News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Penguins

Started by ~The Mandarin~, June 09, 2013, 05:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~The Mandarin~

This mini diorama features the King penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) and the Gentoo penguin (Pygoscelis papua) from Nature Techni Colour - Kaiyukan Aquarium, Osaka collection. The King penguin stands at approximately 3.6cm and the Gentoo penguin at approximately 1.9cm, making this diorama at around 1:25 scale. I believe the Gentoo penguin in this setting was deliberately shrunken for perspective purposes and also to make the King penguin stand out.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Very nice mini diorama and lovely photos, The Mandarin! :) My only complaint about it is that the Gentoo Penguin is a bit too tiny compared to the King Penguin, actually Gentoo Penguins are quite big penguins, too.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Kaiyodo Aquatales Polyresin Aquatic animal figure collection Series 1 No. 004 Southern Rockhopper Penguin, Eudyptes chrysocome (Forster, 1781). Length is approx. 87 mm from tip of beak to end of tail so the scale is approx. 1:5 - 1:6. The figure shows a lot of feather detail and looks very dynamic in its underwater flight pose. Southern Rockhopper Penguins are distributed on islands off Argentina and Southern Chile, the Falkland Islands, and on subantarctic islands in the Indian (e.g. Kerguelen Islands) and West Pacific oceans (e.g. Auckland Islands). Despite a total population estimate of over 1.2 million pairs the species is in trouble and has declined by about a third over the past decades so IUCN considers the Southern Rockhopper Penguin "Vulnerable". The Aquatales Polyresin models have just been released in 2014 and Series 1 and 2 (the others haven't been released, yet) should be more or less easily available through Japanese sellers who ship internationally or via ebay.

I've added a comparison shot with the much smaller but likewise very detailed Southern Rockhopper Penguin from the Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Nankyoku set:

Edit 2017-02-04: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Takama

AnimalToyForum

The king penguin is lifting its toes up, sitting back on its rump. Is this something that penguins actually do?

Isidro

For sure they do while incubating the egg. I don't know if they do too in other situations.

These penguins have the perfect size for my collection!

AnimalToyForum

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

Advicot

Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Yowie Group Yellow-eyed Penguin