News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lord of the Pachyderms: Elephants

Started by Ana, December 30, 2012, 11:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

I think it's probably my favorite toy African bush elephant so far. Even though it was retired few years ago it is still not so hard to find (unlike some other animals from this line which are very rare now) I was lucky to find both: mother and baby with tag :D On the tag scale was described as 1:15, however it may be between 1:20-1:15. Dimensions of adult are: 19 cm high in shoulder and total length 30cm.

Photo together with young.

And some more photos of adult one:

These two are my only figures from Vanishing Wild. :)

brontodocus

Simply wonderful figures and great photos, Ana! :) The adult is such an impressive and huge figure (it has a weight of approx. 1.4 Kg!) and has a very dynamic pose, too. Too bad mine is heavily worn, but yours is in great condition! 8)

Ana

Thank You  ^-^
Yes, they are heavy indeed ! That's why postage was so expansive  :o

AnimalToyForum

Beautiful photos Ana  :) Such a detailed figure  :o  :)

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on December 30, 2012, 11:34:25 AM
Simply wonderful figures and great photos, Ana! :) The adult is such an impressive and huge figure (it has a weight of approx. 1.4 Kg!) and has a very dynamic pose, too. Too bad mine is heavily worn, but yours is in great condition! 8)

1.4 kg...... he is to heavy  :o.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

:D Amazing!!

Great pics! I especially like the baby. Now I have to find one :).

Ana

brontodocus

Walk-around of the superbly detailed Safari Ltd. Wildlife Wonders (female) Asian Elephant, Elephas maximus Linnaeus, 1758. Shoulder height is 140 mm, so the scale would be approx. 1:14 - 1:20. Human figure is approx. 1:20 scale. Link to the figure at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wildlife-wonders%E2%84%A2-asian-elephant
A thread for the whole series is here, too. http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/topic,50.0.html

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Jetoar

brontodocus

Thanks, tyrantqueen & Jetoar! :) Those creases on the skin are even a little more detailed than those of the WW African Bush Elephant.

Ana

Wonderful! On my wishlist from long time already  ::) It's really lovely female and I hope one day Safari will do nice male for her also :D

OkapiBoy

Along with Lions, tigers, giraffes, Rhinos, bears, zebras, and wolf, elephants are one of the best known animals in the world, and for good reasons. Elephants are the largest land mammals alive today. Their body plan is very much unlike any other living animals, with large ears, long trunk, pillar-like legs, and long tusk.
The two (or three) species, African and Asian elephants living today, comes from a long line that stretches millions of years (there are over160 extinct members of the order Proboscidea). Unfortunately, both species are struggling to survive and may soon join their long extinct ancestors.

The African elephant ( Loxodonta Africana)
Also known as bush elephant is native to Africa. They are larger than the Asian species, and both sexes have tusk. They can be found in diverse habitat, from savannahs, forest, deserts, and coastal areas. The forest elephant L. Cyclotis) is considered a sub-species of the bush or African elephant, although some consider it as a whole separate species. They are slightly smaller than that of their savannah cousins, and typically have shorter, more slender tusk. As their name suggest, they inhabit dense forest in central Africa.

Papo

Mojo

Wild Republic

KMI

The Asian elephant (Elephas Maximus)
smaller than it’s African cousin, and is native to Asia. In this species, only the males typically have the long tusk (although females also sometimes have them, but much smaller). Their ears are much smaller that their African counterpart and they are also more hairy. Like its African cousin, Asian elephants can be found in diverse habitat (except for deserts), and are known swimmers (hoping from one island to another in some places).  Asian elephants can be found in the Asian continent and also in many SE Asian island nations. Unlike the African elephant, Asian elephants have a long history of domestication and features prominently in some Asian cultures.

Papo

CollectA

As a bonus, here are some extinct Proboscideans ( Deinotheres, Mammutids, and gomphotheres)  along with their living relatives.

There you go, now lets see your various figures ;D

Jetoar

Cool images, thanks for sharing friend

Fukuiraptor

I love elephants!  Thanks for sharing!

sauroid

these are my Elephants
Nayab African elephant

Mojo Fun African Elephant and calf

Collecta Asian elephant calf (w/ a hippo calf)

Japan brand (maybe Yujin) Asian elephant

and an unknown solid vinyl African elephant

OkapiBoy

That Nayab figure is cool. I am not familiar with the line.
Here are two more asian elephants from Safari and Schelich
[

Jetoar

Very nice figures, before figures that did Schleich were not bad, but this figure are better from my point of view.

brontodocus

Those Papo elephants are both very good, the African and the Asian one! 8)

brontodocus

Walk-around of the impressive Schleich World of History (New Heroes) "Mighty Fighter Elephant with Rider" (sorry, but I don't really like that name, the German original "Der mächtige Kampfelefant mit Reiter" isn't any better), representing a whitish (probably leucistic) Asian Elephant, Elephas maximus Linnaeus, 1758. The ears are a little large, though, but the rest is clearly representing an Asian Elephant, even the one-fingered tip of the proboscis and the number of toenails match (five on the foreleg, four on the hindleg). If you want you could regard this figure as representing the extinct Syrian Elephant, E. m. asurus Deraniyagala, 1950, which may or may not have been used as war elephant and which was larger on average than extant subspecies. However, it is unknown if Syrian Elephants differed in ear size from other Asian Elephants. The figure is heavy (1272 g without the rider) and very large, shoulder height is 164 mm (24 mm taller than the Safari Ltd Wildlife Wonders Asian Elephant which can be seen in the comparison shots). The scale would be between 1:13 and 1:20 for extant E. maximus and up to 1:22 for E. m. asurus, the size of the rider would suggest more or less 1:20, though. The armour plates are glued on and not intended to be removed, e.g. the head armour has a peg that is glued into a hole on the elephant's forehead (see seventh photo from above). Schleich also made an add-on for this figure, a platform with two more warriors that can be placed on the elephant's back. I don't have that one, though.

Edit 2017-01-24: Fixed broken image urls. Edited again 2017-02-07: Images now hosted on postimage.