News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Searching for a photo of this figure [Ornate Horned Frog by Safari Ltd]

Started by majinite, June 23, 2013, 03:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majinite

I once owned a Safari figure that I believe was called an African Horned Toad, or something along those lines.  It resembled a Pacman Frog and was quite heavy.  I have been looking for a photo of it on the internet so that I can post it to forums in the hopes someone might have it for sale.  I've only seen one come up for auction on Ebay and I was outbid.  If anyone is familiar with this figure, please post a photo or link to website with photos.  Thanks!

sbell

I know the one--I bought it for a buddy of mine. 14 years ago.

I know he still has it--if I can get him to, I will get a photo of it from him. But he won't sell it; he got it from me as a "be one of my groomsmen" gifts. Just thought I'd put that in there now to avoid disappointment.

sbell

And a double post, now with photos!

Also, it's Safari number is 2599-29 (I'm assuming that means he still even has the tags!).

K907

Holy wow! I didn't know Safari Ltd released this figure.

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

sbell

Quote from: K907 on June 24, 2013, 05:42:50 AM

Did you read the part about how I gave it to him 14 years ago :o ;D? And I know it didn't last long (those weren't Safari's best years), so it may not appear in many lists, or even many collections.

AnimalToyForum

I just added some details to the topic title :)

Nice figure by the way. Would be good to add photos to the walk-around section, it's such a rarity, I bet folk would be very interested.;)

K907

Quote from: sbell on June 24, 2013, 05:59:25 AM

Did you read the part about how I gave it to him 14 years ago :o ;D? And I know it didn't last long (those weren't Safari's best years), so it may not appear in many lists, or even many collections.

Yes i did. I'm just surprised to know that Safari had figures that I didn't even know about like the Gila monster and crocodile shark.

sbell

Quote from: K907 on June 25, 2013, 01:55:33 AM
Quote from: sbell on June 24, 2013, 05:59:25 AM

Yes i did. I'm just surprised to know that Safari had figures that I didn't even know about like the Gila monster and crocodile shark.

I know, I'm just teasing. It's amazing to consider how many figures are long gone--did you ever see the full-size scolopendrid centipede? It was part of the Smithsonian Insect series--I remember seeing one not that long ago (well, 5 years ago) and for some reason (cost) passed it up (cost). They were quite expensive when they were new, but the price didn't come down much even then. To be honest, I don't even know what else was in the line--the Hidden Kingdom and Incredible Creatures series are kind of spiritual descendants, but they haven't done a terrifying centipede again (yet!?).

Nevermind, here's the whole line in a store that of course will never have more.

brontodocus

Aaaah! :o So far I've only seen a thumbnail-size photo of the Safari Ltd. Horned Frog. Now to find that one... :'(
Not 100% sure which species is represented, the red colours would suggest Ceratophrys ornata but the horns over the eyes and shape of the head are more reminiscent of C. cranwelli, both are often confused with each other, anyways.

sbell

I have just got one! As I had said, I gave my buddy one several years ago (in 1998) as a stand-up-at-my-wedding present. I saw him yesterday, and he gave it to me!

I will do more of a walk around in a different thread. One thing--if anyone can tell me the Item Number, that would be fantastic 8).

Jetoar

I dont know the reference number friend, sorry, it is the firts time that i have seen this figure :-\.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on February 17, 2014, 12:46:21 AM
I dont know the reference number friend, sorry, it is the firts time that i have seen this figure :-\.

As I mention in the just-posted walk-around, it was stamped on the bottom! 2599-29.

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on February 17, 2014, 12:57:28 AM
Quote from: Jetoar on February 17, 2014, 12:46:21 AM

As I mention in the just-posted walk-around, it was stamped on the bottom! 2599-29.

Cool then  ;).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures