News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Brazilian biologist wants advice!

Started by DiegoMoura, April 21, 2018, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiegoMoura

Hey!

I'm Diego, I'm 23 yo and I'm a biologist (getting my masters' degree in ecology, so pretty much obssessed with animals) from Brazil! I collect brazilian and african animal figures. It is really hard to find brazilian animals and no big brand sells any of them here in Brazil, which is crazy. Anyway, I've recently posted my collection here (sorted by ecoregions and it looks great, check it out! http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2252.0;topicseen ) and I want to find more brazilian animals! Do you know any figure from animal brand? I've checked most from Papo, Safari, Schleich, but I don't know much about japanese ones.

Thank you!

Special requests: Armadillos, Coatis, Spider and capuchin monkey, tamarins, Rhea, Amazonian River dolphin, Green parrots (not macaws), Giant River otter, peccary.

bmathison1972

In 2017 Bullyland made the Brazilian white-kneed tarantula, Acanthoscurria geniculata.

upload image

Badger

Quote from: DiegoMoura on April 21, 2018, 11:59:36 PM
Special requests: Armadillos, Coatis, Spider and capuchin monkey, tamarins, Rhea, Amazonian River dolphin, Green parrots (not macaws), Giant River otter, peccary.

For Spider Monkeys, there is the Safari Ltd Spider Monkey, which is good but a bit generic.

For Tamarins, this year Papo is releasing a Golden Lion Tamarin. There is also a Safari Ltd Golden Lion Tamarin, but I think it is discontinued, so be prepared to dish out a lot on it.

The Safari Ltd version is also out of scale with many of the figures in your display, if that matters to you.

For Peccaries, I would definitely recommend the Safari Ltd Peccary. It is pretty clearly a Collared Peccary (which is, to my knowledge, a fairly widespread species in Brazil), and it is adequately small for your diorama.

I don't know of any figures (that are easily avaliable) of Armadillos (:(), Coatis, Capuchins, Rheas, Amazonian River Dolphins, Green non-macaw parrots (Safari does make one, but it isn't based on a Brazilian species) or Giant River Otters, but I do wish many of these were made.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

bmathison1972

Safari also produced a squirrel monkey in 2017. It's one of their Incredible Creatures so it might be on the larger size.

Halichoeres

Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

DiegoMoura

Thank you all!

Yeah, the Squirrel monkey, peccary, spider monkey and green parrot are on my wishlist! It's hard to deliver them to Brazil, it's better if I wait until some friend of mine travel to the US!

I do have a problem if the animals don't match in size :( but I can always turn some of them into cubs lol

Thanks again! xx

Halichoeres

I didn't think of it before, but if you are interested in fishes, there are several Brazilian natives and even endemics. Osteoglossum arowanas are made by at least 4 companies, there are a few tetras, lots of piranhas, some Corydoras catfish. No doubt there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Also, both Yujin and Kaiyodo have made figures of the mata mata turtle.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

sbell

There is this small coati. It shows up in various small sets, although I can't recall the main source.

stemturtle

Quote from: sbell on April 26, 2018, 04:04:45 AM
There is this small coati. It shows up in various small sets, although I can't recall the main source.

The coati is manufactured by Nayab, but also sold for Wild Republic.

A set of 12 rainforest animals looks like a coati is included:
sold on Amazon.