Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Pelecaniformes - Herons, Ibises, Spoonbills, Pelicans, Shoebill and Hamerkop

Started by brontodocus, February 02, 2014, 05:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widukind

pelicans (Nayab, K&M, AAA, Elastolin, Schleich, S&N, Safari Ltd, unknown)

Storks (shoebill =Phat, Marabus= Starlux, Noahs Pals, Lineol, oriental stork by Kaiyodo, Jabiru= Yowies UK and white stork unknown and flying Nayab)

Cranes, Heron, Ibisses..... (K&M, Starlux, Bandai, Kaiyodo, Bullyland, Nayab, CollectA, Dollhouse Miniatures, handmade, Safari Ltd, Elastolin, unknown)

Margarine birds

vintage Hong Kong and Fanta water birds

Eikoh shoebill

Kaiyodo spoonbill

Papo Flamingo and Marabou

Starlux and Vitacup

Some figurines are wrong here i know. But they are only copied from STS water birds

postsaurischian

Wow! That's a lot. I like especially the monochrome oldies :).

I know birds' taxonomy is very complicated (and under constant change). I had planned to do other threads for cranes or flamingos or storks, but first I have to learn about their orders and families ... and as you wrote, this will take some time. But we should make time for that.
It would also be nice (and kind of important) to name the figures.

postsaurischian

Another Pelican by Schleich (with its mouth closed)

postsaurischian

Sorry, triple post :-[ ;D.

@ widukind: It would be cool if you could erase your Flamingo pictures here
                    and put it there instead: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2056.0  :)

AnimalToyForum

QuoteI wish CollectA would also make one.

@postsaurischian Your wish came true. :P

AnimalToyForum

This is on my wants list. Especially because one of the type specimens (cotype) of B. rex is on display in the museum where I work. 8)

postsaurischian

^-^  Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum - Wild Rush I (Africa)

Balaeniceps rex ~ Shoebill

next to the Unique Animal Zoo figure and a 1:20 human scale figure

postsaurischian

Quote from: animaltoyforum on August 21, 2018, 10:08:52 PM
QuoteI wish CollectA would also make one.

@postsaurischian Your wish came true. :P

You're right ;D . And we got another new one by Kaiyodo as well!

Another wish was that after Mandageria and Tiktaalik I'd love to see an Acanthostega from Paleozoo.
Now I just got a message from Bruce saying that he expects to be working on one early in the new year :D . Life can be good.

Another thing: Looking at the pics above I now see why Photobucket is showing them again.
They're using my pictures for advertising now :P .

bmathison1972

Walk-around of the black-faced spoonbill, Platalea minor Temminck et Schlegel, 1849, by CollectA, Wild Life Collection, 2010. This endangered bird occurs in coastal areas of East Asia, including isolated areas of North Korea, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, mainland China, and Vietnam.

The figure stands 8.5 cm, making it 1:8-1:15 is size. It is a dynamic figure with a tree-stump base (personally, as many of you know, I like habitat-style bases). This base is clearly to help the figure stand. Its wings are partially opened as if drying itself or about to take off (or maybe having just landed).

bmathison1972

Isidro

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 21, 2017, 08:41:49 PM
This thread is about the order of these medium-sized and large waterbirds that have feet with all four toes webbed.

Medium-sized and large waterbirds that have feet with all four toes webbed = Pelecaniformes sensu classico (or sensu logic), or what I would call the true Pelecaniformes. So, families Phaetontidae, Pelecanidae, Sulidae, Phalacrocoracidae, Anhingidae and Fregatidae. They also share a gular sac and other features typical of this order.

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 21, 2017, 08:41:49 PM-  Ardeidae (herons)
-  Threskiornithidae (ibises and spoonbills)
-  Scopidae (Hamerkop)
-  Pelecanidae (pelicans)
-  Balaenicipitidae (Shoebill)

These are the Pelecaniformes sensu molecular "taxonomy", blindly accepted by every official source now, but not by me certainly! None of them have webbed feet except the Pelecanidae ;) with the remaining families falling in order Ciconiiformes according to classic or logic taxonomy done and accepted by exhaustive science before the invention of the molecular religion :)

Isidro

Quote from: widukind on March 22, 2017, 01:13:21 PM
Cranes, Heron, Ibisses..... (K&M, Starlux, Bandai, Kaiyodo, Bullyland, Nayab, CollectA, Dollhouse Miniatures, handmade, Safari Ltd, Elastolin, unknown)

Some wonderful things here! What are the brands of this fabulous night-heron, the Southern bald ibis!!! (I was totally unaware of this species being made into figurine) and the hooded crane?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on March 14, 2019, 01:47:16 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on March 21, 2017, 08:41:49 PM
This thread is about the order of these medium-sized and large waterbirds that have feet with all four toes webbed.

