News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 07, 2012, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Huh, you're right @BlueKrono. My ebay app had a button icon right over the head of the gila in the closeup pic but clicking in it you can see. I wonder if its just a chinamal type model given the wicked teeth and open mouth like 80s and 90s toys.

I always wonder about lots like these though; when they're mostly castoff type figures (either cheap toys or in really poor condition) with maybe one or two common figures one could keep or trade with, and then one crazy gem mixed in... I am not an ebay seller but why don't people toss the obviously damaged or cheap items? Even if you don't recognize what something is (that is afterall how I usually obtain my rarities; waiting for one to come along selling by someone who doesn't realize what it is), why would you pass along the poorer quality figures?

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: K907 on April 21, 2024, 06:07:03 AM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on April 21, 2024, 02:22:33 AMI think the gila in that lot is the K&M rubber one.

I remember that Gila Monster (I got it from a surprise box from Archie McPhee back in 2001), I think it's from random toy line. 

Ha, you posted this as I was posting my reply! That pretty much confirms it for me, its a cheaper quality chinamal type model. Still, the body seems pretty nice to me, just the head puts me off.

I like some of Archie McPhee's stuff, once in a while they have nice little figures.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on April 21, 2024, 06:21:51 AMHuh, you're right @BlueKrono. My ebay app had a button icon right over the head of the gila in the closeup pic but clicking in it you can see. I wonder if its just a chinamal type model given the wicked teeth and open mouth like 80s and 90s toys.

I always wonder about lots like these though; when they're mostly castoff type figures (either cheap toys or in really poor condition) with maybe one or two common figures one could keep or trade with, and then one crazy gem mixed in... I am not an ebay seller but why don't people toss the obviously damaged or cheap items? Even if you don't recognize what something is (that is afterall how I usually obtain my rarities; waiting for one to come along selling by someone who doesn't realize what it is), why would you pass along the poorer quality figures?

I think you might be right about the late 80's chinamal. I have a couple lizards that are very similar in style. And to answer your last question I think it's simple: people don't know what they have, what's rare or not.  Most are probably parents getting rid of a bunch of their kids' toys and think another kid might like them.
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 21, 2024, 07:14:40 AM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on April 21, 2024, 06:21:51 AMHuh, you're right @BlueKrono. My ebay app had a button icon right over the head of the gila in the closeup pic but clicking in it you can see. I wonder if its just a chinamal type model given the wicked teeth and open mouth like 80s and 90s toys.

I think you might be right about the late 80's chinamal. I have a couple lizards that are very similar in style. And to answer your last question I think it's simple: people don't know what they have, what's rare or not.  Most are probably parents getting rid of a bunch of their kids' toys and think another kid might like them.

That's why it's important to look in the large random lots. Unless they're too expensive... there's a chance for good stuff mixed in!

But everything on eBay gets overpriced these days, and for outside of the US it's much, much worse

snailtime

Quote from: BlueKrono on June 11, 2024, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 11, 2024, 12:17:34 PM
Quote from: NSD Bashe on June 11, 2024, 04:40:52 AMI seem to recall someone was looking for this Darwin beetle?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204701365203?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D266785%2C266792%26meid%3Da47865bb3c824825af48582ff24c4ddf%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D135075566764%26itm%3D204701365203%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWebV9BertRefreshRankerWithCassiniEmbRecall&_trksid=p2332490.c101224.m-1

maybe @BlueKrono ?

Yes! @snailtime (the eBay seller) and I had a conversation about it here: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=3343.msg40181#msg40181

I picked up a version of it with the same mold but slightly different color in March. I think I'll go for this one too. Thanks for looking out!

Argh sorry I didn't know you'd be interested in buying a second one or I would have let you know before I even listed it. I'll ship it out very soon. I came into a big bag of Wing Mau beetles a couple of months ago from someone on Facebook marketplace. I drove through a near ice storm to pick them up and the woman selling them thought I was insane haha. I listed most of them so other collectors would have the chance to add to their collection. I actually had two extra Darwin beetles so if anyone else would like the last one the listing is up again.

snailtime

Both variations of both the chameleon and horned lizard made by New-Ray together in one lot:
Vintage New-Ray Lizards Toy Chameleon & Horned Lizard (Lot of 4)

Saarlooswolfhound

EpicRaptorMan

snailtime

bmathison1972

Quote from: snailtime on June 22, 2024, 05:03:39 AMWing Mau Ironclad Beetle (and some lizards)

the more interesting thing is that (presumably unbranded) harlequin bug! I have never seen a figure of that species before.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 22, 2024, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: snailtime on June 22, 2024, 05:03:39 AMWing Mau Ironclad Beetle (and some lizards)

the more interesting thing is that (presumably unbranded) harlequin bug! I have never seen a figure of that species before.

@bmathison1972 if you're going to get the lot for the bug, there's two lizards I'd be interested in taking off your hands...the Canada shipping is terrible so between that and the exchange I can't justify it!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 22, 2024, 02:47:14 PM

@bmathison1972 if you're going to get the lot for the bug, there's two lizards I'd be interested in taking off your hands...the Canada shipping is terrible so between that and the exchange I can't justify it!

@sbell - sorry but I won't be pursuing it. If I was, I would gladly send you whatever I didn't want.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 22, 2024, 03:27:24 PM

@sbell - sorry but I won't be pursuing it. If I was, I would gladly send you whatever I didn't want.

No worries. Wasn't sure if the unfamiliar bug was going to get your attention!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 22, 2024, 03:36:01 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 22, 2024, 03:27:24 PM

No worries. Wasn't sure if the unfamiliar bug was going to get your attention!

It would have several years ago, but when I expanded my collection beyond arthropods, I tightened the criteria on collecting arthropods.