News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Sbell collection and display--now on the ATF as well!

Started by sbell, January 14, 2014, 03:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Hi Everybody!

This thread was started at the DTF but I know there aremmembers here that aren't there--and if I toook the time to take these pictures and babble about them, I might as well make sure everyone gets a chance to witness my insanity ;D

Since the beginning of the Dino Toy forum, I have moved several times...and in at least some of thsoe places, I have had homes that allowed me to get furniture to display as much of my collection as possible.

And I've done it again! Really, I've been here for 6 months, but I've fussed for a while with the collection and display, trying to make things fit well. And then, within two years, I will likely have too much again and will need more space...

But for now, it's all good!  I am obsessed with trying to put glass doors over everything, because as anyone else with (literally) thousands of small figures can attest, dusting is an awful activity. Thankfully, Ikea complied with a lovely series called BestA, with big, wide glass doors that fit perfectly (and actually sit away from the shelves, allowing the occasional figure to stick out a little.

Even better--they come in a 8" wide shelf as well as the usual wide book shelf, and the doors still fit, and they can be wall mounted. As will be seen below (I know, show pictures already  ::)) there is a handy ledge in the room that I could use as a support (but I still wall-mounted). I highly recommend the system if you can get it.

The big book cases are a different style--I got them 6 years and they are solid wood (not the usual MDF) but the line is discontinued. If I didn't have them, I'd have totally gotten the full size Besta cases for larger figures. Apparently, money grows on trees... :P

Anyway, pictures:

Big bookcases:

View from the door (to the left of the wood cases):

Complete with desk and storage stuff that someday will get cleaned out...

Main wall of cabinets (note that these ones also have top extensions on them, which also have doors that fit! Brilliant series, I have to say):
One the left

One the right

Window wall (no extensions--yet!)
Left of window:

Right of Window:

So there is the majority. At some point, I'll get motivated and do close ups of various shelves. And also make the one wall worth picturing (it just has a cabinet to hold store stock, and a blank wall. Nothing to see there).

But still, probably my most complete display room yet!

And I linked at the beginning if anyone needs to see the conversation there...

stemturtle

Wonderful display, Sbell. It's fun to see how you group figures
when there is a choice between taxonomy and manufacturer.

Congratulations on getting an Eocaecilia (razh00), fourth photo,
main wall of cabinets, second shelf from bottom right.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on January 14, 2014, 01:43:18 PM
Wonderful display, Sbell. It's fun to see how you group figures
when there is a choice between taxonomy and manufacturer.

Congratulations on getting an Eocaecilia (razh00), fourth photo,
main wall of cabinets, second shelf from bottom right.

It took me 3 orders to get that one--it kept getting rejected whenever I ordered it. It's too bad he hasn't made anything new for quite some time now.

brontodocus

Congrats, Sean, looks great, I especially like the doors with the narrow aluminium (is it aluminium?) frame! 8) I've just checked - BESTÃ… is also available in Germany (too bad all those roof pitches in our flat will make it still hard for me to find a proper solution for my collection).

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on January 14, 2014, 02:15:33 PM
Congrats, Sean, looks great, I especially like the doors with the narrow aluminium (is it aluminium?) frame! 8) I've just checked - BESTÃ… is also available in Germany (too bad all those roof pitches in our flat will make it still hard for me to find a proper solution for my collection).

It's a good line, and yes, the doors are Aluminum. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about slanted roofing! It's hard enough to fit that many shelves with just flat walls!

bmathison1972

Looks really nice! Now that I have my Billy system in place I will have to get some pics (still waiting for some acrylic raisers to I can do Lepidoptera--then I am done :).

FreshSphere

Beautiful display and amazing collection. I love the big dinosaurs :)

widukind

sbell

Hooray! I have finally gotten around to doing more close-ups of the shelves. I am not doing all of them at once. There'd be over 100 photos in one post! Ridiculous!

I will also be repeating at the DTF (maybe even STS. I took the pictures, I'm going to use them!). I will pretty much copy and paste because it's easier. I also won't be documenting every single figure in each picture, because that's crazy. Although I probably could from memory...I just don't want to prove that wrong!

First series of close ups:

SET 1
Dinotales Cabinet An entire cabinet dedicated solely to the 7.5 Regular Dinotales series. No magazine premiums, no Expos, etc. The only exception is the JP tour set, because I'm capricious that way, and also because this is the only shelf that was not significantly (or at all) reorganized. There is also no particular order to what is where, it was more about using the space well.

Whole cabinet:

Top shelf, left-to-right:

Second shelf from top, left-to-right:

Third shelf, left-to-right:

Bottom shelf, left-to-right:

SET 2
Mostly Kaiyodo & Other Japanese companies (Yujin, Bandai, Epoch, Toba Aquarium) figures shelf

Whole cabinet:

Top shelf. left-to-right:

Second shelf, left-to-right:

Third shelf, left-to-right:

Whole third shelf, demonstrating the display set-up:

Bottom shelf, left-to-right:

brontodocus

Wonderful! 8) Yes, the Dinotales are so brilliant they deserve a cabinet of their own. Wow, and so many lovely Bottlecap Aquarium figures.

widukind

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on November 04, 2014, 09:34:12 AM
Wonderful! 8) Yes, the Dinotales are so brilliant they deserve a cabinet of their own. Wow, and so many lovely Bottlecap Aquarium figures.

They are a new favorite of mine, but I will continue to be picky about them--there are way too many, and they can be way more expensive than is reasonable!

radioactive347

Amazing collection!

BlueKrono

I spy with my little eye... a Playvisons Gerrothorax. X.x
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 26, 2016, 01:04:19 PM

There is indeed. I had forgotten about this thread though...and most of the  shelves have changed...plus there are 3 more floor cases... :))

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow, thats a lot of figures! Have you ever run out of space?
I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

Quote from: sbell on December 26, 2016, 04:40:07 PM

There is indeed. I had forgotten about this thread though...and most of the  shelves have changed...plus there are 3 more floor cases... :))

If you'd ever be willing to part with it, I'd be happy to give you a good deal. :)
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 26, 2016, 06:57:41 PM
Wow, thats a lot of figures! Have you ever run out of space?

I already have, which is why I'm figuring out what to sell off...on top of things I already did sell.

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 26, 2016, 07:59:14 PM
Quote from: sbell on December 26, 2016, 04:40:07 PM

If you'd ever be willing to part with it, I'd be happy to give you a good deal. :)

It won't be the PV amphibians though--I sold the set once, for $100; and recently sold almost all of my PV figures.

But they have a permanent place in the shelves. ;)

sbell

Wow...haven't updated this in quite a while...but over the last few months, I have sold off a sizable part of my collection...but it still takes up lots of space. The good news is that everything fits nicely for now, and I finally reorganized the cabinets.

While I will eventually get close up photos here, I thought I'd share the photos of the cabinets overall for now...!

And I'm working from one corner clockwise. 3 of the 4 walls have something one them; one wall has a desk/photo centre and storage closet and is no fun at all!

East wall:

(the nerdy stuff shelf...!)

South wall:

West wall:

And in case people are wondering...there is not a real rhyme or reason to the organization. Some are shelves based on company, others on taxonomic themes, others are kind of random...

And already, we are planning to move the whole thing into a different room that sees more human activity so that the collection is more visible...so at some point I'll do this all over again! But until then, I will continue to add the photos of close ups of the shelves. Hopefully the move won't be for a while!