Medium-sized and large waterbirds that have feet with all four toes webbed = Pelecaniformes sensu classico (or sensu logic), or what I would call the true Pelecaniformes. So, families Phaetontidae, Pelecanidae, Sulidae, Phalacrocoracidae, Anhingidae and Fregatidae. They also share a gular sac and other features typical of this order.

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 21, 2017, 08:41:49 PM-  Ardeidae (herons)
-  Threskiornithidae (ibises and spoonbills)
-  Scopidae (Hamerkop)
-  Pelecanidae (pelicans)
-  Balaenicipitidae (Shoebill)

These are the Pelecaniformes sensu molecular "taxonomy", blindly accepted by every official source now, but not by me certainly! None of them have webbed feet except the Pelecanidae ;) with the remaining families falling in order Ciconiiformes according to classic or logic taxonomy done and accepted by exhaustive science before the invention of the molecular religion :)

While I am a classic morphologist, I can appreciate molecular taxonomy. Neither morphology nor molecular should be 'blindly' supported alone. And I am a firm believer that a 'genotype' should have a corresponding 'phenotype'. In this case, webbed feet are clearly not a monophyletic trait, as they are seen in the ducks and geese as well. The gular sac is more supportive then webbed feet.

Isidro

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 14, 2019, 02:17:35 PM
While I am a classic morphologist, I can appreciate molecular taxonomy. Neither morphology nor molecular should be 'blindly' supported alone.

Same for me. I consider molecular phylogeny as one more of the useful traits that help to define a taxon - together with morphology, biochemistry, biogeography or even ethology, phenology, etc. If I talked about blind acceptance is because the modern taxonomy (not just for birds, but for everything) consist in accept exclusively molecular one (that can be done by any person with informatic knowledge with a program for making cladograms with gene sequences, so no need of scientific knowledge for that) with total exclusion of any other traits :P

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 14, 2019, 02:17:35 PMIn this case, webbed feet are clearly not a monophyletic trait, as they are seen in the ducks and geese as well. The gular sac is more supportive then webbed feet.

Read again my friend :) We're not talking about just webbed feet. We're talkin about all four toes webbed. This is a trait shared by all the Pelecaniformes sensu classico (so, including "Phaetontiformes" and "Suliformes") and not with any other bird with webbed feet, all of which have only three toes webbed, with the posterior toe not webbed.
And of course, the "modern taxonomy" Pelecaniformes (so: pelicans plus all the "classic taxonomy" Ciconiiiformes except the Ciconiidae) don't have even webbed feet, except for the pelicans.

In the images of this thread I see also a lot of birds that never has been considered Pelecaniformes under none taxonomic viewpont, such as ducks, cranes and even a kookaburra...

bmathison1972

Oh sorry missed the 'four' part LOL

with regards to other birds that are not Pelicaniformes, some people just cross-post group images of their birds, and the image may contain Pelicaniformes and non-Pelicaniformes (I know widukind often does group shots that are not necessarily phylogenically related).  Those might be older images for some other group purpose (such as a SUY on STS). While it would be nice if people actually took the time to select the figures for the specific taxa, sometimes it's easier to just reuse older images that may contain other taxa.

widukind

Quote from: Isidro on March 14, 2019, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: widukind on March 22, 2017, 01:13:21 PM

Some wonderful things here! What are the brands of this fabulous night-heron, the Southern bald ibis!!! (I was totally unaware of this species being made into figurine) and the hooded crane?

Hooded crane and night heron are made by Kaiyodo. The ibis is a homemade figure (i got it from a STS member long long time ago)

Isidro

Ahhhh, that explain why is not in the Toy Animal Wiki! :D
Thanks for the reply! I love this homemade Southern Bald Ibis :)

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on March 20, 2019, 08:53:03 PM
Which company made the spoonbill in the back (left)?

the larger one with its head down and brown between its legs? That's the older version of the CollectA black-faced spoonbill; I illustrated the more recent one above.

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.