News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Imomushi (Beam)

Started by bmathison1972, September 07, 2017, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Review of a complete set of caterpillars, Imomushi by Beam [note: Beam might be the distributor and not the manufacturer]! I was holding off on posting this set until I got everything identified, but maybe posting it will aid in the identification of some of the more challenging figures.

First of all, many of you may recognize some of these. There have been at least four sets of caterpillars similar to this, and the companies copy each other back and forth, to the point I do not know who made which one first. No two sets have the same species composition. I am picking this one because 1) I know it is complete and 2) I know the manufacturer/distributor.

There are 12 figures, each a solid-piece PVC roughly 7.5 cm (3 inches) long.

The identifications below are my assigning based on:
1) identified by other sellers online
2) comparison of figures by other sets/companies
3) exhaustive Google searches
4) consulting with lepidopterist colleagues.

The figures are in the order based on their letter designation of the accompanying paperwork:

A. zebra swallowtail, Protographium marcellus.
Swallowtail larvae have a similar morphology but can vary in color. I felt this was the best option given this figure's general form and color. I have another from a unknown manufacturer that is more blue.

B. anise swallowtail, Papilio zelicaon.
Another variable species, and again I have another larva by an unknown manufacturer, plus I have identified one of the Toy Major butterflies as the adult of this species.

C. falcate orangetip, Anthocharis midea.
This is corrected ID thanks to the unknown identified set

D. creamy marblewing, Euchloe ausonides.
This is one I have seen marketed as this species, so I am confident on the ID. It is my only figure of this species.

E. small apollo, Parnassius phoebus.
This species is made by a set that actually labels its figures to the species level, so I am confident of the ID. I have one other larva, but no adults.

F. great spangled fritillary, Speyeria cybele.
This one is most-certainly in the fritillary-branch of the nymphalids. With these figures, one must understand that little knobs on the figures might represent longer spines.

G. American painted lady, Vanessa virginiensis.
This is a corrected ID based on the CE/K&M set of labeled figures!

H. small tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae.
This one looks good based on color and general form, but the red legs are perplexing. As such I am keeping the ID somewhat tentative, although it is definitely within this group. Bullyland and CollectA made adults.

I. Mylitta crescent, Phyciodes mylitta.
This is a recent addition from the unknown CE/K&M set of identified species.

J. pipevine swallowtail, Battus philenor.
This distinctive species is fairly straight-forward. I have another similar larva by an unknown manufacturer and Toy Major did an adult (painted 'upside down' however).

K. queen, Danaus glippus.
This is clearly a danaine, and based on the color and arrangement of tentacles, the queen is the best option. I have another larva and a tentative ID on an adult by Toy Major.

L. unknown.
This is the most perplexing and hardest to come up with. The horns are similar to the satyrines, but just not sure. I do not think the horns represent the osmeterium of a papilionid nor the tentacles of a danaine.

bmathison1972

Thanks to dinocat's discovery of the complete set of identified caterpillars (still not sure who made them, CE or maybe K&M), I was able to correct names for C and G and add a name for I.
F and H are still unknown but I am confident with the IDs. Only L remains unknown.