Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fading Giants: Rhinos (family Rhinocerotidae)

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 24, 2012, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonwolf

Quote from: KaraWildsong42 on April 09, 2014, 03:16:43 PM
Very nice figure! The pebbly skin and joints of its body are very well detailed. The face is nice too, I like the hint of a smile! :)
I agree. The folds and knobs on its hide remind me of prehistoric armor,

Dragonwolf

Quote from: brontodocus on February 04, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
Thanks, Ana! :) I was very impressed by the detail of the rhino myself. I think both this one and the WS Wildlife White Rhino are excellent. How nice would it be if they also included a Black, Javan, and Sumatran Rhino, eventually! :)
I admire your photos, Bronto. If someone can instruct me how to post pictures here in the forum, I'd be really grateful. That way, I can do a walk around photo shot for the Safari black rhino. ;D

brontodocus

Ravensburger (a German company which mostly produces board games) offers interactive toys that can be played with a pen-shaped device, the so-called tiptoi pen. While this is more interesting for my kids than for me, Ravensburger's release of animal figures which started in 2013 contains some interesting figures (this year they also started releasing dinosaur figures which very much resemble Schleich World of History dinosaurs). I don't think all of their figure range can compete with major animal toy companies but one figure stands out so much that I needed to have it. In fact I think it surpasses most (if not all) previously existing toy figures representing this species. I'm talking about the Ravensburger tiptoi 00366 Black or Hook-lipped Rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis (Linnaeus, 1758). Snout-vent length is approx. 127 mm and shoulder height 70 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:19 and 1:25. The human figure (man from Safari Ltd People in Motion Toob) is approx. 1:23 - 1:27 scale.
Black Rhinos are on the brink of extinction and have been severely decimated by poaching and habitat loss with three subspecies already being extinct. By 2008 the total population had slightly recovered and was estimated to be 4,240 individuals but the species still qualifies being categorised "Critically Endangered" by IUCN http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/6557/0.
There's also a comparison shot of the tiptoi Black Rhino with the similar sized 2014 Wild Safari Wildlife version.
The scientific name Diceros bicornis should not be confused with that of a Southeast Asian Flower Beetle species, Dicheros bicornis (Latreille, 1817), which is often misspelled Diceros bicornis.

I have to say that currently the tiptoi Black Rhinoceros is my favourite figure representation of this species - only the large yellow tiptoi dot that is necessary for the tiptoi pen to work is quite distracting for animal figure collectors. So I had to customise mine and now the tiptoi dot is all gone.

The tiptoi dot:

After customisation the dot isn't visible anymore, the figure was drybrushed and the pinkish lips were painted grey:

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

A really impresive figure from Ravensburger and it have the same size that Safari figure even  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

widukind

TipToi have any good figurines, this rhino is one of that  :)

brontodocus

Walk-around of the retired Bullyland Animal World "Deluxe" Javan or Sunda Rhinoceros, Rhinoceros sondaicus Desmarest, 1822; adult (63535) and calf (63536). Snout-vent lengths are approx. 121 mm (adult) and 87 mm (calf) and shoulder heights 64 mm (adult) and 42 mm (calf) so based on the adult's dimensions the scale is between approx. 1:22 and 1:26. The human figure (man from Safari Ltd People in Motion Toob) is approx. 1:23 - 1:27 scale. The Javan Rhinoceros is one of the rarest mammal species with only 40 to 60 individuals remaining in Ujung Kulon National Park on western Java. It is therefore categorised "Critically Endangered" by IUCN. The species used to be much more widespread and reached as far northward as Northeast India and Vietnam but two subspecies, the Vietnamese Sunda Rhinoceros, R. s. annamiticus, and the Indian Sunda Rhinoceros, R. s. inermis, are now considered extinct.
Despite all of Bullyland's imperfections, i.e. crudeness of sculpt and a paint that flakes off easily, I still like these two figures. The skin folds allow to identify these figures as Javan Rhinoceroses instead of Indian Rhinoceroses - the latter would have a skin fold on the neck that is interrupted at the withers and an additional fold at the thighs. Both figures lack this additional fold and both have a continuous neck fold that is not interrupted at the withers so they are accurate enough to be identified as Javan Rhinoceroses.

Edit 2017-02-04: Fixed broken image urls.

brontodocus

While I already posted the calf before, here are both adult and calf Bullyland Javan Rhinoceros, Rhinoceros sondaicus:

Walk-around here.

Jetoar

OkapiBoy

Nice, wish I could find this figure; been searching for years now without any luck.

Jetoar

Other images of this amazing animals  ^-^.

Schleich Black Rhino calf.

Editorila Sol90 White Rhino.

Lontic/Nayab Black Rhino.

Collecta White Rhino.

Papo Black Rhino.

AcroSauroTaurus

My Rhinoceros... only two so far, kinda humiliating. ::)

Figures:
Schleich Indian Rhinoceros (retired)
Schleich male Black Rhinoceros
I am the Dinosaur King!

postsaurischian

PNSO Family Zoo No.03 ~ White Rhinoceros

Jetoar

I think I should included my Stephanorhinus as species too  ^-^.

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

Jetoar

Remember this friends ^-^.

Narrow-nosed Rhinoceros (Stephanorinus hemitoechus). Scale 1:20. 5 inchs/ 12,7cm =  40$/ 37€

brontodocus

CetaceanFan

brontodocus

Walk-around images of tiptoi Black Rhino are visible again. :)

brontodocus

Bullyland "Deluxe" Black Rhino & calf images are back. :)