News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Chondricthyans

Started by sbell, December 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

I can't believe I missed that shark!

And it seems ray vss skate causes a lot of issue for many companies--I think because skates are easier (thick tails) but stingrays are more familiar.

Speaking of which, last year was quite the year for cownose rays from Safari (L-R IC, Sea life & GLM lines). Counting the VC toob, that was 4 myliobatids in one season!

And just because it also got missed from the series, Sea Life Manta Ray:

And since I'm on a RAY ROLL:

Monterey Bay Big Eye Thresher shark:

MB Sawfish:

IC Blue-spotted stingray (that looks like one! More likely to be Taeniura)

Jetoar

A lot of images of sharks and rays. With this I coul do a  Santa Claus gift list  ^-^
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

I remember how puzzled I was when the Cownose Ray was announced as IC and WS Sealife! I finally ended up getting both, too, but the WS Sealife was just shortly ago. They are both excellent! :) I just found a store in Germany that sells individual Good Luck Minis (otherwise they are hard to get here, unless you buy a whole box). The IC Blue-spotted stingray is one of the best ray figures I've seen. And the colour pattern matches perfectly, Taeniura lymma has a longitudinal blue stripe along the tail. That's why it's been named Taeniura obviously.

Some time ago I bought this one from a fellow DTF member (looks a little funny from the front):

Squatina cf. californica Ayres, 1859; Pacific Angelshark (Squatiniformes: Squatinidae). PlayVisions. Length 155 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:10.

A little later I got the small PV sharks, these are not really better than the similar sized K&M figures but you can't have enough horn sharks and angel sharks!

And this time it's a Zebra Bullhead Shark, Heterodontus zebra. The rest is, well... :-\

sbell

I would say the PV is better than the K&M set, but the pain jobs are still kind of poor.  The Angel shark is definitely the highlight in this one.  And I remember that large angel shark--I asked for it too late!

But at least I got the MB Thresher shark when it came available from someone.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 11:45:38 AM
I remember how puzzled I was when the Cownose Ray was announced as IC and WS Sealife! I finally ended up getting both, too, but the WS Sealife was just shortly ago. They are both excellent! :) I just found a store in Germany that sells individual Good Luck Minis (otherwise they are hard to get here, unless you buy a whole box). The IC Blue-spotted stingray is one of the best ray figures I've seen. And the colour pattern matches perfectly, Taeniura lymma has a longitudinal blue stripe along the tail. That's why it's been named Taeniura obviously.

Some time ago I bought this one from a fellow DTF member (looks a little funny from the front):

Squatina cf. californica Ayres, 1859; Pacific Angelshark (Squatiniformes: Squatinidae). PlayVisions. Length 155 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:10.

A little later I got the small PV sharks, these are not really better than the similar sized K&M figures but you can't have enough horn sharks and angel sharks!

And this time it's a Zebra Bullhead Shark, Heterodontus zebra. The rest is, well... :-\

Oooooh cool angelshark and tiny sharks. My favorite is the tiny whit shark. Thanks for share friend  ;).

sbell

And because I was on a ray roll before, a few freshwater friends!

The potamotrygonidae is so ignored, yet they have such beautiful patterns.  These ones are ceramics; there are three different colours but I was only able to get 2:

Made by Klima:
Tiger river ray Potamotrygon tigrina

Spotted river ray Potamotrygon motoro

The other one is sort of P.hystrix-like.

The only other freshwater ray figure I know of is (of course) from Japan--I saw them on JAUCE briefly, but missed out.  It was a set of aquarium-type pets that were apparently giveaways from Hikari (a fish food maker).  It was a P. henlei or P. leopoldi (black with light spots).

The others were other fish and such--and I curse that I didn't get it, if just for the ray.  If anyone ever happens to come across one (well, 2, since you'd probably want one too) PLEASE let me know.

brontodocus

Yay, and I thought freshwater rays were virtually nonexistent as figures... although, I recall there's a Colorata Himantura of some sort, but I don't know if that's one of those that go into rivers. Hmmm, I never heard of that Hikari set, I guess I would remember if I had seen it so I may be of little help, at least for now, but who knows...

