News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal Kaiser card and toy collecting game from Japan

Started by sbell, July 27, 2014, 04:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

So I was searching around on Jauce, seeing what was new (prior to shipping an order) and discovered a card-collecting game inthe vein of so many other Japanese games called Animal Kaiser.

Of course, of greater interest was the range of animal figures that they made to go along with them. They are...of varying quality. Some appear to be excellent replicas. Some are plain goofy.

I found a site here with what appears to have a lot of them:

http://ak-sg.blogspot.ca/2010/10/animal-kaiser-figurines-japan.html

As I looked them over, I discovered a few things--one, I NEED to track down the electric ray and the skate.

Second, it appears I had two of them, and didn't even know it:

Ryuku Leaf turtle:

Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (they actually are specific right to the species!)

I actually have 2 of the hammerheads. I didn't even know what they were when I got them, several years ago. One neat thing about them--it appears that most of the sea creatures come with a small, clear vinyl block to act as a stand (not pictured) which actually makes the figures great for display (admittedly, I used the stands for other figures!).

So perhaps someone can find these, or know someone who can? Or maybe there are other people that have some, and didn't know what they were.

Or, maybe, I just found something 'new' (some of these are from several years ago) that someone will need to try to track down.  >:D

stargatedalek

Thanks for sharing
I'll be keeping an eye out for that hornbill

sauroid

the brand is NBGI. i have the electric skate/ray, leaf turtle, goblin shark, asian elephant, bald eagle, bat, the wolf with scarf, giant panda, the black panther

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on July 27, 2014, 05:40:38 AM
the brand is NBGI. i have the electric skate/ray, leaf turtle, goblin shark, asian elephant, bald eagle, bat, the wolf with scarf, giant panda, the blue tiger

Where/how did you get them? Why have you not shared the ray in the chondricthyans thread? Do you wish to part with the ray (regardless of which one--there is a proper Raja skate, and a species of torpedo ray I didn't identify, probably a smooth) because I am pretty sure I can totally find something worth trading for it! Old Schleichs? New CollectA or Mojo? Something else? Just sayin'! ;D

Torpedo ray:

Skate

EDIT--Okay, I was able to find the species. The electric ray is Torpedo tokionis and the skate is Raja velezi.

widukind

stargatedalek

most of the birds, fish , and arthropods are pretty good (not counting the anthro ones that stand out pretty clearly)

bmathison1972

Neat. I wouldn't mind getting some of the arthropods (as long as they are not Chinabug knock-offs; the quality seems varying).

Although I do not collect amphibians, the axolotl looks to be one of the neatest among them to me. Sean, I thought you'd be all over that Dunkleosteus :)

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 27, 2014, 05:24:57 PM
Neat. I wouldn't mind getting some of the arthropods (as long as they are not Chinabug knock-offs; the quality seems varying).

Although I do not collect amphibians, the axolotl looks to be one of the neatest among them to me. Sean, I thought you'd be all over that Dunkleosteus :)

I saw that one too--there are even a couple on Jauce, but given their fees, not happening (1100Yen+ for a 400Yen figure seem shigh for that one). But then, I have several good Dunkleosteus. That one looks like some weird Corman-esque monster movie thing.

There is also a hyena, in the first series. But again, it looks terrible so not even interested unless it is somehow free. ;)

widukind

Are the cards with a figurine together or are the figurines available alone?

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on July 27, 2014, 06:49:37 PM
There is also a hyena, in the first series. But again, it looks terrible so not even interested unless it is somehow free. ;)

Yeah I was gonna mention the hyena but after looking at it I thought....nah...  ;)

sauroid

Quote from: sbell on July 27, 2014, 06:29:36 AM
Where/how did you get them? Why have you not shared the ray in the chondricthyans thread? Do you wish to part with the ray (regardless of which one--there is a proper Raja skate, and a species of torpedo ray I didn't identify, probably a smooth) because I am pretty sure I can totally find something worth trading for it! Old Schleichs? New CollectA or Mojo? Something else? Just sayin'! ;D
EDIT--Okay, I was able to find the species. The electric ray is Torpedo tokionis and the skate is Raja velezi.
here's the electric ray, etc.

no wonder i saw something unusual about their facial expression. they're not supposed to realistically represent the animals (although some look realistic enough).

sbell

Quote from: widukind on July 27, 2014, 07:09:43 PM
Are the cards with a figurine together or are the figurines available alone?
If you were to buy one new I'm guessing a card would come with it. But I have yet to see a non collector with both.

Also, I take it that the torpedo ray is not available--dang it all. Can you tell me where/how you got it?

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

I talked to my contact in Hong Kong (who supplies me with most of my gashapon figures) and he's unsure how to get these Kaiser figures...he'll look into it though.

bmathison1972

Well, I have finally acquired some Animal Kaiser figures, the emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator Pandinoides cavimanus) and the stag beetles Cyclommatus metallifer and Prosopocoilus giraffa. Luckily, the arthropods are not so anthromomorphized :-)

JimoAi

I have acquired more figures for this line and some of my old cards I had back since 2008/2009 and they're still in decent shape but they're all Chondrichthyes

JimoAi

I've compiled a list of the animals that were made into figures that aren't those comical characters.

Mammals and synapsids:
African Lion
Bengal tiger
black leopard
Smilodon
grey wolf
African painted dog
Polar bear
Giant panda
Indian rhinoceras
Wooly mammoth
African elephant
Indian elephant
Cape buffalo
European bison
Moose
Holstein
Reticulated giraffe
Red kangaroo
Vampire bat
Lowland gorilla
Orangutan
Common hippopotamus
Dugong
Narwhal
Sperm whale
Orca
Blue whale
Dimetrodon

Dinosaurs:

Bald eagle
Great hornbill
Andean condor
Paragrine falcon
bateleur
Archaeopteryx
Tyrannosaurus
Triceratops

Reptiles:
Nile crocodile
Indian Gharial
Nile crocodile
King cobra
Indian cobra
Malayan Blue coral snake
Spiny turtle
Pteranodon

Amphibians:
Giant Salamander
Axolotl

Fish:
Great white shark
Scalloped hammerhead
Goblin shark
Giant Manta
Trapezoid torpedo
Velez skate
Largetooth sawfish
Dunkleosteus
Atlantic football fish
Indo-Pacific Sailfish
Mola Mola
Piraya Piranha

Insects and arachnids:
Longtooth stag beetle
Stag beetle
Japanese rhinoceros beetle
Giraffe stag beetle
Hercules beetle
Asian Giant hornet
Praying mantis
Red clawed scorpion
Dark scorpion
Mexican Redknee Tarantula

bmathison1972

I would love to complete the arthropods, even if they don't 'technically' fit into my current criteria for Japanese insect figures. I can't remember, but I think I have maybe three of them (giraffe stag beetle, Tanzanian red-clawed scorpion, and ...?)