News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Asiatic Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii)

Started by sphyrna18, April 20, 2015, 11:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sphyrna18

Asiatic Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii) - repaint of the Safari Ltd. North American Wildlife Puma.  Completed in 2014.  Approximate scale 1:10 (1:9 to 1:11).  P. temminckii has always looked, to me, very much like a mini-puma, so I thought this robust figure from Safari Ltd (my favorite Puma figure to date) would make an ideal Asiatic Golden Cat.

It could probably stand to be a little darker in color, but playing with the reds/oranges/browns to get the color exact was beyond difficult, and this species occurs in such a wide range of pelage that the finished figure is not out of the realm of realism.  In fact, a Google search found ample support for such an orangey colored cat.  The facial markings also were no walk in the park, but turned out okay in the end.... I would definitely like to revisit this species in the future.

bmathison1972

VERY nice Chad! When I was a generalist, I also had this Safari puma and also felt it was the best out there!

sphyrna18

Thanks, Blaine! I appreciate that. This figure is such a definitive puma that it's hard not to look at it and still see a one, regardless of paintjob. I think that's one reason I went more orange with it instead of brownish.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Excellent! :) I really like the NAW Puma and I think the original paint job didn't do the sculpt justice. The figure really benefits from a good drybrushing and I think about repainting my figure too, even if I'm going to keep this as a Puma.
Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 21, 2015, 12:41:58 AM
VERY nice Chad! When I was a generalist, I also had this Safari puma and also felt it was the best out there!
You collected non-arthropod figures, too? :o ;D