News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Canids

Started by brontodocus, February 11, 2013, 10:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

yeah I won't like, it's a bit big for my tastes, but it's workable!

SerAndrew

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2024, 11:45:36 AMyeah I won't like, it's a bit big for my tastes, but it's workable!

What you mean with workable?
And you say you dont like, but the photo is yours, right?

bmathison1972

Uggg. Typos.

1. 'like' should have been 'lie'
2. workable means it's not the ideal size for me but it works
3. yes, it's my pic

bmathison1972

CollectA 2023 Border Collie:

EpicRaptorMan

I've had purebred border Collies. They're expensive now and not a good dog for a beginner

bmathison1972

CollectA Toy Poodle.

This figure started the 'new wave' of really good dog figures by CollectA that got me interested in expanding breeds. I didn't initially get it because, well to be honest, I absolutely hate poodles. I think they are one of the most wretched breeds of dogs. But, I thought it would be good to round out this new wave. And besides, we don't have to like every species or breed we collect, do we?

Saarlooswolfhound

*politely steps onto a small soapbox*... I don't think you have like everything you collect. Perhaps a bit more philosophical... but I would imagine anyone who buys a model that is not truly a valued piece still has some sort of appreciation for it. I.e. is it the dog breed of poodle itself that you don't like? Or owners of them? That could be real life people you know who have them, but what I meant is those who designed the breed as it is today.

For instance, I am not the biggest fan of retreivers (in this case both Golden and Labrador). I appreciate what the dog is supposed to be/should be. But in my experience they have been bred to be incredibly energetic and in some cases bull-headed. This combined with that for whatever reason they were branded as "best family dogs", there are way too many people who get one and have zero idea of what they're doing with them. This leads to so many cases of poorly mannered dogs and often dogs who get abandoned. I have known a lot of poodles and mixes in my life. My childhood dog was a maltipoo X teacup poodle and he was a splendid companion. But I know a lot of naughty ones too. My sister has a 2 year old that is a true handful. That said, dog breeds are very much so a matter of personal taste. *climbs off soapbox*

Nice poodle Blaine. :)

bmathison1972

I don't like the breed itself. Some of what I wrote above was tongue-in-cheek (hard to appreciate in writing) but my personal encounters with poodles have not been pleasant. I find them loud, mean-spirited, and usually aggressive, sometimes to all but one or a few people in their own household. I also find some of the elaborate grooming unattractive LOL.

Saarlooswolfhound

Here is my newest addition, the Rebor "Low Roar" Dire Wolf.

Given my interest in canids I wanted to break this model down for people still debating over getting one, please excuse the lengthy post...

I debated even getting this model as I have strong feelings about this species and consequently this model. But after long deliberation and internal debate... I decided it wouldn't hurt. ;) I am not able to review it for the Animal Toy Blog as it was previously reserved for review, but I still wish to explain some of my internal conflict while presenting this model to the community. Prepare for quite a few photos!

First off, there are two elements to tackle when considering this species and those would be the real living animal as it was during its time on Earth, as well as the modern pop culture renditions of it in the face of humanity and its imagination. First, I will address the former.

This species has undergone quite a lot of re-evaluations as of the last few years and it has shaken up nearly everything we know about this animal. When it was once thought to be an American species only (largely North American, with some dispersal to South America), a recent discovery has landed this animal in China also. This discovery led to some confusion about this animal's distribution as it generally is not found above the 42 degrees N. latitude; previously thought to be due to ice sheets and glaciers. The discovery in 2020 of fossils in northeast China indicate that these guys made tracks across Beringia when it was present. Otherwise, these animals inhabited nearly every type of environment present in the Americas at the time; desert, plains, forests, swamps, you name it! Given their heavily dense fossil record, it is also believed that these animals were social and lived in family groups as most modern canines do today. In additions to this common canid trait, the animal itself has long been believed to be an ancestor or close cousin of modern gray wolves. The physical attributes of their skeleton are nearly identical to modern North American gray wolf varieties with the only significant divergence being that they are built very robust; easily rivaling the largest of modern gray wolves in size such as the Yukon or Mackenzie River wolves in Canada. But again, with recent DNA analysis and studies this has been revised. While these animals share nearly identical traits to wolves, the samples taken from their ear bones of the best-preserved specimens indicate that these animals diverged from the canine lineage somewhere around 5.7 mya. Their closest living relatives have been indicated to be jackals, not wolves. This provides the understanding that while they are incredibly similar, some have argued nearly identical in morphology with wolves, this is an excellent case of convergent evolution. This study also removed the dire wolf and both its species (dirus dirus and dirus guildayi) into its own genus: Aenocyon.

