News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Insects (K&M International - Magnamorphs)

Started by bmathison1972, February 13, 2018, 12:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Review of a (complete?) set of Magnamorphs by K&M International, released in 2005. I was completely unaware of these models until froggie (Beatrice) offered to sell me hers. They seemed unusual and almost outside of my range of things I collect but I thought I would give them a try. As usual, turns out I like them more than I thought I would :-).

I was never familiar with the 'magnamorph' concept, but it looks like they have other animals as well. They are 'puzzle' figures consisting of 5-7 or so pieces held together with strong magnets. Most of them hold together pretty well, and the magnetic connection allows for manipulation of the appendages.

The figures are larger, maybe comparable to Safari Incredible Creatures or larger Bullyland insects. They are stylized but five of the six insects are recognizable at the species level, and the sixth probably to the genus level. The biggest glaring scientific errors are the 6 legs on the two nymphalid butterflies ;-)

These figures (insects or other animals) are probably best for completists among various taxa or are good learning models for children.

1. monarch, Danaus plexippus.

2. praying mantis, Mantis religiosa

3. morpho, Morpho menelaus [the underside of the wings confirms genus Morpho!]

4. Mexican red-kneed tarantula, Brachypelma smithi

5. honey bee, Apis mellifera

6. bumble bee, Bombus sp.

stargatedalek

I have the complete butterfly set (monarch, morpho, and a birdwing [presumably Ornithoptera sp.]), it was sold separately from the mantis/tarantula/bee set.

You have the birdwing head on the monarch and the birdwing itself seems to be missing. Your bumble bee is also using the morpho's legs.

The original gimmick behind these was to create strange grafted hybrid abominations, though it struck me as odd the butterflies came as a set of entirely repaints (no others seem to have).

These were later re-released with "clip-on" parts instead of magnets, I have a sadly mis-matched insect set with these parts, sadly also incompatible with the original magnets. perhaps this set was yet another release variant?

I didn't know there were two bees, do they use the same sculpt?

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 13, 2018, 01:18:39 AM

I have the complete butterfly set (monarch, morpho, and a birdwing [presumably Ornithoptera sp.]), it was sold separately from the mantis/tarantula/bee set.

You have the birdwing head on the monarch and the birdwing itself seems to be missing. Your bumble bee is also using the morpho's legs.

The original gimmick behind these was to create strange grafted hybrid abominations, though it struck me as odd the butterflies came as a set of entirely repaints (no others seem to have).

These were later re-released with "clip-on" parts instead of magnets, I have a sadly mis-matched insect set with these parts, sadly also incompatible with the original magnets. perhaps this set was yet another release variant?

I didn't know there were two bees, do they use the same sculpt?

Interesting. Thank you for more information on this baffling set. As I said, I was oblivious to it before Beatrice offered it to me.

I have everything paired up they way it was sent to me by Beatrice. Maybe she had other figures and things got mixed up? Or they were sold to her mixed up? The legs of the morpho, monarch, and bumble bee are nearly identical in sculpt, but differ in color.

The bees seem to have the same abdomen and thorax, albeit with different colors [maybe the bumble bee had the same style of legs and things got mixed up early on?]

Oh well, this is what I have so this is what I have to work with.