Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Crustacea: Decapoda (crabs, shrimps, lobsters, crayfish)

Started by brontodocus, January 11, 2013, 08:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Geothelphusa dehaani

I checked, and in addition to this one I have the following replicas of this species:

Kaiyodo Animaltales: blue and white (I don't have the original in orange)
Kaiyodo Birdtales: orange (there is also a blue Figure I don't have)
Epoch: orange (there is also a blue figure I don't have)
F-toyes, Creatures of the Waterside: brown
Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour, crab set: dark brown (this was a set that had like 8 or so of this same species, all differnet colors. At the time, I only wanted one representative of the set).

So, including the last as one, there many variations of this species available :)

stargatedalek

I love it, a little beauty she is ;)
sawagani crabs are quite a nice looking crab, and this figure is great with its particularly bold colours
these are an absolute dream to care for, I've never owned one myself but I've had them recommended a few times

widukind

postsaurischian

:) Thanks for the comments!

And thanks for the info, Blaine :) .... here it is in combat with Kaiyodo's 'Birdtales' version:

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

hey all,

Since I've started imaging my figures as I get them, I might as well start a thread for the taxonomic group I have received to date: the Decapoda. It might be desireable to start a second crustacean topic at some point for the non-decapod crustaceans.

Anyway I don't have ALL my figures imaged but I will start this thread with the few I do. I will add to this as I image more figures. So if anyone wants to contribute, go for it (I am sure Andre can fill this thread up quickly).

First, the Alaskan king crab, Paralithodes camtschaticus

From left to right:
1) Kaiyodo (Hokkaido strap set)
2) Epoch
3) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs collection)
4) Kaiyodo (Aquatales)

Secondly, the marine hermit crabs, Paguridae and Diogeniidae.

From left to right:
1) Pagurus longicarpus (Epoch, Earth Life Journey)
2) Dardanus megistos (Cadbury, Yowies)
3) Pagurus samuelis (Yujn, Shrimps and Crabs Collection)
4) anemone hermit crab, Pagurus pedunculatus (Yujin, Shrimps and Crabs Collection]

bmathison1972

Now for the terrestrial hermit and coconut crabs (Coenobitidae).

First, generic hermit crabs (Coenobita sp.) by Safari LTD. The large figure is from their Incredible Creatures Line; the small figure is a Good Luck Mini.

Secondly, various terrestrial hermit crabs.

TOP ROW, left to right:
1) purple hermit crab, Coenobita purpureus (Kitan Club-Nature Techni Colour, Animals of Japan)
2) C. purpureus (Kaiyodo, Natural Monuments of Japan).
BOTTOM ROW, left to right
1-3) terrestrial hermit crab, Coenobita cavipes (Epoch--three color forms).

Third, coconut crabs Birgus latro

left to right:
1) Kaiyodo (Okinawa Figure Collection)
2) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)

bmathison1972

Spider crabs, Macrocheira kaempferi

From left to right:
1) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)
2) Kaiyodo (ChocoQ Animatales)
3) Epoch
4) Kaiyodo (Enoshima Aquarium)

soldier crabs, Mictyris longicarpus
from left to right:
1) Wing Mau (Aquatic Museum)
2) Kaiyodo (CapsuleQ)
3) Cadbury (Yowies)

Red-claw crabs, Chiromantes haematocheir

From left to right:
1) Wing Mau (Aquatic Museum)
2) Kaiyodo (ChocoQ Animatales)
3) Kaiyodo (CapsuleQ)--female
4) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)
5) Kaiyodo (CapsuleQ)--male

brontodocus

Great idea for a thread, Blaine! :) However, I do not have that many Decapoda figures (and I suppose you have probably all of those I will contribute here). :-\

Dendrobranchiata (shrimps or prawns)

Penaeus monodon Fabricius, 1798; Giant Tiger Prawn (Penaeidae). AAA, cast from an actual specimen. Length of carapace 89 mm, total length (tip of rostrum to tip of telson) 219 mm, scale 1:1:

Caridea (caridean shrimps)

Palaemon paucidens De Haan, 1844 (Palaemonidae). Yujin Shrimps and Crabs in Colour No. 9. Length 52 mm, scale approx. 1:1:

Macrobrachium formosense Bate, 1868; Crane River Prawn (Palaemonidae). Kaiyodo Capsule Q Museum Animatales No. 031 (Animatales #280). Length 54 mm, length of carapace 24 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:2:

Achelata (spiny lobsters and relatives)

cf. Panulirus sp., a rock lobster or spiny lobster (Palinuridae). AAA, cast from an actual specimen (stamped "Lobster"). Length 153 mm (318 mm including antenna 2), length of carapace 62 mm, scale 1:1. The long flagellae of antenna 1 suggest this is a representative of Panulirus:

Ibacus ciliatus (von Siebold, 1824); a slipper lobster species (Scyllaridae). Yujin Shrimps and Crabs in Colour No. 7. Length 52 mm, scale approx. 1:4:

Polychelida

Eryon arctiformis Desmarest, 1822 (†Eryonidae). Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 4 No. 082. Length 39 mm, carapace 20 * 24 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:3. One of two famous eryonid crustaceans known from beautiful fossils from the Solnhofen Limestone (the other is †Cycleryon propinquus, there are still others but these are the best known). The Polychelida are not completely extinct and the closest extant relatives of †Eryon are restricted to the bathyal benthos:

Astacidea (crayfish, lobsters and relatives)

Procambarus clarkii Girard, 1852; Louisiana Crayfish or Red Swamp Crayfish (Cambaridae). Yujin Shrimps and Crabs in Colour No. 8. Length 45 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:3:

Homarus cf. americanus H. Milne-Edwards, 1837; (American) Lobster (Nephropidae). AAA, smaller and larger version, lengths 154 and 229 mm (without antennae and chelae), casts of actual specimens but note one missing pleonite ("tail" segment) on smaller version:

Brachyura (true crabs)

Ranina ranina (Linnaeus, 1758); Red Frog Crab (Raninidae). Kaiyodo /The Study Room - The Collections of the National Science Museum Miniature Models No. GK 001. Carapace length * width = 28 * 29 mm, scale approx. 1:3 - 1:6:

Grapsus grapsus (Linnaeus, 1758); Red Rock Crab or Sally Lightfoot Crab (Grapsidae). Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures. Width of carapace 67 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.2:

Platypodiella spectabilis (Herbst, 1794); Gaudy Clown Crab (Xanthidae). 4d Master puzzle:

Metacarcinus magister (Dana, 1852); Dungeness crab (Cancridae). AAA, two versions. Small version: carapace length 31 mm, width 56 mm, scale approx. 1:3 - 1:4. Large version: carapace length 103 mm, width 177 mm, scale 1:1:

Pseudocarcinus gigas (Lamarck, 1818); Tasmanian Giant Crab (Menippidae). Kaiyodo Capsule Aquarium 3 - Shinagawa Aquarium No. 8. Carapace length * width = 19 * 23.5 mm, scale approx. 1:20:

Portunus trituberculatus (Miers, 1876); Japanese Blue Crab or Gazami Crab (Portunidae). Yujin Shrimps and Crabs in Colour No. 6. Carapace 21 * 39 mm, scale approx. 1:3:

Callinectes sapidus Rathbun, 1896; Atlantic Blue Crab (Portunidae). Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures. Width of carapace 108 mm, scale approx. 1:1.6 - 1:2.1:

Calappa lophos (Herbst, 1782); Common Box Crab (Calappidae). Kaiyodo Aquatales series 2No. 025. Length of carapace 23 mm, width 31 mm, 70 mm, scale approx. 1:3:

I left out the PV crabs and a few others I haven't photographed, yet.

bmathison1972

yes I will eventually be adding all of these and many others :). Although I might leave out the big ones that you've already added.

I also am not imaging (now) the PV and 'chinabug' crabs

bmathison1972

Since Andre introduced us to a crayfish, here are my crayfish figures:

First the 'red swamp' crayfish, Procambarus clarkii

TOP ROW, left to right:
1) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)
2) Kaiyodo (ChocoQ Animatales)-red form
3) Kaiyodo (ChocoQ Animatales)-blue form

BOTTOM ROW, left to right:
1) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)-green form (secret figure)
2) Takara TOMY [re-release of the original Yujin set] (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)-albino form (secret figure)

Next, the Japanese crayfish, Cambaroides japonicus

TOP ROW, left to right:
1) Kaiyodo (National Monuments of Japan)
2) Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Animatales)-brown form
3) Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Animatales)-blue form
BOTTOM ROW, left to right:
1) Yujin (Crabs and Shrimps Collection) [secret figure]
2) F-toys (Creatures of the Waterside)-brown form
3) F-toys (Creatures of the Waterside)-blue form [not sure if this was a rare variant or a 'secret' figure]

Lastly, some miscellaneous crayfish:

Right to Left:
1) yabby, Cherax destructor (Cadbury, Yowies--Australian release).
2) yabby, Cherax destructor (Cadbury, Yowies--UK release)
3) cave crayfish, NOS (suggestive of Cambarus jonesi) (Safari LTD, Cave Dwellers TOOB)

widukind

A big lot of phantastic models!! Congrats!!  Do you know the Playvisions crabs? :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: widukind on September 28, 2014, 07:48:04 PM
A big lot of phantastic models!! Congrats!!  Do you know the Playvisions crabs? :)

I have the PlayVisions crabs, I just forgot to photograph some of them.