These animals are perhaps best well known from the impressive collection at La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles California. More than 4,000 specimens have been excavated there! They have been found alongside their now distant cousins of Pleistocene age modern gray wolves. This deposit of animals has been one of the largest studied populations of fossil mammals due to its incredible preservation and density of individuals. Again, these animals were thought to be social and live in family groups as nearly all canids do today. There are very few pups found in the tar pits, leading experts to believe that these young animals would be kept away from excursions with the adults until they reached an appropriate age (likely they would be left with a babysitter wolf as modern wolves do also). These specimens show incredible pathologies that can give us small glimpses into their social lives; broken and healed long bones indicate kicks from prey items (ice age horses, camels, bison, etc.) which would imply that these animals' social nature would provide care giving to pack mates. Broken baculums would indicate possible sexual competition between adult animals. Broken teeth points towards the value of breaking into bones of prey animals to access highly nutritional bone marrow. There are even indications of various disease that may or may not have helped lead them to extinction; such as osteochondrosis dessicans, a joint disease where the joints become sensitive and easily traumatized after repeated stress. No one can say that these "wolves" did not live a full life.

Now we can get to the actual model. Due to the fact that soft tissue rarely survives in the fossil record, there is a lot of artistic liberty to be had in replications of such animals. For me, this animal went a little too heavy on the modern wolf interpretation for my taste, but I also understand that this particular sculpt was long in production and perhaps had been decided on previous to the above studies coming out. Having it in hand I think it is a high-quality model and well done, the detractions of it for me are purely due to personal taste, I am sure. So please... take my upcoming commentary with a hefty dose of salt. ;)

First and foremost, I feel that the proportions of the shoulder girdle and chest are a bit exaggerated in comparison to its pelvic girdle. The animal has an almost "bodybuilder" type physique due to this. The depth of the chest could have been lessened and the width of the actual humerus and muscle attachments less exaggerated to give the sculpt a more balanced feel. As it is, it almost has more cat like proportions in this regard; cats can actually use their front limbs for gripping which in turn makes this proportional difference something that makes sense, while canines can use their front limbs, they do not have the same dexterity and effectiveness as a feline does. Having the model in hand I feel like there is a lateral or dorsal compression. What I mean by this is that the animal more oval shaped rather than rounded in its features if you were to bisect it down the median plane. This could be intentional, it could be a product of the manufacturing process (we know that depending on the mould reproduction process some dimensional loss can be normal with production); but for me it strikes me as a sort of odd feature, making it more greyhound like in appearance (especially when combined with the deep chest as noted above). These animals surely could reach impressive speeds, but they are not built in a way to indicate as much. Further, at least for me, this is most noticeable in the neutral pose head, making it my least favorite of the 3. Lastly, my only other complaint would be in the feet. This one is difficult to explain, but overall, the position of the metacarpals and metatarsals is rather steep in its setting, making the posture look uncomfortable as if the feet are in a permanent contracture. The actual foot pads are perhaps the only feature of this I have found to be truly disappointing though, they are too rounded and generic in form. Luckily this isn't something that is a display issue, so it is easily dismissed. The inside of the mouth in comparison, is well sculpted and looks quite realistic overall. The eyes on my specific model all seem to be well painted on each swappable head piece. My full on open mouth head does not seem to fit as well as the other two, and the seam is most noticeable on that one. So for me, the snarling face (not a full open mouth) is my preferred head piece. My last commentary on the model itself would be the paint work... it is "ok", a representative of the brand on DTF claims that they sacrificed superior paintwork to make the model more affordable, hence why it doesn't match promo images. I would rather have paid a little more for a better painted product, but at this point there isn't anything that can be done for it. They have some vague pattern present with the highlights and dark points, I just don't think it really adds anything for the figure given the overall end presentation.

Lastly, I would like to briefly address the pop culture aspect of this species. While it has become incredibly popular in modern media, sadly it is often misrepresented and turned into a gray wolf on steroids. While these animals were large, robust, and wolf like in appearance, they were so much more than just the "monster" interpretation that they are so often given. This is likely partly the reason why this figure itself is quite wolf like as it adds to its possible sale value and would broaden its customer appeal. Canines have been omnipresent in the human psyche nearly since time began and that hasn't changed whatsoever. This species however is nearly absent from the toy collecting world, with only very few other figures made of it and they in turn also being very wolf like (dare I say, interchangeable). I do hope for more acknowledgement for these animals in the future from companies, but more than likely their own interpretation will suffer from the "wolf but bigger" ideal. Hopefully, there may be renditions someday that will draw more on its unique features rather than its similarities to other canids, such as Mauricio Anton's work did for it. But I suppose, only time will tell...

Mauricio Anton's paleoart

I hope you enjoyed seeing this model "out in the wild" and what information I could relay on this iconic and still very little understood animal. I hope to see it embraced and maybe break the ice for future interpretations of it in the toy world!

bmathison1972

CollectA maned wolf:

bmathison1972

The two extant raccoon dogs in the genus Nyctereutes:

Play Visions common raccoon dog:

Kaiyodo Japanese raccoon dog:

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Safari Ltd. red fox (2008):

bmathison1972

Schleich 2024 Old English Sheepdog: