News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Need help identifying this toy horse

Started by mermaidgrey, April 14, 2014, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mermaidgrey

Hello :)
Searching through some old childhood toys, I came across this horse. The only markings on it say "©v.i.96 china" I don't know what v.i stands for (or mabe it's v.1?) I know I have two others similar, but I can only find this one at the moment. One of the others is exactly the same mold, but in brown. The other is a larger horse (presumably the mother of this grey one) and has the same colouring as in the picture. I thin those two came in a set.
I seem to remember that they came with accessories, probably some jumps, a brush and some hair clips to style their manes. They were aimed at young girls, much like my little pony and are from the 90s. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an advert for them on tv when I was little, so I think it's from a specific line of toys, rather than just a miscellaneous pony. (although I could be wrong.)
Any ideas?

AnimalToyForum

Could it be a date? V=5 in Roman numerals.

mermaidgrey

Quote from: animaltoyforum on April 14, 2014, 05:56:22 PM
Could it be a date? V=5 in Roman numerals.

That's a possibility. I hadn't though of that :) It's a shame it doesn't have any manufacturers or brand name on it though, as I'm not sure how to go about identifying it just by date.

KaraWildsong42

I remember these!!! I'm pretty sure what you have there are Grand Champions, or at least, one of the earlier forms when Empire still owned them. I could be wrong, but they look similar to the ones I had.
'O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure!  [...] – and I mean a real collector, a collector as he ought to be – ownership is the most intimate relationship that one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who lives in them.' - Walter Benjamin

mermaidgrey

Quote from: KaraWildsong42 on April 15, 2014, 04:52:50 PM
I remember these!!! I'm pretty sure what you have there are Grand Champions, or at least, one of the earlier forms when Empire still owned them. I could be wrong, but they look similar to the ones I had.

Yes! I think you must be right :) I just googled them and saw several that look very similar to mine. I even found it's original little coat yesterday and it was the same style as the ones on a lot of images I saw, so that must be it. Thanks so much! :D I'm thinking that mine might be a knock off version though, as most of the little coats seem to have the Grand Champions logo on it with velcro at the front, and mine is blank with no velcro closure. Possible it's just an older style, but it would also explain why it doesn't have any brand name on it. Still just as cute either way :) Thanks for the help.