News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Smithsonian Collection Centipede and Scarab Beetle from 1997

Started by Weaselfan93, May 02, 2014, 01:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaselfan93

Friends, recently I was very lucky to add not one but four of my missing Smithsonian arthropod figures to my collection! two of them were at the top of my safari ltd wishlist. all were in new condition with tag and at a reasonable price. I now have almost the entire series of top quality 2:1 scale insects. I am only missing the flea, dragonfly, monarch butterfly and tarantula. the other 13 models are proudly on display in my room. here are two of my favorites from the best insect series of all time  :)
Giant Centipede

Scarab Beetle

sbell

I love that centipede, and still curse that I didn't pick one up 10 years ago from a store's discount table...nice find.

bmathison1972

A lot of the collection can be found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFARI-LTD-SMITHSONIAN-COLLECTION-EDUCATIONAL-DISPLAY-STAND-WITH-INSECTS-/351058330114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bcb50202

But, it is not complete and several of these (tarantula, dragonfly, monarch) are actually Hidden Kingdom figures. I really need to find that monarch larva!

Weaselfan93

bmathison1972

Thanks! Just bought it (and the morpho, which I hope is not the same figure as the Hidden Kingdom model).

widukind

brontodocus

Congrats, those are wonderful. 8) Argh, I still haven't got the scolopender... :'( Although I'm not 100% sure since there are so many similar species, the beetle may be representing Coprophanaeus ensifer (formerly Phanaeus ensifer), quite a giant dung beetle capable of reaching 60+ mm length. Or what does it say on the tag?
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 02, 2014, 02:34:16 AM
A lot of the collection can be found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFARI-LTD-SMITHSONIAN-COLLECTION-EDUCATIONAL-DISPLAY-STAND-WITH-INSECTS-/351058330114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bcb50202

But, it is not complete and several of these (tarantula, dragonfly, monarch) are actually Hidden Kingdom figures. I really need to find that monarch larva!
I'm not sure, there is also a genuine Smithsonian Collection Dragonfly which is bigger than the Hidden Kingdom version at nearly 200 mm wing span. It could be that one. Here's a photo of mine:

And the tarantula looks like the Smithsonian one, too. Too bad the figures in the auction seem to be glued onto the mountain. :-\

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 02, 2014, 02:59:24 AM
Thanks! Just bought it (and the morpho, which I hope is not the same figure as the Hidden Kingdom model).
The photo from this Nature Store shop is about the same angle as mine (which is the original Smithsonian version):

So it looks like you'll be getting the real thing!  :)

Now I have to find out if the shop ships internationally. Keep your fingers crossed. :) If not, I hope someone in the U.S. can help me out getting figures from there (I could offer acquiring Bullyland or other stuff that's easier to get in Germany in return).

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures