Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Sbell collection and display--now on the ATF as well!

Started by sbell, January 14, 2014, 03:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on March 16, 2018, 12:46:13 PM
And the bottom half...it's a marine bonanza! All sharks, larger fish, and marine reptiles!

As a kid, I would never have believed there would be this many shark toys...I remember when such a thing was pretty much an impossibility.

@sbell anymore pics of that angelshark in different angles and any potential IDs?

sbell

I'll get some photos in a few days... getting photos on a forum is such a hassle.

As for ID, they're not identified in any way so I'll have to see what I came up with

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 24, 2022, 09:21:03 AM

@sbell anymore pics of that angelshark in different angles and any potential IDs?

Okay, here are some photos @JimoAi but as for species, I'm not completely sure. I'm not familiar enough with them, but have to admit I haven't looked that closely.

A quick look, based on the grey background with only variable, brown spots, it might be closest to Squatina armata or S. nebulosa

(it's a boy!)

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 12:21:34 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 24, 2022, 09:21:03 AM

Okay, here are some photos @JimoAi but as for species, I'm not completely sure. I'm not familiar enough with them, but have to admit I haven't looked that closely.

A quick look, based on the grey background with only variable, brown spots, it might be closest to Squatina armata or S. nebulosa

(it's a boy!)

I'll try to track down the sculpt. Thanks

Just found out the underside looks too much like a ray

JimoAi

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 31, 2022, 12:25:05 AM
Looks to be a pacific angel shark

Could be. It's not always easy to be sure with Nayab figures; their sculpts and their colour choices can vary wildly from the real animals.

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 12:42:26 AM

Could be. It's not always easy to be sure with Nayab figures; their sculpts and their colour choices can vary wildly from the real animals.

Gills look too much like a guitarfish IMO

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 31, 2022, 02:31:56 AM

Yeah, the gills are on the underside.

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 02:32:40 AM

What I meant with ref to this pic. The gills of the figure extends to the pectoral fins like a guitarfish rather than an angelshark. One of the few times I wish a figure has seams, this case seperating the head from the pectoral fins Squatina-dumeril-04 (1).jpg

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 31, 2022, 04:17:05 AM

What I meant with ref to this pic. The gills of the figure extends to the pectoral fins like a guitarfish rather than an angelshark. One of the few times I wish a figure has seams, this case seperating the head from the pectoral fins Squatina-dumeril-04 (1).jpg

I see it now.

Most likely the best angel shark figure would be the Neko Works. Most of the line is hard to get, and it's no exception

https://www.hlj.com/angel-shark-nkws-21

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 04:23:13 AM

I see it now.

Most likely the best angel shark figure would be the Neko Works. Most of the line is hard to get, and it's no exception

Still trying to customize the nayab angel shark. Btw, are there any rare fish figures from kaiyodo that's really hard to get/expensive? Tryna chase those down now considering I have 213 species of marine life now and I still got space

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 31, 2022, 04:47:58 AM
Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 04:23:13 AM

I see it now.

Still trying to customize the nayab angel shark. Btw, are there any rare fish figures from kaiyodo that's really hard to get/expensive? Tryna chase those down now considering I have 213 species of marine life now and I still got space

Among the various capsule aquarium sets the archerfish, piranha and retail catfish are good ones that are hard to find.

The arapaima and Asian arowana are also nice.

In the more recent deepsea. Capsule Museum, the lancetfish is easily the best one

JimoAi

Some are too small for my tastes like the red tail. I have the bandai payara piranha. The archerfish I'll try to track down along the cowfish, emperor snapper,coffinfish and threadfin butterfly

Isidro

Many thanks for be the first person in the world to put online images of this angelshark that is in my wishlist since long ago. Until now the only public available image of it is that one by Widukind:

Now thanks to your update, I can substitute said image by one of yours in my wishlist thread: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2909.0

Many thanks for that :)

JimoAi

Would like to add that the furuta frogfish's quality is atrocious esp mine: the seams are really visible after putting the pieces together

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 31, 2022, 07:50:18 AM
Would like to add that the furuta frogfish's quality is atrocious esp mine: the seams are really visible after putting the pieces together

Yeah, the Futura ChocoEgg figures that were made after the association with Kaiyodo broke down aren't nearly as good!

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 01:20:24 PM

Yeah, the Futura ChocoEgg figures that were made after the association with Kaiyodo broke down aren't nearly as good!
Mine was destroyed a few hours back. Shame cuz the royal pleco is miles better than the frogfish

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on January 31, 2022, 01:25:26 PM
Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2022, 01:20:24 PM

Mine was destroyed a few hours back. Shame cuz the royal pleco is miles better than the frogfish

That is true, there are still some great, well done figures in the late sets. The marine iguanas for example

JimoAi

How bigs the kaiyodo electric eel when stretched out?

sbell