Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Crustacea: Decapoda (crabs, shrimps, lobsters, crayfish)

Started by brontodocus, January 11, 2013, 08:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 20, 2016, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 20, 2016, 07:53:26 AM
My only crustacean...
The Animal Planet Japanese Giant Spider Crab

Oooo...I like that one. Need to find one of those  :))
I have a few duplicates of it, I'll set them aside the next chance I get.

AcroSauroTaurus

My only crustacean...

This is the original, the one made before Chap Mei started making Animal Planet figures, so its pretty hard to find. Chap Mei makes one similar to it though, you can get it in some of the ocean themed sets.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 20, 2016, 07:00:44 PM
My only crustacean...

Really good piece. Keep it as a tresure  ^-^.
This is the original, the one made before Chap Mei started making Animal Planet figures, so its pretty hard to find. Chap Mei makes one similar to it though, you can get it in some of the ocean themed sets.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

Walk-around of the hydrothermal vent squat lobster, Shinkaia crosnieri Baba and Williams, 1998 by Colorata, Deep Sea Creatures, No. 08 (2016). This blind, unpigmented decapod is demersal, usually living around hydrothermal vents at a depth of 1200 - 1500 m in the southwest Pacific Ocean.

The figure itself is 25 mm (not including appendages) across its longest part, not accounting for the tail fan curled under the body. I am having a hard time researching the size of the actual animal but from what I can gather it puts the figure at about 1:2 (maybe 1:1 for a small individual). It is a single piece of solid, well-made plastic (as are the other arthropods in the set--no assembly required).

The figure comes with a dark blue-black base simulating rocks and a peg to which you can attach it. The accompanying peg is very long, so it can be cut to the desired length.

This is one of two 'unique' figures in the set (not including plush versions), the other being the Yunohana crab, Gandalfus yunohana. There are two other arthropods in the set (the ever-popular giant deep sea isopod and giant Japanese spider crab), as well as four cephalopods (giant squid, vampire squid, flapjack octopus, nautilus). The figures (at least the arthropods) have the common name, or Colorata, or the number in the series, or any combination thereof, on the bottom, depending on the size of the figure and what all can fit on it. The underside of the corresponding bases also have the common name of the organism and 'Colorata'.
This figure is a MUST for collectors of interesting or unique species, aquatic organisms, or general collectors (or heavily taxonomically-biased collectors like me :) ).

On to the pics!

brontodocus

Awesome! :) And Galtatheoid crabs are so rarely made. Anyways, I think I have to get the entire set.

bmathison1972

Walk-around of the Yunohana crab, Gandalfus yunohana (Takeda, Hashimoto & Ohta, 2000) by Colorata, Deep Sea Creatures, No. 07 (2016). And if you are wondering, yes, the genus was created in honor of the Tolkien character. This crab is also found on hydrothermal vents on the eastern edge of the Philippine Sea Plate south of Japan, but it lives at shallower depths than Shinkaia crosnieri, at 420–1,380 m. Physical eyes are present but are immobile and unpigmented.

The figure itself is 25 mm across its carapace, making it 1:0.6 for an average male or 1:0.5 for an average female. It is a single piece of solid, well-made plastic (as are the other arthropods in the set--no assembly required) with a nice matte finish.

The figure comes with a dark blue-black base simulating rocks and a peg to which you can attach it. The accompanying peg is very long, so it can be cut to the desired length.

This is one of two 'unique' figures in the set, the other being the hyrothermal vent squat lobster, Shinkaia crosnieri. There are two other arthropods in the set (the ever-popular giant deep sea isopod and giant Japanese spider crab), as well as four cephalopods (giant squid, vampire squid, flapjack octopus, nautilus). The figures (at least the arthropods) have the common name, or Colorata, or the number in the series, or any combination thereof, on the bottom, depending on the size of the figure and what all can fit on it. The underside of the corresponding bases also have the common name of the organism and 'Colorata'.
This figure is a MUST for collectors of interesting or unique species, aquatic organisms, or general collectors (or heavily taxonomically-biased collectors like me :) ).

On to the pics!

Lastly I wanted to include this pic of it with the 'cave crab' from Safari LTD's Cave Dwellers TOOB. I am starting to wonder if Safari's crab was intended to be one of the hydrothermal vent crabs (even if not this exact species). Thoughts? It's possible Andre (or someone else) already proposed this idea but I cannot remember.

bmathison1972

A couple hydrothermal vent crabs by Colorata

1. Gandalfus yunohana

2. Shinkaia crosnieri

stargatedalek

I was considering getting just the nautilus, but I'm going to need all of them now ;D

stargatedalek

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 24, 2016, 03:39:21 PM
I think, largely based on its claws, the Safari is intended to represent one of the Chiquibul Cave System crabs:
http://print.alvarezphotography.com/media/a6fb0536-0a04-11e0-9c38-f51f066a7bba-a-cave-adapted-crab-an-animal-unique-to-the-chiquibul-cave-sys

there are so many options, who's to say. Cerberusa caeca comes to mind as well, as do the crabs in the Calbiga system in the Philippines...

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 24, 2016, 03:33:22 PM
I was considering getting just the nautilus, but I'm going to need all of them now ;D

They are all very nice, but other than the two hydrothermal vent crabs none of the species in the set are close to being unique, having all been made multiple times. Even the deep sea isopod; I remember not too long ago there was one, now I have 13 of them (and I don't even have the super realistic life-sized one by Kitan Club!!!)

bmathison1972

Walk-around of the Mexican dwarf crayfish, Cambarellus patzcuarensis Villalobos, 1943 by Banjihan ACE. This small freshwater crustacean occurs in lakes and springs in Michoacan, Chapultepec, Opopeo, and Tzurumutaro, Mexico. One might think this is an unusual choice for a Japanese company, however this species is apparently common in the aquaria trade.

The figure is 40 mm not including appendages, which makes it just under 1:1 (or 1:1 for a small or young specimen). The figure is a solid piece of plastic with no assembly. It is one of a set of 6, each representing different colors, both wild and domestic. When a figure is presented like this, I usually do not make a huge effort to collect every color variant (1-2 or even 3 are OK, but I don't need 6). I picked the brown version as this is closest to the wild type form.

While there are 6 color variants, this could be considered a 'unique figure' as a set, as I am unaware of any other members of this Central American decapod in toy form.

I definite gem for collectors of unusual species; it's also small and doesn't take up much space.

On to the figures!

brontodocus

Nice figure, the translucence looks good on it. I almost bought this one, too, but they seem harder to find now. By the way, I have an orange coloured rain frog, Breviceps adspersus, from the same company (likewise, it was from a set with the same figure in different colours) and I'm pretty sure the company's name is Banjihan ACE.

Jetoar

Really strange species in figure. Thank you again for sharing your images  ^-^.

Jetoar

Banjihan ACE ahve done a gret work with this figure  ;).

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

brontodocus

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 04, 2017, 11:07:40 PM
And the images of the Mud Crab are back! :)

This guy is on BoTD (along with it's large AAA counterpart)

brontodocus

Fixed broken image urls of AAA large Dungeness Crab. :)

brontodocus

Safari IC Blue Crab walk-arond photos have returned. :)