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 06:51:42 PM
Yay, and I thought freshwater rays were virtually nonexistent as figures... although, I recall there's a Colorata Himantura of some sort, but I don't know if that's one of those that go into rivers. Hmmm, I never heard of that Hikari set, I guess I would remember if I had seen it so I may be of little help, at least for now, but who knows...

The Colorata is a leopard whipray, Himantura uarnak. Apparently they will go into freshwater.

And since we've mentioned Colorata:

Sharks of the World (original set--many of these were doubled in the box, although I traded several of the doubles away):

From the top:
Manta Ray, Whale shark, Great white shark, Tiger shark, Shark Ray (=bowmouth guitarfish), Leopard whipray, Spotted eagle ray, Scalloped hammerhead, Blue shark, Sand tiger shark, Blacktip Reef shark, Japanese bullhead shark

Sharks DX Deluxe box set:

Top to bottom, left to right: Whale shark, Basking sharkMegamouth shark, Great white shark, Bull shark, Tiger shark, Frilled shark, Cookie-cutter shark, Goblin shark
These ones are neat--even in the small photos, you can tell that some of these even have a slight dermal-denticle skin texture (it's especially prominent in the mid-water shark figures)!

And finally making a holocephalan appearance, from the Deep Sea Fishes set:

Silver (or Ghost) Chimaera.

I do not have the big Deluxe Great White or Manta though, so someone else will have to dig those out. And maybe someday we'll get a Colorata Rays box! Could you imagine a butterfly ray!?

brontodocus

Yes, the textures of the DX sharks are very nice and make the figures appear less glossy. And there's the Himantura! I might still end up getting the older set. I would love to see a butterfly ray in toy form, their body shape is so weird! :)

Jetoar

DX sharks are very nice. I like little figures. Colorata make cool figures.

Varanus

Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM
Lantern shark

Looking at this shark again, is it possibly a Bramble Shark?

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 11, 2012, 11:58:30 PM
Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM
Lantern shark

Looking at this shark again, is it possibly a Bramble Shark?

It's of course hard to say, but the mouth is positioned very anteriorly on the little figure, and the spots appear to be based on the photophores seen in deep sea sharks.

brontodocus

I'd agree, it's more likely an etmopterid. I might grab out my Princeton Field Guide (Compagno, not GSP ;D) and check if it's possible to go any further than family or genus level (although I doubt it, there are many etmopterid species). The enlarged denticles of the Bramble Shark would be much more irregularly distributed. The chocolate brown colour also speaks for a lanternshark.

Varanus

Looking a third time, I agree; the eyes also look way to big to be bramble. :)

Here's a new one:

A curious little Zebra Shark figure with no labeling.  The large hole on its belly suggests it's meant to be a pencil topper.

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 12, 2012, 12:58:10 AM
Looking a third time, I agree; the eyes also look way to big to be bramble. :)

Here's a new one:

A curious little Zebra Shark figure with no labeling.  The large hole on its belly suggests it's meant to be a pencil topper.

I had one of those so very long ago! The aquarium store I worked at sold them (it was a set of sharks).

Jetoar

Beautiful zebra shark. he is tiny and cute  ;).

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on December 12, 2012, 09:22:12 AM

It's about the same size as the PV or toob sharks.

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 12, 2012, 01:13:06 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on December 12, 2012, 09:22:12 AM

It's about the same size as the PV or toob sharks.

I like small figures of sharks because we can use different size to create some dioramas.

postsaurischian

:)  Kaiyodo Enoshima & Shinagawa Aquarium:

Blacktip Reef Shark

Whale Shark

Sand Tiger Shark

Ana

Great collections everyone and I love the way these figures are shown in Your photos, thank You for sharing :D

I love Kaiyodo (I think Kaiyodo bottle cup?)  Whale shark, what an amazing figure!!  8)  :D