News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Underground Adventure - Field Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, July 14, 2018, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I was in Chicago these last few days and visited the Field Museum of Natural History. They have this amazing exhibit called 'Underground Adventure'. You walk through a couple rooms, reminiscent of something from Dr. Who, what 'shrinks' you down to 1/100th of your normal size. You then walk through an underground tunnel inhabited by subterranean soil organisms. I snapped a few pics. I wish I knew what happened to these displays when finished; I'd love to have some of these replicas in my collection :). The larger ones (centipede, wolf spider, earwig, crayfish) were often animatronic.

Sorry, lighting was not very good (since it was supposed to be underground):

first up, a scarab beetle larva:

next some cool springtails. sorry about the lack of focus in this image; hadn't realized until I was back home. Would love to get a few of these when the exhibit is over:

part of an earthworm:

a centipede (this was was at a tricky angle to photograph):

a cool earwig, guarding her eggs and young:

a couple cicada exuviae (I think these were intended for kids to sit on and get their pictures taken on...):

a huge crayfish:

a neat oribatoid mite (again, would love to get one of these!):

a wolf spider munching on a beetle grub:

AnimalToyForum

Spectacular models.  I'm working on an interpretation plan for the natural history museum where I work so this is quite inspiring. Any idea who created the models? Presumably they were built in house or commissioned.

Beetle guy

Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 14, 2018, 05:45:48 PM
Spectacular models.  I'm working on an interpretation plan for the natural history museum where I work so this is quite inspiring. Any idea who created the models? Presumably they were built in house or commissioned.

I do not know who made the above models of course. But are you familiar with  Lorenzo Possenti.
Check out his website (bit old ;-)) Amazingly detailed beetles and other invertebrates.
http://www.ecofauna.com/
To beetle or not to beetle.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 19, 2018, 01:49:01 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 14, 2018, 05:45:48 PM

I do not know who made the above models of course. But are you familiar with  Lorenzo Possenti.
Check out his website (bit old ;-)) Amazingly detailed beetles and other invertebrates.
http://www.ecofauna.com/

Thanks for the link! They look amazing.

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.