News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

River Horse: Hippos

Started by OkapiBoy, February 16, 2013, 01:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 20, 2013, 12:25:40 PM
Quote from: sbell on February 17, 2013, 04:46:04 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 17, 2013, 04:00:10 AM

Also, is the title of this thread not erroneous? I thought hippos were related to cetaceans, not horses...

Hippopotamus literally means "River Horse" in ancient Greek.

It's called 'Flusspferd' in German, which also means 'River Horse' :).
Sometimes official naming is wrong, but that's how it is.

In Dutch it is Nijlpaard- Nile horse  :))

Jetoar

Safari and Papo, the best hippos form my point of view
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: Ana on February 20, 2013, 12:03:29 PM
You have great collection of hippos Robert, and all great quality ones, congrats!  :D

I see the Yowie pigmy hippo first time, what a nice figure in lovely walking pose, thank You for sharing Sbell! :D

It was a lucky one from a trade several years ago--I didn't even know it existed, but it was in the list of available figures, so i went for it! Pretty happy about it, since I never did get the colorata one.

OkapiBoy

Wow, some really nice Hippo figures there! That Lineol Hippo is big! ;D
Here is the new 2013 Hippo from Schleich

The baby is really cute! ^-^

sauroid

those new Schleich hippos are must haves
my re-ment hippo

sauroid

Takama

after begging my owner to walk for 2 hours straight, he comes home with this.

A highly detailed River horse. Its a good figure though does the mouth seem a little to Big?

Jetoar

Wonderful images. I think that Schleich have done a good work with this figure. The best: details of the mouth  ^-^.

AnimalToyForum

brontodocus

The second photo is my favourite! :) Hey, is that mouth full of saliva? ;D

Takama

yes the mouth is covered in a wet looking  sheen, to resemble saliva

brontodocus

Finally, 2014 brought us a Pygmy Hippopotamus (actually, it's even two of them) by a major brand! :D So here are the new CollectA Wild Life Pygmy Hippopotamus (88686) & Calf (88687), Choeropsis (syn.: Hexaprotodon) liberiensis (Morton, 1849). While I haven't measured the calf (which would represent a very young one that should probably be a good deal smaller to be in scale with the adult, but that's often the case with adults and calves by the same manufacturer), the adult has a snout-vent length of 101 mm, a shoulder height of 47, and a total height of 51 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:16 - 1:17. The last photo gives a size comparison with the huge Safari Ltd Wildlife Wonders Hippopotamus which is about the same scale (1:15 - 1:17).

Not only more terrestrial and much smaller than its larger cousin, the Pygmy Hippopotamus is also much rarer, restricted to a few Western African countries (Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Côte d'Ivoire, with a population or subspecies in Nigeria already being extinct). With a total population of probably less than 3,000 individuals remaining, IUCN classifies the species as "Endangered".

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

widukind

Jetoar

Another great walk arounds as always  ^-^. Collecta definetly have done a great work with these figures. I hope to see this figure in stores for my birthday  ^-^.

MartinH

They are wonderful. I was not sure if I want them but now... on my wishlist for sure  :) :)

OkapiBoy

Lovely figures, so great to  have another obscure species added to the list. The baby is cute :)

brontodocus

Many thanks, all!  :) Yes, I believe the calf is one of the cutest animal toy figures I've ever seen... but it really matches the real thing. I've once seen a baby in Duisburg Zoo, they are also quite tiny just after birth, not much larger than a human baby! ;D

Takama

This is the first Hippo Figure made by Safari Ltd. It was originally Colored Pale Grey, but it recently was repainted to match the new model that was released in 2014

I got this at the Saint Louis Zoo, which sells There figures at high Prices, but I did not care to much.

My question is, why is it Purple, Here's a Real Hippo I seen at the zoo

I can see some Purple, but its mostly Grey.   

widukind

Jetoar

Really beautiful and old figure. Old figures are a treasure  ^-^.