News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lovely Salamanders

Started by postsaurischian, January 01, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeGe

Thanks! Now i need that COG collection, where can i find it? Any hint appreciated ;)

stemturtle

PeGe, I found the COG Cool Reptiles set of 16 on eBay UK about 4 or 5 years ago after several months of searching. The set was used and in a baggie, so I did not receive any official packaging. The seller called it Itsy Bitsy Bucket of Reptiles. A google search does not turn up this set from Wild Republic, although there are several other topical sets still on the market. If it is out of production, a lengthy search may be necessary. Good luck.  :)

bmathison1972

I found the Itsy Bitsies Insects and bought 'em--I don't think I have figures from that set, but I guess I'll find out. They look generic but if they are smaller than typical Toy Major-style figures than they should be new for me.

PeGe

Okay, thanks. Well, another thing to hunt for,... :-[

brontodocus

PeGe, that's a stupendous collection of salamander figures! 8)
Quote from: PeGe on November 27, 2017, 08:40:40 PM
Yesterday, i found the best fire salamander figurine ever on ebay, and someone bid me out,..i didn't even have the chance to find out what brand it was,...Maybe even someone who reads and/or writes here caught it,..argh:D
I was wondering since you have the Safari Ltd Fire Salamander - which figure could be better than that? Unless the listing you've seen was a SOMSO model? But if it was something different... you got me curious about the possibility that there may be another brilliant toy figure of a Fire Salamander.

A few weeks ago I was finally able to get one of those big K&M salamanders at a shop in the Zoo in Dortmund, they had two versions, Tiger and Red Salamander, both with the annoying forked tongue. I bought the Tiger Salamander. Wait, it's not shown in this thread? I'll need a photo of mine, soon...

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 09, 2017, 08:55:04 AM
A few weeks ago I was finally able to get one of those big K&M salamanders at a shop in the Zoo in Dortmund, they had two versions, Tiger and Red Salamander, both with the annoying forked tongue. I bought the Tiger Salamander. Wait, it's not shown in this thread? I'll need a photo of mine, soon...

I know I have seen all 3 of the large and the medium; I have put up photos of the two former and three latter that I have. Don't recall the third one--if it is a tiger, that would be kind of neat, since they don't actually show up much as figures!

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2017, 05:50:57 PM

I know I have seen all 3 of the large and the medium; I have put up photos of the two former and three latter that I have. Don't recall the third one--if it is a tiger, that would be kind of neat, since they don't actually show up much as figures!

Well, so I'll just show how mine looks like... not the best representation, obviously, but still:

It differs a lot from the one stemturtle showed in his walk-around here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1283.0

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 12, 2017, 01:35:19 PM
Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2017, 05:50:57 PM

Well, so I'll just show how mine looks like... not the best representation, obviously, but still:

It differs a lot from the one stemturtle showed in his walk-around here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1283.0

I don't think they always had the best quality control on their paint jobs! But I seem to recall that the one I saw was even more green.

stemturtle

Nature Technicolor released a set of 8 Axolotls and Frogs for 2018.
See Recent Acquisitions, Reply #1612 for a group shot showing the
4 axolotl figures
, cast from 2 molds in 2 colors.

Axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum, leucistic with chain (Ikimon)     

Axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum, golden albino with magnet (Ikimon)     

Images of the color alternates are not repeated here.

sbell

I like the poses of the hanging axolotls...but it makes display harder! I might have picked up at least one if they'd been wild colour...

Beetle guy

Quote from: sbell on February 28, 2018, 06:36:24 PM
I like the poses of the hanging axolotls...but it makes display harder! I might have picked up at least one if they'd been wild colour...

I agree, I like the 'drifting' poses in axolotis, toad and frogs in the Kitan series.
To beetle or not to beetle.

Takama

One of the easiest ones to find. 

stargatedalek

Absolute bump, but I'm hoping to order from this company soon and I would appreciate any information regarding material durability, difficulty of preparation, and general shipping costs.

stemturtle

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 06, 2018, 03:56:22 AM
Absolute bump, but I'm hoping to order from this company soon and I would appreciate any information regarding material durability, difficulty of preparation, and general shipping costs.

Email sent.

Beetle guy

Does anybody know if the Safari – TN Aquarium Fire Salamander is still available somewhere?

Beetle guy

Thank you for this walkaround @stemturtle !
Just ordered the translucent one via Ebay, I am going to paint it.

stemturtle

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 31, 2019, 07:58:14 PM
Thank you for this walkaround @stemturtle !
Just ordered the translucent one via Ebay, I am going to paint it.

Given the extraordinary realism of your cast replica amphibians, your repaint of the mudpuppy may exceed the quality of the original.
I hope you will post the result.

Beetle guy

sphyrna18

I'm excited to see your results. I repainted quite a few and have sold some of them. I learned the hard way though (meaning I had to refund money :-( ) that you need to wash then seal the translucent figure, as it is oily and tends to shed paint easily. Good luck! And again, I can't wait to see your repaint!

Beetle guy

@sphyrna18, thanks for the good advice! Your actual post inspired me to give it a go :))
I did some repaints with bad preparation of Takara beetles and they ended up sticky, did not want to repeat that.

2 will arrive end of februari by post, cant wait to start painting! ::)