News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Removing super glue?

Started by Cosmosaur, August 30, 2016, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmosaur

So I obtained a bear figure which has movement in its head - but the person i got it from decided to superglue it into one position for some reason.
My question is what is the best way to removed the glue from the figure without damaging the paint job?

brontodocus

Hi Cosmosaur and welcome t the Animal Toy Forum! :) I'd be cautious with removing superglue from figures - there are removers for super glue that contain acetone or other solvents which would very likely damage the figure. I've found this recipe: http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-super-glue-from-plastic-and-vinyl/#RemovingSuperGluefromPlasticSurfaces but I have never tested it so please use at your own risk. If the pose of the figure isn't too bad maybe leaving it like it is could be an option?

Cosmosaur

Thank you for the reply. I will have to do a bit more research.
If it could damage the figure, aybe I will just leave the head - but I would like full articulation - but if its just the paint job it would damage it doesnt matter as I intened on repainting it.

stargatedalek

It's unlikely to damage the plastic itself, but just to be sure I'd dab a bit on a subtle area of the figure to make sure the plastic isn't going to react first.

Cosmosaur

I actually managed to remove it buy submerging the figure in hot water, and trying to move the head - it came free in a few secconds. Thank you for the help though.

brontodocus

Glad to read you managed to remove the superglue so easily. :)