News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, February 17, 2013, 06:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

We have a Shapeways thread for Prehistorics, so why not one for modern animals too? Sadly there aren't as many creators for animal figures as there are for dinos, but I have managed to find a couple of stores:

MiniNature http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mininature
Eric's Studio http://www.shapeways.com/shops/erics_studio?s=0 Possibly my fave so far, his cuttlefish and frogs are stunning :)
ChoseTec http://www.shapeways.com/shops/brianchan various articulated crustaceans and insects

If you know of any more, please share 8)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Very nice, thanks for posting, tyrantqueen! :) I knew Eric's Studio but not the others. I'm still tempted to buy the "Giant Beetle" - although it says "Goliath" it's actually a Mecynorrhina oberthueri - once considered extremely rare and dried specimens sold for several thousands. In the 1990s new localities were found and it's not considered that rare anymore, they were even reared in captivity. But still one of my favourite beetles! ^-^ And there's lots of other interesting new stuff, too! :o

sbell

I have a couple of Eric's earliest ammonites, but I had no idea he had become so prolific.  As cool as it all is, I am guessing I won't be able to afford a Shapeways order anytime soon! Between this and the dinos being put up by mb-cg, there is quite the list growing!

brontodocus

I remember some of his ammonites were already visible for a long time but not available for sale. Maybe there were issues with the models and they were repaired?

chanda

I was wondering, for those of you who have purchased some of Eric's ammonites from Shapeways, what do you think of the finished products?
I am thinking about ordering a few to use in the classroom, since there are very few models available of the heteromorphic ammonite species (just the impossible-to-find-and-prohibitively-expensive Kaiyodo polyptychoceras and nipponites, that I'm aware of).
Any opinions?
Thanks!

brontodocus

I have Eric Thorsen's Heteroceras and Megacrioceras and they are both very nice. I never photographed them because I haven't painted them, yet. I bought them in "White, Strong & Flexible" because it's the cheapest (but certainly not the best detailed) and I was worried other materials may break during shipping. I know sbell, OkapiBoy and Postsaurischian (and probably others here) have them, too - and I remember OkapiBoy posted very nicely painted versions of his on the Dinosaur Toy Forum.

sbell

Quote from: chanda on April 23, 2013, 07:50:30 PM
I was wondering, for those of you who have purchased some of Eric's ammonites from Shapeways, what do you think of the finished products?
I am thinking about ordering a few to use in the classroom, since there are very few models available of the heteromorphic ammonite species (just the impossible-to-find-and-prohibitively-expensive Kaiyodo polyptychoceras and nipponites, that I'm aware of).
Any opinions?
Thanks!

They keep their detail quite well, but I would be wary of letting kids (or anybody!) handle them too much. Plus, they are quite small.

If you are in need of ammonite models that can survive kids, I would suggest hunting down the Bullyland ammonite models. THeir paint may rub off, but the models themselves will be okay. I am not sure, however, if they are still in production or not.

brontodocus

At least they are not in the current Bullyland Catalogue anymore... :-\ Although the re-released prehistoric mammals were not listed in the catalogue either. I know that at least some shops here in Germany still have the larger ammonite.

chanda

Thanks for the feedback on the Shapeways Ammonites from Eric's Studio! I've just placed my order for Heteroceras WSFP, Megacrioceras WSFP, Provitoceras 5cm FUD, and Bostrychoceras 5.4cm FUD and I'm really looking forward to getting them. I'll probably go back and order more later. I really like the Cantholytoceras and the Baculites and Cameroceras.

The small size doesn't bother me - at approx. 5 cm, they're comparably sized to all of the Kaiyodo Dinotales creatures that I've accumulated. I like the Bullyland ammonite, but it's the traditional coiled shape, which I already have represented with the Kaiyodo Pachydiscus and Douvilleiceras. I've been looking for heteromorphic ammonites, to give my students a better idea of the diversity of the ammonites.

brontodocus

It was probably a good decision to order FUD instead of WD or BD, it takes longer but shapeways takes more care in packaging them, so fragile parts may be wrapped in a small sheet of foam. :) At least they did with some of the David Krentz minis I ordered in FUD.

dinocat62

I have almost all of Eric's ammonites. The Cameroceras and Pravitoceras I had to order in FUD. Cantholytoceras and Bostrychoceras in FD.