News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best commercial blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus)

Started by Rossano, August 23, 2016, 10:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossano

I am considering to have a model of the big one in my small collection, and would like to know which is the best one, with particular attention to the comparison of those of the major commercial producers like Papo, Schleich, Collecta and the like. I am particularly interested in the fidelity to the real and then in the perfection of the details and paintings. I like the Safari one but also Schelich's one looks nice. Unusual third place for the Papo one, but I am not sure I am considering all the releavant aspects. What is your opinion?

stargatedalek

Kaiyodo Megasofubi, no contest. If you're willing to spend the money and dedicate the space it is the rorqual figure.

Rossano

thanks stargatedalek, but I would like to have my models all in the same range of scale, so I'd prefer to stay on the more commercial ones I cited in the first post. Do you think that there's a model that's preferrable to the others among those ones?

brontodocus

Quote from: Rossano on August 24, 2016, 05:17:30 PM
thanks stargatedalek, but I would like to have my models all in the same range of scale, so I'd prefer to stay on the more commercial ones I cited in the first post. Do you think that there's a model that's preferrable to the others among those ones?
Actually, one of the most pleasing aspects for me was that the Mega Sofubi Blue Whale is more or less in the same scale range as many models representing other marine animals, e.g. many of the Safari Ltd MBA figures. Thinking of medium-sized figures the Safari Ltd WS Sealife and the current Schleich one are quite good, I can't say which one I like more. I'm not aware of a Papo Blue Whale, actually. If you're into smaller figures, I highly recommend the Colorata Marine Mammals DX Box which contains a brilliant, yet smaller (165 mm), Blue Whale with interchangeable throat - the figure can be displayed either in a normal position or feeding with open mouth and inflated throat. You may have to buy the entire box, though, but the rest of the figures is quite awesome, too.