Newt

Lots of good stuff here!

My first reaction was, "Wow, so many crustacean models!"  But then I thought about how many crustaceans there are, and it changed to, "Wow, so few crustacean models!" There are, what, 500-ish species of freshwater crayfish alone, and I doubt there are many more species represented in model form than you have in your collection. Mudbugs are definitely on my list of things I need to sculpt, so eventually I'll help fill that gap.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Newt on September 29, 2014, 04:00:36 PM
Lots of good stuff here!

My first reaction was, "Wow, so many crustacean models!"  But then I thought about how many crustaceans there are, and it changed to, "Wow, so few crustacean models!" There are, what, 500-ish species of freshwater crayfish alone, and I doubt there are many more species represented in model form than you have in your collection. Mudbugs are definitely on my list of things I need to sculpt, so eventually I'll help fill that gap.

I have more genera and species of decapods to post here...will be doing it in parts.

If you do sculpt any crustaceans or other arthropods, let me know; I'd def buy one if you produce for sale

Quagga

Neh!! Neh!! Neh!!

bmathison1972

ok, time to add more decapods :).

Here are my small shrimp figures (Andre posted the large AAA tiger shrimp, so I won't include that one, although I do have the figure).

Here are my three freshwater shrimp, from left to right:

1) Macrobrachium lar (Kaiyodo, ChocoQ Animatales)
2) Palaemon paucidens (Yujun, Shrimps and Crabs Collection)--Andre also illustrated above.
3) Macrobrachium formosense (Kaiyodo, CapsuleQ Animatales - Shikoko)--Andre also illustrated above

Here are some marine shrimp, from left to right:

1) Japanese tiger shrimp, Marsupenaeus japonicas (Kaiyodo, Capsule Aquarium 6)
2) cleaner shrimp, Lysmata debelius (Toba Aquarium)
3) harlequin shrimp Hymenocera picta, with starfish prey (Epoch)
4) red-banded snapping shrimp Alpheus randalli, with its fish symbiont, Stonogobiops sp. [I am assuming the fish's ID] (Colorata, Coral Reef Fish)--this figure was actually a fish figure with the shrimp as an 'accessory' (but I consider it the reverse :)).

brontodocus

Wonderful to see more of your collection again, Blaine!  :) Sigh, I still don't have that Harlequin Shrimp... :'(
Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 02, 2014, 02:32:06 AM
4) red-banded snapping shrimp Alpheus randalli, with its fish symbiont, Stonogobiops sp. [I am assuming the fish's ID] (Colorata, Coral Reef Fish)--this figure was actually a fish figure with the shrimp as an 'accessory' (but I consider it the reverse :)).
Yes, according to Colorata the goby should be Stonogobiops xanthorhinica which looks about right: http://www.fishbase.de/summary/4311

brontodocus

A beautiful resin piece from Japan, here is the Kaiyodo Aquatales Polyresin Aquatic animal figure collection Series 1 No. 006 Mud Crab, Scylla serrata (Forsskål, 1775). The narrow pleon (the "tail" which is usually retracted under the carapace in true crabs) and huge chelae indicate the figure is representing a male specimen. The carapace width is approx. 43.5 mm and its length is 28 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:4 and 1:6. The figure appears larger, though, and the chelae span some 90 mm. Mud Crabs are large coastal and mangrove-dwelling crabs of high economic importance as food and are either caught or reared in aquaculture. The species is quite common and like most other invertebrates not assessed by IUCN ("Not Evaluated" = NE).

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

bmathison1972

Thanks for posting this. I've had this figure for a few months now. I like it a lot; regrettably it's the only crustacean in this resin model sets, so it's the only one I'll be getting (although that may be good for my bank account-hahahahaha).

Post a pic on the Decapoda thread and I'll follow-up with the smaller portunid figures :)