News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. Glow-In-The-Dark Mudpuppy Repaint

Started by sphyrna18, December 05, 2014, 12:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sphyrna18

Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures Glow-In-The-Dark Mudpuppy.  1:1 scale.

We're going to be offering repainted Safari Ltd. GITD Mudpuppy figures starting soon through EBay store Mokarran, or visit our website (www.sphyrnaenterprises.com) for info.  We'll be updating with better photos soon.

K907

The repaint looks awesome!!!  :)) Impressive job Chad! What does the repaint look like in the dark?

sphyrna18

Thanks, Kevin!  I appreciate it.  They don't glow anymore, for better or worse.  They just look like standard figures.  I'm sure if the paint were to chip, then they would glow again, though haha.

stemturtle

Sphyrna18, my compliments on your repaints. 300 million years ago, we all looked something like mudpuppies.
We cannot help feeling a connection with them. You do lovely work.

sphyrna18

Quote from: stemturtle on December 05, 2014, 12:55:43 AM
Sphyrna18, my compliments on your repaints. 300 million years ago, we all looked something like mudpuppies.
We cannot help feeling a connection with them. You do lovely work.

Thank you very much.  It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there is actually a dark version and a light version, the darker I suppose representing a slightly older specimen. 

brontodocus

Great idea and two wonderful repaints, too! :) I've been thinking about repainting my translucent mudpuppy ever since I received it as a present. Did you just paint over the figure with acrylics or did you use some kind of primer before you started painting?

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sphyrna18

Thanks, Andre and Jetoar! 

I didn't use a special primer on these two, but it probably wouldn't have hurt. I did do a base coat that was courser than the top coats so they could adhere better.  And I used standard acrylics.  More important for these figures specifically, I forgot to wash them before painting them, and they were really oily.  The paint peeled pretty quickly.  So I had to do a number of repairs/repaints.  So the two in these pictures are actually not going up for sale.  But I learned my lesson and the others don't seem to suffer the same problem.  I also use a sealant, and that stopped all the paint peeling. 

sphyrna18

Quick update.  You can see some of the glue hasn't dried yet securing the rocks to the base, but the Mudpuppy itself is done.  Obviously, each figure will be slightly different, and each base is handmade, so they won't be exactly the same, but this gives a general idea of the treatment we're giving each figure.  If we can actually sell one or two (or more :) ) then we may start doing customs of other figures.  If not, this will blow up in our faces and we will be the wiser for it, I suppose.  So, shameless plug - if you know anyone who is interested in the Mudpuppy, but doesn't want to repaint it themselves, we will be selling them through our EBay store, Mokarran http://stores.ebay.com/MOKARRAN.  We also post updates to our new Facebook page (Sphyrna Enterprises) and to our website (which we're still building) - www.sphyrnaenterprises.com.

brontodocus

What else can I say but... wow! 8) The first two ones you've shown us were already brilliant but now this finished one with the custom base is just wonderful. I wish you all the success needed and deserved, Chad! :)

K907

OMG looks even better than the original mudpuppy! I might have to pick this one up soon! U

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

bmathison1972

I'll take a base for displaying other figures on :) (gashapon-style crayfish come to mind... :)  ).