News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

F-Toys - Insect Hunter set 2016

Started by Beetle guy, April 12, 2016, 06:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

The F-Toys Insect hunter set for 2016. Much the same like the 2014 and 2015 set though. two xylotrupes dichotomus (brown and black), a dorcus hopei binodulosus. New ones a Dynastes neptunus and Chalcosoma chiron. These last two I will get  ;)
To beetle or not to beetle.

stargatedalek

The English names have me curious, they are rather funny (I assume they are parodying stereotypical wrestling names in reference to beetle fighting). "The Name of God" also has me a tad confused, is that in reference to the English name Heracles/Hercules beetle?

bmathison1972

I like that they keep putting out new sets each year, just wish they would mix up the species. The last two sets each, I believe, had two A. dichotoma. I am with you and will just get the two new species (well, new for them).

Beetle guy

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 12, 2016, 09:29:03 PM
The English names have me curious, they are rather funny (I assume they are parodying stereotypical wrestling names in reference to beetle fighting). "The Name of God" also has me a tad confused, is that in reference to the English name Heracles/Hercules beetle?

Neptune beetle. They might mean the Roman god of the sea.. I think.

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 12, 2016, 09:55:15 PM
I like that they keep putting out new sets each year, just wish they would mix up the species. The last two sets each, I believe, had two A. dichotoma. I am with you and will just get the two new species (well, new for them).
Like the sets each year to! Last two years had both the dichotoma and the dorcus. same mold, same colour that is a pitty. Older sets (1,2,3 and 4) were much more different. Set 4 did have a dichtoma female!

stargatedalek

Oh cool, I'd thought Hercules/Heracles was the common name for that whole group. Thanks.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 13, 2016, 12:30:33 AM
Oh cool, I'd thought Hercules/Heracles was the common name for that whole group. Thanks.

'Hercules' beetle is a general term for members of the genus Dynastes, yes, although D. neptunus is often called the Neptune beetle. Just emphasizes why common names are so pointless!

Beetle guy

This is the front of the box.
release date will be around 20 june 2016.

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 13, 2016, 12:43:11 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on April 13, 2016, 12:30:33 AM

'Hercules' beetle is a general term for members of the genus Dynastes, yes, although D. neptunus is often called the Neptune beetle. Just emphasizes why common names are so pointless!
Many of the largest beetle species' vernacular and scientific names were derived from Greek mythology, especially when they were described in the second half of the 18th Century. You can find a coleopteran namesake for virtually any name of any mythological hero or god. I'll probably try to get the Dynastes neptunus as a single figure.