkarounds didn't make much sense as intro words on the main page.

I'll need to go in and clear...a lot of them...

Looks like the Bandai silver arowana also doesn't have the ratings on the main Blog page.

I thought I deleted the excerpts...

And I fixed it. Maybe that will help

bmathison1972

it's showing up now! It wasn't earlier today or yesterday (for me)

Sim

I've been seeing the same general intro in @sbell's Yujin fish reviews on the blog's main page.  I thought it was intended, but reading this thread, it seems like it isn't?  I don't know why I'm seeing it then.

sbell

Quote from: Sim on March 16, 2024, 10:17:46 AMI've been seeing the same general intro in @sbell's Yujin fish reviews on the blog's main page.  I thought it was intended, but reading this thread, it seems like it isn't?  I don't know why I'm seeing it then.

It's a default, where the blog automatically grabs the first bit of text. I tried to change it, but that causes other problems.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on March 16, 2024, 11:39:08 AM
Quote from: Sim on March 16, 2024, 10:17:46 AMI've been seeing the same general intro in @sbell's Yujin fish reviews on the blog's main page.  I thought it was intended, but reading this thread, it seems like it isn't?  I don't know why I'm seeing it then.

It's a default, where the blog automatically grabs the first bit of text. I tried to change it, but that causes other problems.

You can move the general statement to the bottom of the reviews (except for the first post) instead? I don't think it is needed at the top of each review, neither on the archive/main blog pages or on the full post.

sbell

Quote from: AnimalToyForum on March 16, 2024, 01:36:06 PM

You can move the general statement to the bottom of the reviews (except for the first post) instead? I don't think it is needed at the top of each review, neither on the archive/main blog pages or on the full post.

That's probably true. I can reorganize them at some point

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on March 16, 2024, 02:05:18 PM

Thank you. I can help if you like?

sbell

Quote from: AnimalToyForum on March 16, 2024, 10:47:34 PM
Quote from: sbell on March 16, 2024, 02:05:18 PM

Thank you. I can help if you like?

I just went through them all...I was just about to check them, but the 'excerpts' seem more useful now.

AnimalToyForum

Gwangi

I noticed in this review for the Safari roseate spoonbill that @bmathison1972's picture is the thumbnail for every person commenting on the toy. It confused me at first, I thought he was having a conversation with himself!

https://animaltoyforum.com/blog/roseate-spoonbill-wild-safari-wildlife-by-safari-ltd/

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on March 26, 2024, 05:38:06 PMI noticed in this review for the Safari roseate spoonbill that @bmathison1972's picture is the thumbnail for every person commenting on the toy. It confused me at first, I thought he was having a conversation with himself!

https://animaltoyforum.com/blog/roseate-spoonbill-wild-safari-wildlife-by-safari-ltd/

So, yeah. This is what happened. When we transferred walkarounds over, we initially were transferring over the comments, as well. I was able to change the name of who the comment was from (e.g., Advicot, Isidro, etc.) but I think because I was the one who transferred them, my icon is showing. Not sure how to resolve; @AnimalToyForum

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 26, 2024, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 26, 2024, 05:38:06 PMI noticed in this review for the Safari roseate spoonbill that @bmathison1972's picture is the thumbnail for every person commenting on the toy. It confused me at first, I thought he was having a conversation with himself!

So, yeah. This is what happened. When we transferred walkarounds over, we initially were transferring over the comments, as well. I was able to change the name of who the comment was from (e.g., Advicot, Isidro, etc.) but I think because I was the one who transferred them, my icon is showing. Not sure how to resolve; @AnimalToyForum

Yeah, I just copied in comments when I moved my Yujin ones. Doesn't look quite the same, but no coding errors!

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 26, 2024, 06:11:43 PM

I don't think there's a simple way to fix this, it automatically uses the avatar of the poster (you). At least you were able to edit the names so they are correct. :)

Gwangi

Not sure where to post this but the review I posted today has received 17 votes that have taken it down to a 1.5 star rating. Something is going on @bmathison1972 and @AnimalToyForum !

Edit: it's not just my latest post, looks like all the reviews are being down voted.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on April 28, 2024, 06:16:09 PMNot sure where to post this but the review I posted today has received 17 votes that have taken it down to a 1.5 star rating. Something is going on @bmathison1972 and @AnimalToyForum !

Not just yours, the last three have that phenomenon, including my review of the Eikoh mongooose and the sculpin by @sbell  (I just got home from birding and haven't looked beyong the last few posts). Could be a bot?! Not sure; I hope @AnimalToyForum has a better way of looking into it.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 28, 2024, 06:39:45 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 28, 2024, 06:16:09 PMNot sure where to post this but the review I posted today has received 17 votes that have taken it down to a 1.5 star rating. Something is going on @bmathison1972 and @AnimalToyForum !

Not just yours, the last three have that phenomenon, including my review of the Eikoh mongooose and the sculpin by @sbell  (I just got home from birding and haven't looked beyong the last few posts). Could be a bot?! Not sure; I hope @AnimalToyForum has a better way of looking into it.

I noticed that. It's happened to all my reviews on the first page of my profile.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on April 28, 2024, 06:57:46 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 28, 2024, 06:39:45 PM

I noticed that. It's happened to all my reviews on the first page of my profile.

Okay, I just saw it too. Maybe someone really hates our posts?

One question I've always wondered -- are people rating the reviews or the figures?

bmathison1972

You are only allowed one review per device/per log-in. So for there to be 17 reviews, they had to come from different accounts or computers, which sounds like a bot.

With regards to your question Sean, I grade based on the figure, not the 'review' (i.e., not the writing, opinion, or photography skills of the reviewer). I also take different factors into account, e.g., the era in which it was made or the target audience.

Gwangi

I've always voted for the figure featured in the review and assumed that's what the feature is for. It's not like it's a blog for reviewing reviews. But I know there are people that rate the actual review or take it into account when casting their vote.