Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Species identification thread (animal toys)

Started by dinocat62, January 04, 2013, 04:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

Maybe a Galapagos Sea lion? bmathison is right, there variations between sea lions isn't super varied and would be near impossible to pinpoint an exact species even with how detailed Kaiyodo is.

bmathison1972

It's been generally assumed Safari's stonefish in the Venomous Creatures TOOB is the reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) but an argument could be made for the estuarine stonefish (S. horrida). Anyone have any thoughts?

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Safari_679504_Stone_Fish

@doug watson - according to the TAI website, you sculpted it. Do you know/remember what species was your influence? Thanks!

EpicRaptorMan

doug watson

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 07, 2023, 11:06:24 PMIt's been generally assumed Safari's stonefish in the Venomous Creatures TOOB is the reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) but an argument could be made for the estuarine stonefish (S. horrida). Anyone have any thoughts?

@doug watson - according to the TAI website, you sculpted it. Do you know/remember what species was your influence? Thanks!

Yes I did and it's Synanceia verrucosa

bmathison1972

Quote from: doug watson on October 08, 2023, 06:41:32 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 07, 2023, 11:06:24 PMIt's been generally assumed Safari's stonefish in the Venomous Creatures TOOB is the reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) but an argument could be made for the estuarine stonefish (S. horrida). Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes I did and it's Synanceia verrucosa

Thanks Doug!

EpicRaptorMan

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Unknown_China_Sea_Cucumber

Anybody got an identification for this one? Or something similar that it could be repainted to?

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

Koifish

Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

bmathison1972

The identity of that sea cucumber has been a topic of discussion for years on the various forums. Not sure if it was ever settled, but I. fuscus seems as likely as anything else!

Koifish

There's also Stichopus chloronotus, since I just noticed the lack of "spines" on the back. With a repaint, it could be convincing as such.
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

Avian

Kaiyodo ChocoQ: Amazing Animals, Nile Crocodile. Does anyone know the species of antelope here?

You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Isidro

From shape and colour I would say it's an impala.

Avian

I was going through a Play Visions catalogue that was posted on the STS Forum and noticed these firefly pens, and I was wondering if these pens are modeled after specific species of firefly or if the fireflies were produced elsewhere independent from the pen? @bmathison1972 these may be of interest to you. I also have the same questions with the "singing bird pens." Thanks.

bmathison1972

@Avian - I have never seen those fireflies, and at this angle I can't reliable identify them. Honestly, a couple look like hemipterans, and not even beetles!

Never saw the birds either but I am sure they all represent North American species. Off hand, I see a Northern Cardinal, Hooded Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Painted Bunting. It'll take time to figure out the rest but I good bird field guide should get you there.

Avian

I believe the others (from top left to bottom right) are Green Jay, American Redstart, Bluethroat, and Blue Grosbeak.

Sim

Does anyone know what species this Schleich chameleon could be?  Perhaps it could work as more than one species, like the Mojo rattlesnake?

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Schleich_42242_Chameleon_set

Avian

Is anyone able to ID the "Bendable Tarantulas", "Tarantulas", and "Cloud Forest Insects of New Guinea" from this Play Visions catalogue? PV often modeled figurines after specific species, and the "Cloud Forest" ones have a pretty specific title although they are not incredibly detailed. Thanks.

BlueKrono

@Avian The New Guinean ones are the same sculpt as the "glow rainforest" ones also pictured. To me they look like a pretty generic weevil, grasshopper and cicada. I wonder if they're the same sculpts as the large size, bagged insects I see often at zoos.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 10, 2024, 04:09:24 AM@Avian The New Guinean ones are the same sculpt as the "glow rainforest" ones also pictured. To me they look like a pretty generic weevil, grasshopper and cicada. I wonder if they're the same sculpts as the large size, bagged insects I see often at zoos.

They are; the weevil, cicada, and grasshopper have been reissued many times (I see them in dollar and dime stores, too).

That being said, the Cloud Forest of New Guinea does sound often specific and they may have been modeled after exact species. Might take some Google searching to narrow them down (?).

The size and resolution of the tarantula pics makes it too hard for me to ID; one looks like a Brachypelma, but which one I am unsure (maybe B. boehmei or B. emilia, the latter of which was in PV's Tarantulas and Spiders collection).

Saarlooswolfhound

Any coral species ID for these? I am hopeless for these...