News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Bryozoan

Started by stemturtle, July 06, 2014, 10:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Bryozoan

If you are interested in weird animals, this photo is for you. I am not aware of a toy moss animal, phylum Ectoprocta. 
The photo is of a live colony lifted out of a lake in Minnesota along the shoreline.  The colony was attached to the stem of a shrub.
The gelatinous matrix is about the size of a grapefruit.  Most bryozoan species are marine.

stargatedalek

we get some of the marine forms here, invasive too

could certainly make for an interesting piece
and it fits so many settings, it could be scenery, invasive species awareness, etc.

brontodocus

Brilliant idea for a thread, stemturtle! :) I believe sessile, colonial animals with individuals often less than a millimeter in diameter are too obscure for most manufacturers (but thinking about what Japanese brands sometimes do, there may be a chance to see a bryozoan figure, eventually). Oh, and of course I should mention one of the most famous bryozoan fossils, the "Hamburger Bryozoenchor" which would translate into "bryozoan choir of Hamburg" (from the late cretaceous):

stemturtle

Ordovician Bryozoan Fossils

Thanks for your replies, stargatedalek and brontodocus. 
I appreciate the amusing photo of the "Bryozoan choir of Hamburg."

The photo above shows fossil bryozoans found in Minnesota.
These fossils motivated my interest in the living creatures.

stargatedalek

there is so much variety amongst colony formations ^-^

Newt

I think the live one is Pectinatella magnifica.  Senescent colonies wash up on the shores of my local reservoir every fall- sometimes a foot long.  I've never found a live one in situ.

My favorite fossil bryozoan is Archimedes:

http://www.indiana9fossils.com/Bryozoa/Illinois/11-20/lg10a.JPG

widukind

Very interesting, i also have a collection of fossils  :)

stemturtle

Quote from: Newt on July 07, 2014, 04:29:25 PM
I think the live one is Pectinatella magnifica.  Senescent colonies wash up on the shores of my local reservoir every fall- sometimes a foot long.  I've never found a live one in situ. ...

Thanks for your magnificent identification, Newt.
Pectinatella magnifica has been reported in Minnesota.

More info: http://eol.org/pages/601031/overview