News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fading Giants: Rhinos (family Rhinocerotidae)

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 24, 2012, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Wonderful collection of  rhinos  ^-^ very impressive  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Walk-around of the retired Bullyland Animal World "Deluxe" Hook-lipped Rhinoceros or Black Rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis (Linnaeus, 1758); adult and calf. The adult is one of very few rhinoceros figures that are actually about 1:20 scale. Its snout-vent length is approx. 145 mm plus 42 mm tail, shoulder height is 77 mm and total height at the ears 93 mm, so the scale would be approx. 1:19 - 1:23. The calf is 82 mm snout-vent length plus 23 mm tail length and has a shoulder height of 44 mm. The human figure (from Accoutrements "Horrified B-Movie Victims" playset) is approx. 1:20 - 1:22.5 scale. The adult Hook-lipped Rhinoceros figure is impressive but it has some flaws, too, the head is held very high which is - while not impossible - a bit higher than usually seen in real rhinos and the skin folds at the upper arm are a bit weakly pronounced. On the other hand the overall skin texture could have been a good deal smoother.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Fukuiraptor

What beautiful figures they are!  Thanks for sharing!

Jetoar

Thanks for sharing friend, Bullyland have done a great work with these figures  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Fukuiraptor & Jetoar! :) What I would really like to see in the future would be one of those specimens with a spectacular, more horizontal horn. However, product safety might not allow that.

OkapiBoy

sauroid

very nice indian rhinos Okapiboy

let me add this Britains indian rhino

(still looks superior after all these years)

Fukuiraptor

Great figure, sauroid!  What is the size of this rhino?  You know I am fond of Britains animal figures ;)

sauroid

thanks Fukuiraptor. it's in scale with other indian rhinos from the current brands. :)

Weaselfan93

this rhino is incredible and probably the best rhino in production. this is one of the only three wildlife wonders models I own. I really wish that there was a white or black rhino in the vanishing wild series.

OkapiBoy

Ah, the long wait paid off! Finally, a beautiful figure of the rare Sumatran Rhino! :)
[
Beautiful, eh? Figure by the very talented Joan Milelire of course!  :)

Jetoar

brontodocus

Joan Milelire did a phantastic job on this one! ^-^

OkapiBoy

Some extinct rhinos... to complete the history  :D

Jetoar

You need only the Papo Woolly Rhino for a full collection  ^-^.

brontodocus

Oh, wow! :) Malcolm's Paraceratherium, Missing Links Woolly Rhino, RareBreed Elasmotherium, and Joan Milelire's Sumatran Rhino! :o These are all so wonderful.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brontodocus on February 04, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
Thanks, Ana! :) I was very impressed by the detail of the rhino myself. I think both this one and the WS Wildlife White Rhino are excellent. How nice would it be if they also included a Black, Javan, and Sumatran Rhino, eventually! :)
The others would be cool, but a Sumatran Rhino would be amazing :)! Might it be time to give Safari one more suggestion? ;D
"We predators have long ruled the wild Earth while abiding the rules of nature. Under our rule, landscapes remain fertile. Under YOUR rule, nothing lasts long."
-Mauricio Anton

MartinH

KaraWildsong42

Very nice figure! The pebbly skin and joints of its body are very well detailed. The face is nice too, I like the hint of a smile! :)
'O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure!  [...] – and I mean a real collector, a collector as he ought to be – ownership is the most intimate relationship that one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who lives in them.' - Walter Benjamin

Dragonwolf

I have this rhino. It looks great next to the Safari black and Indian rhinos.

Whereas the Black Rhino displays an upright stance, the White Rhino has a hunched down posture. It's amazing how these similar species developed different ways to feed in order to avoid competition. While the Black Rhino uses its hooked upper lip to browse on leaves, the White Rhino, with its wide lip, grazes on grasses and low lying shrubs.

Nice to see the differences between the rhino species. Glad to see these Rhinos made together as models.