News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Chondricthyans

Started by sbell, December 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of The Bullyland Animal World Blue-spotted Stingray, Neotrygon kuhlii (Müller & Henle, 1841). The figure is stamped "Rochen" which simply means "ray". Total length is approx. 163 mm and width of disk is 83 mm, so the scale is between 1:1.7 and 1:4.3. It's one of my Bullyland favourites and superficially a little similar to the Safari Ltd IC Blue-spotted Ray, which represents a different species, Taeniura lymma, though.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

I see this figure only in catalog images and I think it is an amazing figure. Congrats.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar & Ana! :) One of the figures I always wanted to have and somehow never bought - until very recently and I'm very happy I did, it instantly became one of my favourite Bullyland figurines. :)

brontodocus

Another 2013 marine animal figure by CollectA, here is the CollectA Sea Life Zebra Shark, Stegostoma fasciatum (Hermann, 1783). Total length is 120 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:14 and 1:20 (one source even gives a maximum of 3.54 m total length for S. fasciatum, so taking this into account the scale may be up to 1:29). The human figure (Minimen Andreas Köpke) is 1:20 scale. The shark figure is nearly identical in length to the 122 mm long Safari Ltd WS Sealife Zebra Shark but the CollectA figure shows the colour pattern of a mature adult while the Safari Ltd version represents a juvenile.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Wonderful and beautiful figure, but I think that they could do a words smaller  ^-^.

Jetoar

My Bullyland Blue-spotted Stingray that I bought yesterday  ^-^.

brontodocus

Jetoar

sbell

Reviving a thread time!

New sharks from Lontic (=Nayab)

EDIT--my photo isn't working. I'll get it here soon
RE_EDIT I think it works now!

It's one of two sets (I had to choose). This one has a zebra shark, wobbegon, frilled shark, whale shark, basking shark and hammerhead shark.

The other set is  megamouth, thresher, striped blue shark (well, look-alike--is there another requiem shark it could be? Shaped like blue shark, faint vertical bars like a tiger shark or something), angel shark, sawshark (really nice one) and a sixth--probably a white or other lamnid shark. I don't have any scale in there, but they are about 12-15cm long.

Jetoar

Wonderful sharks figures again  ^-^. I like all.

brontodocus

Yay, and an excellent choice of species! :) The wobbegong may be a little green but judging from the colour pattern it's apparently another Orectolobus maculatus, so the same species as the retired Schleich one!

sauroid

those Lontic sharks are very interesting. hope to get my hands on them soon.

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on October 13, 2013, 02:15:31 PM
those Lontic sharks are very interesting. hope to get my hands on them soon.

I'm trying to be patient about set two--the store I can get them at always gets in toys in advance of Christmas, then starts discounting as Christmas gets closer. So I am hoping to get the set for less--but of course lots of other people know the same thing, meaning that by the time the post-Christmas BIG sale comes up, there's almost nothing left.

I wish their dinosaur figures were worth purchasing. But the sharks will do (the back of the box even mentions a torpedo ray! But they don't have it at the store).

brontodocus

Recently, I had the chance to get my first Favorite Marine Life Desktop model. :) Unfortunately, the entire series is discontinued (although Favorite has released a new line now). Like the better known Favorite (or KinTo) dinosaur desktop models this one here is made of resin and comes with a painted wooden base. Most of the models are enlarged versions of the corresponding "Soft Model" series although there hasn't been a Manta Ray among the vinyl Favorites.

So here's the walk-around of the Marine Life Desktop Model No. FM-109 Giant Manta Ray, Manta birostris (Walbaum, 1792). Total length (mouth at midline to tip of tail) is 150 mm, width of disk is approx. 225 mm (measured along the curvature, not in direct line). So the resulting scale is approx. 1:17 - 1:40 (1/20 according to Favorite), very similar in size to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection Manta Ray by Safari Ltd. Human figures are approx. 1:23 - 1:27 scale (man from Safari Ltd People in Motion Toob) and approx. 1:32 scale (diver from Safari Ltd Coral Reef Toob). Obviously, the more delicate parts of resin figures are quite prone to breakage and that's probably why Favorite decided not to make the tail out of resin at all. That's a nail, believe it or not! ;D And quite a pointy one, too. Ouch!

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

It is so beautiful and the sculputure and dispaly are wonderful :o. Thanks for sharing friend.

brontodocus

Many thanks, Jetoar! :) Strangely, until quite recently I didn't even know the model existed since I thought all of those older Desktop Models would have their Soft Models counterpart. Unfortunately, there is no information available via Favorite's website anymore since the line is discontinued and does no longer appear on the site.

sbell

As I said, here again are the Lontic sharks, set 2!

As I suspected, the 6th is of course a Great White shark (in name--it's kind of the most basic of the figures).

The Megamouth shark (to the left) is of course the most unique of the figures--other than a few Japanese figures, I don't think one has ever been made. Reason enough to get this figures (until a surprise that I will mention below).

The mottled one is marked as a Mako Shark (probably a shortfin, judging by the fin). The mottling is a little odd--they are normally blue-ish, but the lines may be meant to indicate the effect of light underwater? I know that there are several images online that shoe this effect on the colour.

The thresher shark is neat (not as nice as the Monterey of course). Species-wise it's tough to say. Not a big eye, and given that commons are greenish and pelagics are blue-ish, likely the latter (if only because of the blue stripe--bigeyes are apparently brown!).

Next is a sawfish. It looks like most (again, good Monterey one out there, plus several Japanese ones, etc). But this one is labelled as a Pointed Sawfish (Anoxypristis) which is a first. Too bad they didn't quite get it right--the edge of the saw should be toothless near the skull. I suppose a quick fix could be made with a good, sharp knife...

And finally, a neat little Angel shark. Good luck on the species of this one--although it is labelled "Squatina" (just like the megamouth is labelled "Megachasma pelagios"). Probably the type species Squatina squatina, but then I don't think these are usually meant to be perfect species representations!

Overall, an excellent little set. I'd like to see them branch out even more, to the deep sea and lesser known sharks, but it's a good start! They might not be on par with Safari, but for the equivalent of $2 each, well worth it!

As someone who, as a kid, loved sharks and would have loved to find even one (I couldn't even find a great white!) it makes me happy to finally have a good selection of them in my shelves... ;D

Jetoar

Mako shark is my favorite of the set  ^-^.

brontodocus

A nice new Lontic set, congrats, sbell! :) Despite the colouration the Mako looks very good. I was wondering what could make the sawfish an Anocypristis cuspidata, since the rostrum isn't particularly narrow and the tooth count doesn't match (it seems the figure has 15 pairs). But the tail fin's lower lobe seems to be quite pronounced (can't be sure from that angle, though) which could support that it's a Pointed Sawfish. The thresher shark seems to be a bit generic, A. vulpinus and A. pelagicus would have shorter snouts, A. pelagicus has a smaller first dorsal fin, and A. superciliosus would have bigger eyes. The angel shark is a great addition to the set and looks great! 8)