News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Can you help me?

Started by BlueKrono, January 02, 2017, 03:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

I am trying to figure out which company makes a certain toy I've been searching for for decades, but it's so obscure I don't even have a picture of it. It was a horned frog (Ceratophrys spp.) that I estimate might have been about 5 or 6 inches long, though I was a small child at the time. It was in a bin rack at a pet store, and all the ones in the other bins were Safari. I've just never found any record of Safari making a horned frog, and years of eBay searching have turned up nothing but smaller and more recent Japanese horned frogs. I also saw this elusive figure in the collection of one of my mother's friends many years ago, so I know it does exist. Does anyone have any clue as what this figure might be?
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Safari did do a horned frog; Sean did a walk-around of it here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=902.0

sbell

You aren't crazy, it did exist:

And it is a Safari figure. Item number 259929. I think it is already posted somewhere around here, someone asking about the same figure!

Probably out of production around 2000-2001. I can't remember what they called the line at the time, but it was similar to the Incredible Creatures line, although more focused on large-scale reptiles and amphibians.

Sorry, though, mine isn't for sale. It was given (back) to me by a friend. I bought it for him when he stood up with me at my wedding.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 02, 2017, 04:35:05 PM
Safari did do a horned frog; Sean did a walk-around of it here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=902.0

Double Post! I'd completely forgotten that I'd done a whole walkaround of it! Although, I was able to go fix the one broken link, so that was good.

BlueKrono

Wow guys, I'm literally in awe right now. It's hard to relate how important this figure has been to my life. I thought it was so cool that I learned Spanish and Portuguese, went to the Amazon rainforest in Brazil to study reptiles and amphibians, and collected a plethora of other horned frog figures in search of this one. Having spent thousands in my travels inspired by this figure, I still have yet to acquire it. Seems strange that it would appear so rarely, as I remember that bin had dozens of them, for probably about $5 a pop. There's probably hundreds of them somewhere. And maybe there's a big stache of the Playvisions prehistoric amphibians floating around somewhere too, haha.
I like turtles.

CetaceanFan

I'm happy you found the figure you wanted to find, BlueKrono. ^-^  :D  ;D

BlueKrono

Yes, if I don't get anything else out of this forum, that alone will be worth it. Hoping to put up pics of some of my collections soon though. Just like to point out that a Google search for Safari horned frog still doesn't turn up a pixel of information regarding this figure, even in 2017!
I like turtles.

CetaceanFan

Wow, that's unfortunate that there's still no info for that nice figure  :(
Also I'm looking forward to see your collection  :)
I always like comparing people's collections with my own.

sbell

Quote from: CetaceanFan on January 04, 2017, 04:32:18 AM

That's not entirely ture, I gave you info. But nothing useful--for whatever reason, they are almost impossible to find, as are a lot of Safari's older models from the 90s.

CetaceanFan

Quote from: sbell on January 04, 2017, 11:43:14 PM
Quote from: CetaceanFan on January 04, 2017, 04:32:18 AM

That's not entirely ture, I gave you info. But nothing useful--for whatever reason, they are almost impossible to find, as are a lot of Safari's older models from the 90s.

That is true, because I tried searching for the figure on the web, and no info came up. :-[

sbell

Quote from: BurtonBrian on January 10, 2017, 07:10:49 AM
I think it is  it is a Safari figure. I'm happy you found the figure you wanted to find, BlueKrono.
I like plush toys very much whether I am at a young age or or a older age.It can make me relax and let me forget my unhappy moment when I'm in bad mood.

Well, he found pictures/details about it, but doesn't have one. And sorry, mine isn'y for sale (that was part of the deal of my firend giving it to me).