News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 07, 2012, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSD Bashe

Gwangi

That is very interesting, and I want it. I would also like to know if it is a knockoff and if an original version is around but if I can't turn anything up then I'll likely buy it.

bmathison1972

Those are 'Frankenstein' life cycles out of China, where they take components from other companies' models and make life cycle sets out of them. I have seen them using CollectA insects and Bullyland snails, too. They might produce some original material to complete a given set, but they also bootleg molds from other companies

Gwangi

That makes sense. Especially since that horseshoe crab one does a terrible job of recreating the lifecycle. I don't recognize any of those models though, and I looked on ToyAnimalWiki.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on September 30, 2022, 03:53:52 PMThat makes sense. Especially since that horseshoe crab one does a terrible job of recreating the lifecycle. I don't recognize any of those models though, and I looked on ToyAnimalWiki.

they take a lot from China and Japan too.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 30, 2022, 05:02:31 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 30, 2022, 03:53:52 PMThat makes sense. Especially since that horseshoe crab one does a terrible job of recreating the lifecycle. I don't recognize any of those models though, and I looked on ToyAnimalWiki.

they take a lot from China and Japan too.

Yeah, I guess ToyAnimalWiki is not as complete a resource as we would like it to be.

MudpupWaterdog

I have that horsehoe crab set, can confirm it's a knockoff Frankenstein. I normally don't go in for knockoffs but horseshoe crabs are my favorite animal so I did get this one, as well as a Frankenstein dragonfly life cycle set because I wanted a dragonfly nymph for my collection.

The "egg" portion is, I believe, the sea turtle nest from the Safari life cycle. The young ones on the leaves look very familiar to me but I can't place the originals.

Here they are living with my other Horsehoes:

Gwangi

Thanks for sharing @MudpupWaterdog. I do think I'll end up getting the set, the price is certainly right and I also have a love for horseshoe crabs.

EpicRaptorMan

@MudpupWaterdog you mind putting something to scale with all those horseshoe crabs? I've been meaning to snag one for awhile but couldn't find the best suited for my needs.

MudpupWaterdog

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on October 01, 2022, 06:18:08 PM@MudpupWaterdog you mind putting something to scale with all those horseshoe crabs? I've been meaning to snag one for awhile but couldn't find the best suited for my needs.

I'm away from America for a moment and won't be back for some months (it's an older photo) but the smaller of the two was about 2 inches/7 cm long, and the larger one was about 4.5 inches/15cm long.

NSD Bashe

BlueKrono

Be mindful of Feedback on eBay. It's there for a reason.
I like turtles.

NSD Bashe

Shane

MAJOR caveat that these prices are pretty insane, but there is a seller with some interesting vintage Safari Ltd listings.

As I said, the prices are pretty bonkers, but it looks like they accept offers, so maybe they're flexible.

Full set of Safari Deep Sea GITD fish, looks like it has all the lures - https://www.ebay.com/itm/334604317366

Some Monterey Bay stuff including TWO Pacific White-Sided Dolphins - https://www.ebay.com/itm/334576904767

Lots of vintage sea creatures stuff, old Mako Shark, Sea Otters, Eagle Ray - https://www.ebay.com/itm/334576908170

Legitimately would be tempted if not for the prices, but figured I'd post here for any master hagglers out there.

NSD Bashe

oh I've seen that seller before, I think they also have or had some large Play Visions sea creatures at one point
pricey but still a cool find there, especially the full set of deep sea fish

Shane

They still do have some Play Visions auctions and a few other animal auctions going, but I wasn't sure how rare/desirable any of the other stuff is.

There's also this (again, pretty overpriced) auction with 2 Safari Leafy Seadragons: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334576914919

NSD Bashe

Oh yeah I thought about that one actually but it is pretty expensive; I couldn't figure out what brand the squid and cuttlefish were...

EpicRaptorMan

Would be nice if another brand made a more reasonably sized leafy sea dragon.