News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Butterfly Nature Tube (K&M - Wild Republic)

Started by bmathison1972, July 17, 2015, 12:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

This is a review of the entire set of the Butterfly Nature Tube by K&M - Wild Republic.

There are 12 figures in the set. Physically, and the design of several, are clearly influenced by the Butterflies Collectors Case by Safari LTD. The figures have a 60 mm wingspan on average. There are no names, neither on the figures themselves nor on any accompanying paperwork.

EDIT: 9/9/2017; looks like we have reasonable names for all 12 figures. Identifications below are mine or others (most notably, Bowhead Whale on the STS forum).

If anyone can confirm, correct, or expand upon our identifications, PLEASE do so :). I can edit the thread as needed.

1. southern dogface butterfly, Zerene cesonia.
This is one of two figure of this species, the other being by Toy Major. This figure could probably be made to represent one of several pierids, but since Z. cesonia is one of my favorites, that is what I am going with.

2. monarch, Danaus plexippus.
A common among toy figures. I have additional figures by Safari LTD (Smithsonian Insects, Hidden Kingdom Insects, Authentics Insects, and Safariology Life Cycle series), CollectA, Cadbury (UK and Australian Yowies), Groovy Tube Books (Bug Blast!), Toy Major, 4D Master, Learning Resources (Jumbo Insects), and a host of un-named bin-style figures.

3. paradise birdwing, Ornithoptera paradisea
I am basing my identification on the shape of the wings and the tails. However, I must admit, the color is more like the common green birdwing, O. priamus, which has been made a couple times in toy form.

4. European peacock, Aglais io.
When I first posted this thread I thought this was a unique figure, but it had also been done by K&M for their Butterflies Mini Polybag and by Bullyland. They are also made as porcelain figurines (I have three as feves).

5. crowned hairstreak, Evenus coronata

The color is not perfect, but this species has been made several times and it is most certainly a knock-off of other E. coronata figures, with I believe Club Earth starting the trend.

6. Andromeda satyr, Cithaerias andromeda.
I placed this figure in this genus based on color and wing shape. Certainly one of the most interesting in the set. I do not have any other butterflies like it.

7. paper kite, Idea leuconoe
I do not like assigning this name to this figure, but it is clearly a knock-off of the figure of the same name in Safari's Collectors Case series.

8. silver-bordered fritillary, Boloria selene.
ID courtesy of Bowhead Whale. A new genus and species for me!

9. the yellow zebra, Graphium deucalion.
This appears to be one of the jays in the genus Graphium, with G. deucalion being the most reasonable option.

10. common green birdwing, Ornithoptera priamus.
Thanks to Isidro for this ID; I cannot come up with anything better!

11. batwing butterfly, Atrophaneura semperi.
Thanks to Isidro for this suggestion. I cannot come up with anything better.

12. broad-banded page, Siproeta superba.
Another ID courtesy of BW! Again, I cannot come up with anything better!

Roger

Thanks a lot Blaine! I was really hoping for it!  :)
I even tried to use this guide but I was not very successful with it, maybe you can manage it better. :)
I'll use your pictures on Toy Wiki as you already know. :D

bmathison1972

Quote from: Roger on July 18, 2015, 01:27:49 AM
I even tried to use this guide but I was not very successful with it, maybe you can manage it better. :)

feel free to use my text and images, but please do find a way to credit me as the source of the images. Thanks.

Jetoar

Great haul, Ornithoptera paradisea could be my favorite of this set  :).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roger

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 19, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: Roger on July 18, 2015, 01:27:49 AM

feel free to use my text and images, but please do find a way to credit me as the source of the images. Thanks.

Blaine, the best way to be credited in a Wiki project is contributing directly. Though, it is already good that some collectors provide some informations and pictures, so, I'll find surely a way to credit you. :D

bmathison1972

I have re-captured these images for Postimage, with some additional updates and edits.

bmathison1972

Update 9/9/2017. With help from Bowhead Whale on the STS forum, looks like we now have reasonable identifications for all 12 figures in this set. The first post was edited accordingly.

Isidro

10 clearly intend to be Ornithoptera priamus... and 12 is a Papilio. The 11 maybe intend to be some Atrophaneura or Papilio... (not polytes). However one never can be sure with these incredibly bad (or surrealistic) figures, as they barely try to match the species... (the Inachis io is like a kick in the ass!). Same for Idea leuconoe (Idea with tailed wings?!?!) but at least this is the name provided by the brand...

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on September 12, 2018, 08:09:52 PM
10 clearly intend to be Ornithoptera priamus... and 12 is a Papilio. The 11 maybe intend to be some Atrophaneura or Papilio... (not polytes). However one never can be sure with these incredibly bad (or surrealistic) figures, as they barely try to match the species... (the Inachis io is like a kick in the ass!). Same for Idea leuconoe (Idea with tailed wings?!?!) but at least this is the name provided by the brand...

Oh yes I agree Ornithoptera priamus is a better thought for number 10, and Atrophaneura semperi is better for 11. It's not perfect but it's better than what I have it as now. (I was never sold on the ID for all but couldn't come up with something better at the time). This set was most perplexing. Thanks Isidro! The IDs on this thread have come together from assistance from multiple people!

Isidro

And for the number 8, maybe there is a better match than Boloria selene (actually the match, rather than just "Boloria selene", should be "a thing that with much imagination resembles any of the hundreds of species on several genus of "fritillaries", including for example Boloria selene"). What about Precis almana (Junonia almana)? Still very wrong, but at least the colour tone matches and the presence of ocelli in hindwings too...